7.62x39 for grouse ? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 for grouse ?

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 for grouse ? within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by cdell Not sure what province you are in but in Sask it is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 for grouse ?

Quote Originally Posted by cdell View Post
    Not sure what province you are in but in Sask it is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with a center fire rifle; only rimfire rifles or shotgun. Migratory game birds are shotgun only and steel shot. I hunt grouse with a 22 all the time. Headshots only. Sounds like you need to practice more or need a more accurate rifle. They are a delicate bird and don't take much to kill.
    if you want more power in a bullet, why not go for a .17 hmr..its a rimfire round
    Blackcat and MisterMills357 like this.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
    And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And hell followed with him.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Personally I use my .50 cal Cva Optima inline muzzle-loader with a power belt ballistic tip and a 100 grain powder charge. One shot one kill. I just shoot for the beak and if I miss the concussion knocks them out long enough to retrive then hit them in the head with the synthetic buttstock. No waste of meat that way.
    Y'all realize the above is my attempt at sarcasm. I know of
    no bird hunters in meatchicken that use anything but a shoutgun. You freaking Canadians are goofy! Funny thread though.
    Blackcat likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

No longer here.

Well, I've been told that during the Korean Conflict one Old Army Platoon Sargent used a Water Cooled Machine Gun on Pheasant. Unfortunately he didn't lead it enough so he only managed to start a small brush fire with the Tracer Rounds. So I can't relay how effective the 50 Cal is for Bird Hunting. But it has been used overseas anyway. LOL
    Blackcat and MisterMills357 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It could work, and after you harvest a few, you can determine the effectiveness of it for yourself. If it blows a big hole through the bird and the meat, don't fret, it may still be a workable solution.
    It just depends upon how destructive it is, what it leaves intact, versus what is destroyed. You are the judge on that one, if it works OK, then you have a good method.
    PS:: When you can afford a new rifle, get a .22 MAGNUM. I have seen one punch a hole through a mild steel plate. After seeing that, I traded my TC Contender for it.
    Something just like this will kill grouse, and with every shot shot you should get you a bird. You will have as happy as can be with it. You can use solid or HP, then figure out which works best, after you shoot a few of them.
    PSS: I am giving honorable mention to the .17 HMR too, and I have never fired one. But, the numbers are there and everything that I have read about it, sounds good. It should punch right through a grouse.

Attachment 13121
    This one is priced at $220, that is cheap, and it is an excellent brand name to boot.
    Up for sale we have this Mossberg model 142A .22 bolt action rifle. This rifle has a Tasco 4x40 scope already mounted. The metal on this rifle is all chrome plated and in good condition. The writing however is a little worn. The wood stock is in good shape with only a couple of small dings and scratches. Bore is clean.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/464062...w--scope--1157
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 10-12-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Blackcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Y'all realize the above is my attempt at sarcasm. I know of
    no bird hunters in meatchicken that use anything but a shoutgun. You freaking Canadians are goofy! Funny thread though.
    LoL I did get the sarcasm haha you're right we are goofy. Wait till you see what we can do with a frozen beaver
    Speaking of beavers... One ate the bridge to my shooting range. Ive got to get that fixed today before the snow flies.

.17hmr thats another one I didnt think of. It looks good, up there with .22mag im going to do some research on these calibers a bit thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links