Military Surplus Bolt action rifles for SHTF?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Military Surplus Bolt action rifles for SHTF? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I have always thought that if you are on a limited budget but want to buy a reliable center fire rifle for survival purposes a ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Military Surplus Bolt action rifles for SHTF?

I have always thought that if you are on a limited budget but want to buy a reliable center fire rifle for survival purposes a good place to look is bolt action military surplus rifles. Periodically it seems that a certain model will flood the market, sell for a fairly cheap price, then later the prices will jump. I bought my M1903-A3 in 30-06 a while back for $75.00, and now prices of $900-$1,000 are fairly common. At the time I was a Sgt E-5 in the Army with a wife and kid and money was tight. My reasoning was that it had a reputation for reliability and accuracy, had a powerful round (30-06), and with stripper clips you could put a fair amount of lead down range. As a bonus it came with a bayonet that looks as long a sword! Maybe not real practical, but it is cool looking..... Over time I have seen various military bolt action rifles primarily from WW1/2 that for a period of time are sold fairly cheaply. Now there is a local gun store with a butt load of Swiss K-11's that aren't very expensive and of course there are Mosin Nagants just about everywhere. I bought a Mosin Nagant and am considering buying another before the price for them starts going through the roof.

I suppose that allot depends on what your opinion of just what kind of you are primarily going to have to deal with. Some seem to think that if will be a daily firefight in full combat mode while others seem to think that they will hardly ever see another person. I guess that it would depend on what your plans are and where you live. For me I think that there may be occasional violent interactions with other people, mostly small groups, but mostly it will be hunting for game. If you have a limited budget I think that the military bolt action rifles is a good answer.

I think you're spot on in your assessment.

If Inor doesn't read this post - I could get him one or two for his birthday.
    KYPrepper likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MrsInor View Post
    If Inor doesn't read this post - I could get him one or two for his birthday.
    Get a Garand instead!
    paraquack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen View Post
    Get a Garand instead!
    Noticed that I used words/phrases like "limited budget" and "inexpensive", which is why I didn't mention a Garand, another battle rifle that years ago you could buy fairly cheaply, but are fairly costly now. An excellent weapon, but not cheap.

other bonus they are "historical" items, and when gun control comes into the picture (arguably) ww2 rifles will always be legal (don't quote me on the stg44) and be easier to keep "registered" compared to a AR15

it happened here, and it's still easier to get "grand dads" old service rife registered than anything else (yes the license paperwork will frustrate the f out of you) but time lines and "reason for owning" is clear, simple and police are more willing to help, compared to a bogan (red neck) walking in and saying I want to own a gun

to the end of my essay, every gun owner should seriously think about owning a piece of history...
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    There perfectly fine as long as you don't get in an up close fight. Sadly most fights end up close and this is a world full of semi and fully automatic weapons. While a person may not get into something all that often and there may be those who live way the hell out of any town that may never see anyone, that doesn't mean everyone else won't or it's even close to what's most common for everyone else. It's smart to evaluate your own situation, where you live in proximity to other people, and just how many aren't that far anyway from you if you plan on staying put. When shit does hit the fan, there will be lots of people desperate. There's already a huge amount of population with little to no morals and will exploit opportunities in the worst way. Now, if you want to deal with them with a bolt action rifle, go right ahead.
    ekim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    Noticed that I used words/phrases like "limited budget" and "inexpensive", which is why I didn't mention a Garand, another battle rifle that years ago you could buy fairly cheaply, but are fairly costly now. An excellent weapon, but not cheap.
    Yes, but are around the same price as M1903-A3 is now, if you go with the reproduction. I just know that the Inor's want a Garand so I'm stoking the fire. Yes Mosins are cheap right now and I have noticed their steady clime in price. Same with the SKS rifle.

Other Cool Firearms
    Notsoyoung likes this.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I think I'd rather have an 870 and a bunch of different shell types than an old 1903 any day if I was on that tight of a budget. And/or a 10/22 with a couple thousand rounds. Toss in a good quality 9mm pistol and you'll be able to handle quite a bit.

Military Surplus Bolt action rifles for SHTF?-870-express-tactical-81198.jpg

I agree that multiple weapons is always great but I think the point of the thread as Notsoyoung pointed out to me is "limited budget" and "inexpensive". Yes a shotgun is affordable but is limited to 100 yards and a good bolt gun can put it out to 600 or 700 yards.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links