7.62x39 for grouse ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 for grouse ?

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 for grouse ? within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I hunt grouse every year. I dont like using a shotgun because I dont like picking crap out of my dinner. So far I use ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 for grouse ?

7.62x39 for grouse ?

I hunt grouse every year.
    I dont like using a shotgun because I dont like picking crap out of my dinner.
    So far I use a .22 and its hit or miss lol :p
    Ive noticed that grouse are nearly bullet proof. In the past ive put more than several .22 into a grouse before it even slowed it down. So my though was perhaps a .223 but I cant afford a new rifle atm.
    I once heard a brief mention that 7.62x39 is ideal for grouse. But nothing more on that.
    Non corrosive ammo would be good, or will this caliber destroy the bird ?
    Im thinking my sks with a scout scope or open sights.
    Also tips on finding these damn critters lol im told my area is crawling with them but I find one or two a day if that.

You want to hunt birds the size of a small chicken with a rifle capable of killing deer? Don't know about Canada but down here you can't hunt game birds with anything other than bird shot (no buckshot or rifles).
    Slippy, hawgrider, Renec and 1 others like this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    Ive noticed that grouse are nearly bullet proof. In the past ive put more than several .22 into a grouse before it even slowed it down. So my though was perhaps a .223 but I cant afford a new rifle atm.
    I once heard a brief mention that 7.62x39 is ideal for grouse. But nothing more on that.
    Also tips on finding these damn critters lol im told my area is crawling with them but I find one or two a day if that.
    You still have time to totally change your post before the others see it.

Looking after my boy BlackCat!
    hawgrider, Blackcat and Tennessee like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    (Second Response)

Yes, its perfectly fine to shoot grouse, or any other small bird with 7.62x39...as long as a muslime is holding said grouse or other small bird. .50bmg also works fine in that situation.
    hawgrider, Renec, Blackcat and 4 others like this.

No longer here.

Blackcat, if you can't be successful on Grouse (As they drum log's to announce thier presence) I must admit that Ya'll should use Elephant rifles on Misquotes. I've eaten more grouse waylay-ed with a hand thrown rock than taken with Birdshot from a 410,16,or 20 Guage. My Grouse Suggestion is a 4 OZ rock, a pine stick of 16 inches or more, and the pocket knife of Ya'lls choice. JMHO.
    Blackcat likes this.

Sounds to me more like a accuracy problem then a caliber problem.
    Blackcat likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Blackcat likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

If you hit a ruffed grouse in the wild with a 7.62x39 in PA you may get feathers and skin to eat. A shotgun is an instinctive weapon to be used quickly. A rifle not so much. Your way more likely to miss or hit something unintended Blackcat. Just thinking of my time out in the thick viney stuff they like to hang in and spring up with a God awful noise when your about to step on them. Gone in the blink of an eye.
    Seneca and Blackcat like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

What!
    A 410 works just fine. A Mossberg 500E with a 24" vent rib barrel is just the ticket for getting grouse. YMMV
    Blackcat likes this.

No longer here.

Come on, 18 inches of 410 is more than enough for grouse zigzaging through the pine stands. Put it on them while they are drumming the timber, a stick or rock is more than enough.If Ya'll are good enough you can ring their necks before the wingbeats end.
    nicknewberry likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links