Are you getting ready...?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Are you getting ready...? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Well are you, or are you just sitting the sidelines seeing no need for urgentcy? Ready for what you ask? Good question, I'll explain exactly ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Are you getting ready...?

Well are you, or are you just sitting the sidelines seeing no need for urgentcy?

Ready for what you ask? Good question, I'll explain exactly what I am talking about here.

The last run on guns and the last ammo shortage occurred right after the Sandy Hook school shooting. The run on guns wasn't quite as bad in 2008 when Obama took office as it was right after the Sandy Hook shooting. After the Sandy Hook shooting some manufactures weren't even accepting new orders for about 6 months. The few out there for sale were commanding premium prices never before seen and desperate folks were paying them! The ammo shortage was pretty tough in 2008, but from my observations it was way worse and stayed worse a bit longer, before things returned to semi normal. Of course even after returning to normal prices didn't at least not on ammunition! It's been a year and a half and it's still dang near impossible to find 22 rim fire ammo! Having experienced the AWB of 1994, the election of Obama in 2008 and the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012, it seems as if each time one of these runs on guns and ammunition happens, the supplies get scarcer and the drought seems to last a bit longer than the last time and the prices are usually a good bit higher each time when supplies do return to normal again.

I got caught with my pants a bit down low in 2008, I mean I had a lot stashed away but not nearly enough to give me a warm fuzzy. But I learned from my lack of attention to detail and lack of fore site. By the time the Sandy Hook shooting happened, I had already laid in huge amounts of supplies and gear. Was it enough? No, not really! But the gun range was very lonely as I usually had the range to myself, since hardly anyone had any ammo and those that did were leary about expending any of it! In fact my Text Toy was about to blow up from all the text I was getting from people in my department willing to sell their soul for enough ammo to do their annual re-qual at whatever price I was willing to charge!

Right now, there are lots of guns, ammo and accessories out there available at fairly reasonable prices. The mid terms are coming up in just a few short months. Depending on how that goes it could get a little interesting. After that the 2016 Presidential elections are coming up. At this point it's still up in the air as to how that might play out and who the contenders are gonna be and just how ugly it might be for our gun owning future. That is of course there aint anymore shootings that spur another push for gun control resulting in laws like Colorado and New York currently have now!

So...that all being said, are you buying a bit each pay day to sock a way for slimmer days potentially ahead? Do you think you currently already have more than enough to see you through any extended periods of little or no re-supply? Or are you relaxed about things and not overly worried about the future? (wished I knew how to set this up on a poll, that could be pretty interesting, dontcha think?)

I am right where I want to be. I could weather pretty much anything at the moment.
    Denton and Silverback like this.

I have always bought ammo in blocks when I find a sale or when I just have some extra money to spend on it. I have never done the "dollar cost averaging" thing with ammo. That is strange, because dollar cost averaging is how I buy everything else in my life. As an example, I just started buying ammo again about 2 months ago (except for one purchase last fall that I still regret). In the last 2 months I have dropped about $2K on ammo, most recently just shy of $600 at Cabela's last Saturday. But I am not ready to sing all clear until I can walk into a sporting goods store and buy a brick of decent .22LR.

Do I have enough? No. Do I have more than most non-prepper folks? Definitely.
    Denton and ekim like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here is where I am sitting at now...

Guns

I pretty much have all the guns I can really and truly justify. Yeah there are a few more I would like to get but they are more of a novelty or a investment to hedge future prices more than any real or previeved need. So I dont see me picking up more than a gun or two anytime soon.

However, I would like to get a couple of mil-spec AR-15 recievers to lay away. The prices have gotten pretty reasonable of late and when you consider how much they were retailing before shortly after Sandy Hook, having a couple of spares could prove to be quite the investment! Bolt Carrier Groups were also in very short supply as well for the AR-15 and near impossible to find for any price!

I would like to pick up another Mosin Nagant. I would really like to stumble across a Finnish made 91/30 in good to excellent shape for a price I can live with. But Ill admit that if I can catch another awesome sale on decent shooter grade Mosin Nagants like Cabela's ran in March 2013, I wouldnt be beyond buying about 5 more of them! I just dont see a real high likely hood of that idea coming to fruition. But then again I thought I would never buy a Mosin Nagant to begin with as I have always thought they were mediocre at best, crude, rode hard and put away wet. Ironically now I have one and actually while I still find it to be crude its also delightfully tacky at the same time! I mainly got it out of flusteration in finding a bolt action gun that could fire 7.62x39, having the Mosin...if worse comes to worse I can always pull the power on my 7.62x39 ammo and salvage the bullets and powder to reload the 7.62x54R Laupa brass I have if I lose my AK's in case there is one sort or another. You know how it is with that Murphy guy out there always throwing a wrench in your game plan .

