Dial in Ammo ,, A new way to buy?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Dial in Ammo ,, A new way to buy? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I'm getting ready for nice weather ahead of time. I'm learning how to set up my scope so it won't cant and how to set ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hemi45
  • 1 Post By Chipper

Thread: Dial in Ammo ,, A new way to buy?

I'm getting ready for nice weather ahead of time. I'm learning how to set up my scope so it won't cant and how to set correct eye relief and lots of very interesting stuff. I can see how this sport could be addicting. Not just the shooting but the whole thing. There is so much to it.
    Now I'm looking at,,,,,

AMMO,, OK so I need some ammo and I was going to go with match grade and I'm looking to get a few different grains to see what my gun likes.
    Match grade ammo usually comes in 20 round boxes. So I need to buy 60 rounds to get only 3 different grains.

So what if I buy 4 boxes of ammo different grains all the same brand (A top notch brand) and re-box it so each box has 4 different grains?
    And pad the price a little,,Buy one box get 5 shots of different grains to find out what to buy.

Other wise you have a bunch of expensive match grain ammo let over. Would this sell? -- set up ammo--

Buy one box get 4 different grains to try,,,,I'd do that.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

To your buddies, maybe. I wouldn't buy ammo that "some guy" re-boxed but assures me is legit. Moreover, how does someone identify the different weight bullets when they open the little box of chocolates? No thanks, I'll pass.

Great that you're really getting into it though! Trust me, you won't know in just a few shots what ammo your new rifle likes best - there's a lot to learn. Keep it all, shoot it all and enjoy it all.
    redhawk likes this.

No need for me to buy gobs of different ammo. I have a network of like-minded gun nuts with whom I exchange part boxes of ammo like 10-year-olds trade baseball cards.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

That's why you should reload your own ammo, no waste. Especially with the cost of match ammo.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

People that are really "into it" reload their own. That way everything is weighed and measured to exact amounts for dependable performance. A lot of my buddies are into it. Not me I have too many irons in the fire right now, it's over the counter ammo for me at this time in my life.

It maybe a bit early for reloading, but worth looking into. If this is becoming a passion and hobby for you, reloading may well be the next step. You do not have to go broke buying equipment. There are very good ways to do it at a lower cost than what some would have to think.
    Simple Lee Kits can be had at a low cost and have worked well for many years for many.
    I cheated bought the equipment, when son was here I loaded it in his car. reloading his his duty. He has been doing well with it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshinedave View Post
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have too many irons in the fire right now, it's over the counter ammo for me at this time in my life.
    I'm not at that point, I have plenty of free time. But I would rather spend my time at the range shooting rounds instead of sitting on my arse making them.

I've had several opportunities to buy complete reloading kits (used) over the years, but for the time I'd have to invest using it all doesn't make financial sense. I know what my boomsticks like to eat, and in less time I can make it for them I can go out and work my regular job and make more than enough to buy top-notch factory ammo.
    Last edited by Back Pack Hack; 01-11-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I'm not at that point, I have plenty of free time. But I would rather spend my time at the range shooting rounds instead of sitting on my arse making them.

I've had several opportunities to buy complete reloading kits (used) over the years, but for the time I'd have to invest using it all doesn't make financial sense. I know what my boomsticks like to eat, and in less time I can make it for them I can go out and work my regular job and make more than enough to buy top-notch factory ammo.
    I think this man has it figured out. No really the man has learned a true skill,,Reloading. Now he can find something else fun to learn in preparation for shtf
    Smart guy
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I think this man has it figured out. No really the man has learned a true skill,,Reloading. Now he can find something else fun to learn in preparation for shtf
    Smart guy
    Good for him. There's more than one way to skin a cat. He'll use his method, I'll use mine. I'm sure we'll both survive.

Having examined some of these weighty matters over the years..will say poor folks who like to shoot a lot had best learn how to reload or else be rich folks. Poor folks who reload spend so much money to buy all their stuff..it would prob be cheaper just to buy the factory loads and forget it. Reloading and/or running off a batch of white dog should not be done while intoxicated. its best to leave it to Injuneeer type math majors. They take it serious. Nobody else gives a sheet..lol.

Sponsored Links