Skinning Stuff
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Skinning Stuff

This is a discussion on Skinning Stuff within the Hunting and Trapping forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; What do I know about skinning something? I know nothing. But I thought I'd add some tutorials. I'm learning. As @ Smitty901 said here "It's ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Skinning Stuff

Super Moderator

Skinning Stuff

What do I know about skinning something? I know nothing. But I thought I'd add some tutorials. I'm learning. As @Smitty901 said here "It's a necessary skill."

This guy seems to know what he's doing.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Pretty much how grand dad taught us nearly 50 years ago. Except the electric sawzall, we used a bone saw.

Great video for those that don't know how.
    Last edited by Chipper; 06-17-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Annie likes this.

He needs to have Tourist sharpen that new knife.
    Camel923 and stevekozak like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Actually, the Blue Ridge Knife monthly catalog has a lot of food processing tools, like cleavers and kitchen knives. It's not all folders and mercenary equipment.

Annie has shown pictures of the meat she is canning or "jarring," and my guess is that she'll be breaking down smaller sides of meat for drying or salting. All she has to do is describe her ideal processing tool, I'll order it at half price from Blue Ridge and polish the edge,

Then Annie can give us a symposium on the long term storage a prepper might need. I hear Mish does the pictures for some members.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Yikes! I didn't know I sold as much survivor and prepper stuff! Oy, vey, I just pull up the Blue Ridge page, and type in a generic word for searching! It fell out of the computer so fast I couldn't stem the tide!

@Annie, if you want to process meat and learn the trade, have no fear! They have cleavers and tools even little hands can manage! Even Gerber (also knife people) makes cleavers, and I already have stones for that company!

Go look at the picture below. When that one popped up, I freaked!

Click on picture to enlarge.

Skinning Stuff-dsc02705.jpg
    Smitty901, Camel923 and Annie like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

That is a quick way to process a deer.

I skin deer the same way, once you get the legs loose just peel if off. The hook blade he used to make the cuts from the hind quarters to the sternum was slick.

I guess not field dressing it is O.K. if you have a way to transport the deer to a place to process it, and it's cold out.

If you've got a long drag to get to the truck I'd field dress it. Sometimes I make a fire and have tenderloin cooked on a stick right in the woods.

There is good flank meat on the ribs. And the ribs/neck make good burger or stew meat. I hate to waste that if I have time to process it, and that is tedious to get all the scraps. Heart and liver are tasty too.

Keeps these coming Annie.

Some ones on small game (rabbits squirrels) , birds (ducks, geese, turkey grouse/quail), hogs, and even different types of ways to process fish will help people out.
    Annie likes this.

Here is something to do with the shanks. They are a PITA to try to process.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...-shank.114261/

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    That is a quick way to process a deer.

I skin deer the same way, once you get the legs loose just peel if off. The hook blade he used to make the cuts from the hind quarters to the sternum was slick.

I guess not field dressing it is O.K. if you have a way to transport the deer to a place to process it, and it's cold out.

If you've got a long drag to get to the truck I'd field dress it. Sometimes I make a fire and have tenderloin cooked on a stick right in the woods.

There is good flank meat on the ribs. And the ribs/neck make good burger or stew meat. I hate to waste that if I have time to process it, and that is tedious to get all the scraps. Heart and liver are tasty too.

Keeps these coming Annie.

Some ones on small game (rabbits squirrels) , birds (ducks, geese, turkey grouse/quail), hogs, and even different types of ways to process fish will help people out.
    Yeah, those guys in the video were pretty wasteful. I quit eating the livers the first time I saw a live liver fluke...

https://www.askaprepper.com/the-ulti...-for-preppers/

popped up today - basic basics but it has some good points to it .....
    Annie likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Super Moderator

Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links