The one gun purchase I would seriously like to make is a Mossberg MVP in 300 Blackout! I am holding out that Mossberg will eventually add that chambering to the line up as its been rumored they will. If they dont...might get one in 5.56 anyways and send it to the gun smith for a new barrel. The ACC Handi-Rifle is awful temping as a back up plan though and one thats a lot cheaper. But I really like the idea of a AR mag fed bolt action though!!! I already have the MVP Varmint in 5.56 and its been the most amazing gun I have owned to date and the most accurate gun I own period right out of the box, surpassing the three custom built Remingtons I have in 308, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win MAG not to mention at a fraction of the cost!

Ammunition

I am sitting pretty fat dumb and happy here, but do we ever really have enough ammo? Really do we? First it aint getting any cheaper for commercially loaded ammo, neither are reloading components for that matter! Id still like to pick up a couple of cases of 5.56, 45 ACP and enough 22 rim fire to last me the rest of my life time. I could really use a couple of cases of 7.62x54R while its still somewhat reasonably priced as well. In the mean time I will buy a little something when the retirement check hits the bank account until I reach that point. After that I think I will go into cruise control mode.

Accessories

I have plenty of magazines for the most part. The AWB of 94 was an awakening for me. Areas where I could use a few more are the Taurus PT-99 and the FAL! Neither are my primary weapons these days, so no forest fire burning here. But while in Cabela's today, I couldnt help but notice just how well stocked they were on Magpul Gen III 30 rounders. While I got a tote full of them, at the current 9 bucks a piece they were being sold for, maybe its worth picking up 10 to 20 more at that low of a price! I mean how far wrong can I go with that kind of a deal? I doubt they will get much cheaper than that. Additionally what if there is another Sandy Hook type event and the price on them goes through the roof again? I could make a rather handsome profit on my investment without being overly greedy about it and selling 10 or 20 of them.

Reloading components, I got that covered about as good as I need to. When the ammo started flying off the shelf right after Sandy Hook, I casually moseyed on down to the gun shop avoiding the frantic masses and bought every large rifle, large pistol and small rifle primer they had in stock and all of the 3 powders I use they had in stock and didnt blink an eye. Shortly after the ammo was gone and shelves bare, the next chatter on the forums was "Where have all the reloading components gone"? For months after wards, "Doc" was cursing me something awful every time I came in the gun shop for doing that but understood that he would have done that too if he knew how bad it was going to get this time around, so no hard feelings there. I just smiled and kicked back...life was grand, for me at least! Its true, living well is the best revenge!!!
    Slippy likes this.

I have enough ammo to shoot for a bit but I have been looking to get some more now that prices are decent again. I will be making an ammo purchase soon. As for guns, I don't have enough. I'm still looking to get something in .308 but had been holding back because of prices on ammo and the guns. I'm pretty sure I will be buying a rifle or two in .308 before the end of the year.

I completely know what you are saying about requals, my fiancé switched from 357 to 9mm and requalified. She told me she might need 1000 rounds. The last thing I needed was to stress her, so I made sure we were set. Up until this month, we have both pulled extra hours and not went to the range. I have slowly stopped actively looking for ammo, but if I got an email alert today about 22 lr I would scoop it up. I also need another magazine for a Tuarus 40. Just haven't purchased one or three yet.
    I will shoot some on vacation , you know group therapy
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

And I really wanna build or just buy an Ar, just because dammit
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

3 rifles (.270, 5.56, .22)
    2 handguns (.40 and 9)
    1 shotgun (12ga)

I'm somewhat comfortable with what I have on hand with regards to ammo.
    I don't have the "1000 rounds for each" minimum that some folks have, or the "10,000 minimum" that crazy folks have, but I'm mostly content.
    I should probably get another ammo can and fill it though, couldn't hurt.
    Prices are really starting to come down around here, so I might need to skip a Winco trip next payday and head to the ammo shelves.

I took a week off last year and camped out front of our local Academy Sports to get their new ammo delivery.
    That set me up with 1,500 .22lr rounds and ~400 .40cal.
    If you have one close by, they normally get a few .22lr bricks on every truck, but you've got to be first in line. The trucks arrive M, W, and F mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by deebo View Post
    and i really wanna build or just buy an ar, just because dammit
    do eeet!

Being an FFL I have what "I" need.

Can't believe that people aren't taking advantage of the current market. They will try to ban guns again and one of these times it will stick. All it will take is another school or movie theater shooting. Wait til after November and the libtards don't have to worry about elections. Even if they lose the senate there will be time before the new people get sworn in that they can pass whatever laws/bans they want.

Don't forget spare parts or even an extra gun in the same caliber. Doesn't help to have thousands of rounds and only one gun if it gets damaged, lost or stolen.
    LunaticFringeInc likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links