Lets talk food plots
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lets talk food plots

This is a discussion on Lets talk food plots within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I reckon a lot of you guys live in the city. I still do. Started clearing some of my land to put up a cabin. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Lets talk food plots

XDs

Lets talk food plots

I reckon a lot of you guys live in the city. I still do. Started clearing some of my land to put up a cabin. Gonna break ground this spring.

But anyway. How many of y'all that hunt your own land or leased land maintain good plots? Yeah. I've run into lots of preppers that consider it a waste of land. And many hunters that believe it's cheating. Just like hunting over a feeder.

Me? I'm of a different mindset. Facts are. Food plots increase the overall health of the entire animal population on and around your land. Granted. I live in Iowa. Where there's plenty of corn and beans for wildlife to eat. But a properly managed food plot can keep these wild animals fed and nearby year round. Giving you more meat to harvest. And in a worse case scenario can provide you with sustenance if worse comes to worse.

I don't have the biggest plot of land out there. Only a bit over sixty acres now. But it's big enough for me to plant four two acre food plots. Since I started em I've seen a huge influx of oheseant and rabbit. And the deer have been on average of fifty pounds heavier than before I was maintaining them. And like I was saying before they can give us extra food to eat. No. I've never been much of a green thumb. But do have my own gardens. Even still. There's beets and a bunch of other stuff you can harvest if you need to with a lot less maintenanc.
    Slippy and darsk20 like this.

Food Plots go hand in hand with good game management.
    A Watchman and darsk20 like this.

Dittos. All good game management plans should incorporate wildlife plots. Used to get to hunt up on the Waggoner Ranch back in the good old days. They had them scientifically spaced out over half a million acres. That place is now up for sale for only 725 million if anybody needs a bug out location.

Ranches and Land : W.T. Waggoner | Briggs Freeman Sothebys International Realty
    darsk20 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Food plots benefit everyone and they are loaded with edibles for humans too. Nothing wrong with a fat purple top turnip. I started hunting our 300 acre farm late this year so it was too late to plant anything. I will next year though. Hunting foodplots is no less ethical than hunting over an oak stand with acorns everywhere. I did plant one on our 100 acre farm but have not been back to check on it yet. I'm going to do some post rut hunting there in December. Good luck!
    Slippy, A Watchman and darsk20 like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

XDs

I've always done better hunting post rut. Yeah hunting rut is easy. Ya can be erratic and be successful. But hunt their food and you're golden. I've probably harvested three quarters of my venison after the rut.
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.

With out some preventive action animals will leave little for you in your food plot. 4 nice deer standing in my yard right now looking for any free meal they can find.
    Winter now but summer no different raccoons, deer, rabbits, mice you name it all looking for a quick easy free meal.
    Managed right a lot of food can be grown on a small peace of land.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

XDs

Mice are good eating.

XDs

Anyway. They really are.

But Smitty is right any animal that can take a free meal will. And I'm not talking about replacing your gardens with food plots. Me? With everything else I couldn't maintain a garden or field on every acre of land I have. I'm more lucky than most. I have more land than I need. So I found ways to use the land I have to foster more growth. Coons? Yotes kill am pretty regular. Rabbit? Yotes and fox seem to have a rough time taking them out with the thick underbrush round my plots. Deer? It does take some time out of my day. But keeping the packs culled does throw a bit of extra cash in my pocket. Furrs are going high dollar right now. So the yote packs don't really get big enough to be a threat to the deer. Coins haven't really caught up round here and don't run off like they used to so the yotes kill em off pretty quick. Trapping takes care of the rest.

Even last year when I didn't have much time to hunt and didn't get my fire bearers the animals didn't start digging for root veggies till after the first freeze. So there would have still been plenty to scavenge from it if I'd of needed to.
    darsk20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XDs View Post
    Mice are good eating.
    Cats are better more meat

I had a two pound brick of butter that was bad I sat it out and watched a opossum eat it LOL
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 11-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.

XDs

Never been a fan of cat. Had it on a stick in Hong Kong and didn't sit right with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links