7.62x39 for grouse ? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

7.62x39 for grouse ?

This is a discussion on 7.62x39 for grouse ? within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; .22 is legal here no worries. Lots of folks hunt grouse with them. But yes gone in the blink of an eye is what I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 for grouse ?

.22 is legal here no worries. Lots of folks hunt grouse with them. But yes gone in the blink of an eye is what I find.
    I cant see them on the ground the grass is too tall. They take flight and I figure 2-3 seconds and they are gone into the thick brush.
    My only luck has been when they are in the open and thats by chance. In which case no problem getting them.
    Im told by locals a .22 is fine but id rather have something a little more effective.
    I have a 12 guage remington with 28" vent rib... Would that work ?
    Again... Unless im starving I really hate crap from a shotgun in my game. Is it even possible to shoot game birds and not have them full of shot ?

No longer here.

As a child my Grandfather shoot Canadian Geese on the Mississippi during November with a 22 Short, I swam out and retrieved them. We ate good. When I grew to be a Man I had to hunt those same geese with Steel shot and a 12 Gauge by Law, and Fido hit the River to Fetch them home. It became a delicacy. Grandpa accused me of wasting money using a 12 Gauge shell on a GOOSE. I have no reasonable argument that I was ever able to engage with my Grandfather. Now what reason do you have to hunt Grouse with anything other than a rock or stick?
    Blackcat and Stick like this.

I would recommend something smaller, lighter. I have used my Dad's 20 gauge Parker s x s. Great grouse gun. Quick handling, instinctive. Dad was way better at it than I ever was. Then again he survived fighting the Japanese as a Marine in the Solomon's.
    Blackcat likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Personally I use my .50 cal Cva Optima inline muzzle-loader with a power belt ballistic tip and a 100 grain powder charge. One shot one kill. I just shoot for the beak and if I miss the concussion knocks them out long enough to retrive then hit them in the head with the synthetic buttstock. No waste of meat that way.
    Blackcat and Smitty901 like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    As a child my Grandfather shoot Canadian Geese on the Mississippi during November with a 22 Short, I swam out and retrieved them. We ate good. When I grew to be a Man I had to hunt those same geese with Steel shot and a 12 Gauge by Law, and Fido hit the River to Fetch them home. It became a delicacy. Grandpa accused me of wasting money using a 12 Gauge shell on a GOOSE. I have no reasonable argument that I was ever able to engage with my Grandfather. Now what reason do you have to hunt Grouse with anything other than a rock or stick?
    Skill haha... Seriously though its a skill I would also like to develop. Unfortunatly its the same as with a gun... If I cant see them in the tall grass I cant hit them. Theres about 2-3 seconds as they are in flight then they are gone again. Also ive noticed when they flush it always seems to be within 10-20 yards in my experience.

I can follow them and generally track them to wherever they land but then they vanish again till I get close and they fly away again.
    If I could figure out how to spot them and sneak up without frightening them a stick would be good. That sort of tracking amd stalking is what id like to know more about. But seems like a difficult thing to figure out.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    Skill haha... Seriously though its a skill I would also like to develop. Unfortunatly its the same as with a gun... If I cant see them in the tall grass I cant hit them. Theres about 2-3 seconds as they are in flight then they are gone again. Also ive noticed when they flush it always seems to be within 10-20 yards in my experience.

I can follow them and generally track them to wherever they land but then they vanish again till I get close and they fly away again.
    If I could figure out how to spot them and sneak up without frightening them a stick would be good. That sort of tracking amd stalking is what id like to know more about. But seems like a difficult thing to figure out.
    You have to wear moccasins and walk like a Indian.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 10-08-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    Blackcat and M118LR like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Not sure what province you are in but in Sask it is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with a center fire rifle; only rimfire rifles or shotgun. Migratory game birds are shotgun only and steel shot. I hunt grouse with a 22 all the time. Headshots only. Sounds like you need to practice more or need a more accurate rifle. They are a delicate bird and don't take much to kill.
    Blackcat and Prepp(g)er like this.

STOP, STOP RIGHT NOW... a 7.63 round hitting the ground will bounce.. is there any chance there are other hunters around???????

I would NEVER EVER bird hunt with you if you were using a rifle/// even a .22- how would you know if the was not somebody on the other side of the bushes...

If I knew you were within a mile of me..I would leave the woods

AGAIN..STOP, DO NOT PASS GO

If you were hunting were you can see a long long long ways or KNOW there are no others in front of you.. .22 is fine
    Blackcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    STOP, STOP RIGHT NOW... a 7.63 round hitting the ground will bounce.. is there any chance there are other hunters around???????

I would NEVER EVER bird hunt with you if you were using a rifle/// even a .22- how would you know if the was not somebody on the other side of the bushes...

If I knew you were within a mile of me..I would leave the woods

AGAIN..STOP, DO NOT PASS GO

If you were hunting were you can see a long long long ways or KNOW there are no others in front of you.. .22 is fine
    Nobody around here nope. Nearest neighbour from me is several kilometres/miles offgrid living in tents. Once you get to the sealed road from my place its give or take an hour to the nearest signs of life. Not an open flat area either its all steep mountains. Nothing here will travel terribly far unless im aiming at clouds. Certainly anything ive ever shot at here hasnt travelled more than 100 yards and that was what I was aiming at. All of them also hunt grouse with a .22. Im completely sure its legal in my area. Rimfire anyway but I think cdell is correct about centerfire for game birds now that I think about it. So... .22 or shotgun I guess it is. Or sticks and stones.
    cdell likes this.

What....it sounded you said 7.62x39 for Grouse but that can't be. Say it again please....
    Blackcat likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links