Anyone Coyote Hunt?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anyone Coyote Hunt?

This is a discussion on Anyone Coyote Hunt? within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; There are a very large number of coyotes in my area which I can mainly hear at nighttime or see along side the main road ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone Coyote Hunt?

Anyone Coyote Hunt?

There are a very large number of coyotes in my area which I can mainly hear at nighttime or see along side the main road during daylight hours. My cousin and I are wanting to thin them out around our area and wanted to know if anyone on here has had experience in hunting coyotes? If so, are there any tips/equipment that you can/cannot recommend?

Tree stand or blind? What cal. rifle? Redlights? Bait to bring them in? Personal protection?

For Kentucky hunting laws:

Coyotes may be hunted year-round during daylight hours.

Coyotes may be hunted year-round after daylight hours; however, the following restrictions apply:
    •Lights or night-vision may be used: Feb 1 - May 31.
    •Lights and night-vision may not be used: June 1 - January 31.

Other items of note:
    •Artificial lights and night-vision equipment shall not be connected to or cast from a mechanized vehicle.
    •Only shotguns may be used to hunt coyotes after daylight hours.
    •Single projectiles (slugs) are prohibited.
    rickkyw1720pf and Slippy like this.

Any varmint or deer rifle will do fine. Deer rifle is overkill but it makes great practice. In thickets a shotgun is handy.

They have great senses so you need to stay in cover and watch the wind, they will circle to try to wind you.

A good set of binoculars will come in handy as will learning how to use calls, either mechanical or electronic.

Bait will bring them in but they will be wary after getting shot at. May get multiple targets so an accurate semi-auto is a plus. If possible try to get the alpha male and female first as the rest will be in distress without the leaders.

Might want to look over back issues of Fur Fish Game magazine, been a lot of good advice on coyotes the last few years

P.S. save your stripped deer carcasses for bait , either whole in one spot or drag it to make a trail they will follow looking for a gut pile or a wounded deer. When you set up be aware of the wind.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.

I'm by no means an expert but I've been successful a time or two killing coyotes.

I'd suggest you get a predator call. I have a Cass Creek handheld call and it works nicely. It also scares the crap out of unsuspecting people if you want them to get out of bed early. :eek:

Cass Creek Products for Predator Hunting

I'm not a fan of night hunting so early morning or late afternoon should work fine. I'd also suggest being in an elevated stand to let the sound of the predator call travel but also being above the little bastards will give you a sense of security and safety. Personally I have no desire to be in a a ground blind with a pack of coyotes around me.

The last time I called up some coyotes about 4 or 5 circled my stand and it was pretty creepy hearing them work together to surround me. I was using a bolt action rifle chambered in .270 which was overkill to say the least. I was helping a friend kill some hogs on his hunting lease and got bored and pulled out my predator call and called some coyotes in. A semi auto might have allowed me the chance to kill more than one as I wasn't quick enough with the bolt action to get off a second shot on the next coyote after I dropped the first.

.223, .243, 22-250 are all excellent choices. I've heard of hunters killing them with a .17 hmr. too. I guess if I had a .22LR I would probably go for a head shot if I was within 100 yards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Coyote hunting is good winter fun. I have been hunting and trapping them for about 45 years. One of the few hides these days that is worth a decent amount of money.
    Had held calls work good and are inexpensive, but once the dogs get a bit educated an electronic call is a good idea as you can set the speaker away from you so that the incoming coyote focuses on the speaker location and is less likely to see you move.

Calls work well for wolf, fox and the cats as well.
    survival and Slippy like this.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it is a learned one.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I can hear at night if there is one close by. When that happens normally the next morning I will get one from the yard with the crossbow. My dogs let me know where it is. The past five I have gotten have been mature males.
    survival likes this.

Used to hunt them a lot but gave up when the fur market went South. Back in the 80's a good pelt shucked out by somebody who knew what they were doing and with a buyer willing to buy it could fetch 40 bucks. Did not realize there was still a Market for them. Thanks Makwa. Dont think anybody still deals in them around this area anyway. Best fortunes I had with hunting them was broad open daylight using a battery operated call with a small external speaker..wounded rabbit or chicken..then move over to mouth squeaks when they got close. A good way away from the vehicle and plastered on the low side of hill to break up your outline and the wind in your face works best. If your killing the critters for fun any gun will work. If your trying to make a buck I would not get over .22-250. The pros use .222 or 223. They can sure be hunted at night and do require a red spot light to be successful. White light can be used some but tends to spook em. Kindly keep us posted.
    survival likes this.

In Michiagan we can only use rimfire for night hunting.
    But,if a yote is about to do damage,anything goes. On my cousins farm yotes are always about to do damage and a 20" barreled 556 AR with 62 gr Barnes TTSX at around 3000 FPS ruins their day, or night if they are about to do damage.

I have some 55 gr Nosler Partitions to try out in the next few days.They should go about 3100 FPS
    We use the chicken coop and rabbit hutch for "baiting" purposes.They are both under a spotlight on a pole.
    Last edited by AquaHull; 01-05-2015 at 06:38 AM.
    survival likes this.

I love shooting coyotes. We have too many on the farm too. I usually just get a predator call, get downwind with a 30.06 and hide behind a levee. When they are coming in too fast I bark at them and then it's lights out.
    survival likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Bigwheel........... in the old days fur was worth some serious coin. Back in the late 70's I was getting $100 to $120 on yotes and a good lynx was $800 to $1,000. In between there have been lots of years where it was not even worth bothering with most of the furbearers. Last couple years coyote prices have been up and we averaged about $75, which is good for recent times. Waiting to see what the first auction prices are like later this month. Shipped some beaver, fisher, red fox and coyote.

China has some problems and Russia is a mess, so not holding my breath as those are the two markets that drive the industry these days. I will post what the averages are after the sale if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Makwa; 01-05-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    survival and bigwheel like this.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it is a learned one.

The Coyotes here are plentiful but very well educated to hunting pressures. I use a tag team approach usually with the caller about 75-100 yards away and a blind at the optimal angle of the most likely approach. This gives the shooter less scrutiny and keeps them locked on to the caller more than the shooter. We will usually use a electronic decoy and call them in with hand held calls. I use a 223 or 224 TTH in bolt action depending on how long the expected ranges will be. Under 300 or on the move and the 223 is the ticket, over that and the 224 comes out. Here the 223, 22-250 and 243 are the most common tools of the trade gun wise. Most hunting is in the day light hours, preferably in the am.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links