44mag Revolvers - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

44mag Revolvers

This is a discussion on 44mag Revolvers within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; [QUOTE=AnotherSOFSurvivor;853170]I reallt appreciate all of the feedback gentlemen, I will pursue the Super Red Hawk when I get paid (I get paid once a month...) ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 44mag Revolvers

[QUOTE=AnotherSOFSurvivor;853170]I reallt appreciate all of the feedback gentlemen, I will pursue the Super Red Hawk when I get paid (I get paid once a month...)

Anyone know if porting is worthwhile for barrel longetivity or is that another stupid gimmick? As I mentioned I know nothing about revolvers

Sent from my SM

Porting has nothing to do with longevity.

Its function is to direct gasses upward to counteract muzzle climb.

The tradeoff is the equivalency of cutting the barrel in regards to MV and energy.

You can roughly measure the final effective tube length by measuring the tube from the cylinder to the beginning of the porting.

To do it right, it has to be done in a EDM machine, which removers the metal electrically not mechanically.

The negatives are, loss of some performance and a blinding muzzle flash at night.

Not important, but quite aggravating, the slots are patch traps.

Myself, I did a S&W Mod. 41 for gallery competition I did many decades ago.

I would never port anything I would use for self defense, you need all the cartridge can give you.

If I thought it was a great idea, I would have put in a Charmilles EDM 3 decades ago.

You don't need porting with a 44mag. Now if your looking at a 500 S&W that's another story.

Thanks Slip and Chipper, I figured it was some BS I know how usual porting works and it sucks at night

I figure if I could tame a 44mag with a 5" that a 9.5" Revolver cant be that bad, I shot an Alaskan 2.5" in 454 and didnt die lol so I should be good to go

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

SOCOM42 is right. The velocity loss is minimal though in most cases and is more effective the higher the pressure of the loads being fired. It has nothing to do with barrel longevity. If I was going to do anything along this line....I would do something like Smith & Wesson has done with the 629 from the Performance Center or the X-Frame series handguns.

I do own a S&W 29-2
    I LOVE the gun and the caliber, but I think that this should not be a necessary gun in a "prepper collection"
    The caliber is surely powerful, but it is hard to be controlled (and therefore to double the shot), the gun is heavy and the cartridge needs a lot of lead and powder to be reloaded.
    There are tons of better choiches if the prepping is the final purpose.

@calcifer this is not about prepping - just never had a revolver and I like the 44mag so I want to get one

oh, in this case I do confirm that a revolver in 44mag can give a HUGE amount of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    I love the 44mag, I have owned 3 different types of Desert Eagles in 44mag but never a revolver, in fact...I have never owned a revolver period and feel I should get one for the range.

My only criteria is it is DA, can handle full house 44s (I loaded 240gr XTPs over 24.2gr H110 for my Deagle) and has a long barrel

I found a Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" for just under 820 shipped + NICS...any reason I shouldnt grab that one?

Thanks yall

It may have a crappy trigger, and that is all that I can think of. Those things are tough guns,and you can load them HOT!
    Just keep an eye on the forcing cone if you do load +P+ . (I have taken the liberty of using the undefined term +P+ in a Magnum. I leave it to your good sense to define that.) It can be eroded, and that will destroy the accuracy, but, that takes a long time to happen.

(I had a SA Super Blackhawk, and it was a tough gun, Ruger is famous for that toughness.)
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 12-07-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    AnotherSOFSurvivor likes this.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I have a super redhawk with a 6" barrel and I love it. its not really the prettiest gun out there...
    You're right. The way that the length of the barrel is thinner than the main body is not as 'Pretty' as the Ruger GP100 357 Mag. However there have been times where I thought the picture was ugly until I held the gun in my hand, never held a Super Redhawk.

I really like my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44MAG rig!

44mag Revolvers-img_20170120_012410.jpg
    jojo64155 and RedLion like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links