7.62x39 for grouse ? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 for grouse ?

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 for grouse ? within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; use bigger shot maybe like #4 or something? maybe a 22 mag?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 for grouse ?

use bigger shot maybe like #4 or something?
    maybe a 22 mag?
    Blackcat likes this.
    oops

Haha yes thats correct 7.62x39 lol. Im not using this... It was a question :p My first thought was .223
    But I dont have anything in that caliber. .22 works for locals but not so much for me. I would rather not use a shotgun but if I have too... Well that works.

A .22 mag now thats a possibility... I believe thats what the previois owner of this place used.
    #4 buck... Possibly. See I like to hunt and eat game bird but nobody in my family touches it because weve all had bad experiences biting down on stray shot. Im trying to avoid that unless im actually starving. When I run this by other hunters in my region they are usually a bit surprised that anyone would use a shotgun around here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I like to fix bayonet on the old No.1 MkIII...that way you have the option to shoot them as they fly if you miss your bayonet stroke. 'Course, it's a little unwieldy in the piney woods but since we're talking grouse with a SKS (BTW, do you have the underfolding bayonet or the stick-on kind? I think the stick-on kind are little pointier, guess it depends on whether you are a thruster or a slasher), I'm guessing we are actually talking about the most sportin way of going about it. Sure, anyone can knock over a grouse with rock or a stick, or maybe even a head shot with a .22 pistol...but flyin'? With a SKS? C'mon, it doesn't get much more sportin than that. We are talking those stupid blue grouse, right? The ones that fly ten feet after you spook them? Give you plenty of chances to snuff em? Head shots, OK, but give them the bayonet option. You'll be glad you did. Because the prairie chickens around here will not at all ever give you a chance to throw a rock at em and kill em. No way. You don't even know they are there until they've scared the daylights out of you and are long gone out of range before you can get your composure back and get off a shot. Even over dogs, sometimes. Worse than dang pheasants. A nice little 20 ga upland gun is perfect. Why carry a heavy 12 around all day if you aren't going to shoot it?
    Blackcat likes this.

Yeah lmao its the dumb ones. Ive heard the prairie ones are more difficult. The local ones often commit suicide under peoples truck tires.
    You could hit them with a stick. But again where I am its all thick brush and waist level grass. I tend to lose sight of these buggers pretty quick.
    A 20 guage would be nice.

Ya know, there's the old burlap sack and stick approach...when all else fails.

Burlap sack ? I can see using a stick but whats the sack for, to put the chicken in ?

I sense a snipe hunt....
    Blackcat, M118LR and Stick like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Over the years I've use everything from a stick to a 30-06,on grouse, that includes bows, rocks and slingshots. I honestly don't know what works best for you, yet a 7.62x39 seems like overkill. Then agan... everybodys style is a bit different.

What I do know is that a sweet and slender 500E Mossberg has claimed a lot of grouse for me over the years. What can I say, other that a 500E is sexy hehehe...anyway that's my fluffy/tasty bird killing gun...and so far it has worked marvelously. YMMV
    Last edited by Seneca; 10-09-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add /it has and ed to the last sentence
    Blackcat and M118LR like this.

I kind of figured 7.62x39 was overkill myself thats why I asked lol. Idk... Decisions. I cant say any of my guns are great for grouse but they seem to be what everyone else around here is using. I think I posted something similar a few years ago someplace. Ive seen grouse take several shots point blank from a .22 and keep going. (No they werent a miss :p ) If I were to use a rifle I think a want a bit more power to get a clean kill.
    A shotgun would work well I may go that rout.
    A .22 mag might also be decent.
    The previous owner of this place left all sorts of ammo around. .22 mag and those .22 bird shot rounds. Its like a regular .22 but its loaded up with bird shot. I gather he used those for grouse and rabbits.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links