I want to reload 9mm. But have some questions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on I want to reload 9mm. But have some questions within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Hi Gang, So I am interested in learning about reloading. Besides having no clue where to start and how to get going, I am also ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I want to reload 9mm. But have some questions

Hi Gang,

So I am interested in learning about reloading. Besides having no clue where to start and how to get going, I am also worried about the safety aspects of it. Working with lead, working with gun powder. I also have 5 young kids at home and curious on dangers from that angle as well. (I currently do not have a workshop area that I can use.) Thanks in advance!

Super safe. just don't go eating your components. Casting your own bullets can be a little dangerous - but not if you have a clean and safe area to do it in and have half a brain.

About the only think you would have to be concerned with if you aren't casting is you don't want to breathe the dust while tumbling brass, but just do it in the garage or other open area and you should be fine.

Depending on how much you want to reload and how many calibers you can look at a single stage or a progressive press, I would suggest working with someone locally who reloads to learn the trade then invest in a progressive press. I went the single stage route and it is just too slow, but now I'm several hundred dollars into it and it is hard for me to 'start over' with a progressive press.

We know a guy that does reloads near us. I will have to see when I can go over and check out the process. Any links to gear I would need or how much it costs to get rolling if I just want to make 9mm to start with? Also, once you get rolling, about how much a round is it for say 9mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Buy a reloading manual (doesn't matter which) and read it.
    They are full of safety precautions and instructions.
    Reloading is not difficult.
    Buying the basic setup and components will be spendy., do some research.

PM me if I can help with info.

Find someone that does it hang out with them a while . I have been doing my home work on the subject and the more I learn the more I find my first impression where wrong.
    TMCertified and 71Chevrolet like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The one single thing you MUST know and accept about reloading: it is a one track process. What I mean by that is that if you want to be a SAFE, . . . effective, . . . and quality type reloader, . . . then reloading must be the ONE and ONLY thing going on in your head at that time.

Trying to keep a kitten off the reloading bench, . . . play with a puppy, . . . or babysit 1, 2, or more kids, . . . nahhhhhhh, . . . don't even think of it. There are too many things that can go south in the reloading process.

That said, . . . reloading is a fun experience, . . . it can be financially rewarding to a certain degree, . . . and it is a challenge to everyone's ability.

I for one will not, . . . WILL NOT, . . . sit down and begin reloading on a whim. I have to be in the right frame of mind, . . . ready to give it my 100% undivided attention. If I find myself drifting off, . . . I quit for the day.

The rewards come in a job well done, . . . and some of the best ammo you could ever buy. For me it is enough of a reward.

But again as previously mentioned, . . . get a mentor to get you started right.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    TMCertified likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Start by downloading and reading these, they're free.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/p...oReloading.pdf

Instructions - Lee Precision

Reloading ? A Beginner?s Guide ? Part 1 | The Shooter's Log

Reloading, A Beginner?s Guide Part II | The Shooter's Log

RCBS - Precisioneered Shooting Products - Step-By-Step Reloading
    This one I copied piece-by-piece and pasted into a WORD file and saved it.

There are probably plenty of youtube videos available on the subject also.
    Go to local gun stores, they should know how to contact shooting competition clubs, maybe even a reloading club. At least one gun store/shooting range here in my town holds reloading classes, of course it's for a price but you'll get to eyeball the equipment live and probably handle it too.
    Last edited by Boss Dog; 09-22-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add information
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

There is a learning curve to reloading, that is best approached with help from a "competent" reloader. Gun shops that rely on reloading supplies and components for a large portion of their sales will often have reloading classes one can attend. It's something you might look into.

All of the previous advice given has been solid, I would recommend picking up a couple of manuals and reading before investing in anything else. "The ABC's of Reloading" is supposed to be a great read for the novice reloader and I can recommend both the Speer and Lyman manuals for their sections of the process of reloading. I would also second the recommendation of finding a veteran reloader to mentor you but you need to find someone that you deem to be safe and the only way you can do that is to have some knowledge of the process so read first. I don't usually recommend the youtube idea simply because you have no idea of the youtuber's track record or how long they've been loading but if you keep those things in mind you can get an idea of the steps anyway. As for equipment there are some great kits on the market that will allow you to pick up all the equipment you need all in one shot.

-Infidel
    Piratesailor likes this.

Good question and great answers. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links