Critique my arsenal please!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Critique my arsenal please! within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Hi everybody. I'm Max and from Missouri where gun culture is alive and strong! I'm working on finishing my arsenal soon as I start work ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Critique my arsenal please!

Hi everybody. I'm Max and from Missouri where gun culture is alive and strong!

I'm working on finishing my arsenal soon as I start work on some food gathering and alternative energy sources (or a gennie.) but first I need advice on my favorite topic: guns!

So far I have:

Glock 23:

This is my EDC and primary sidearm, I'd say. It's in .40 S&W but I have a barrel kit so it can fire 9mm as well. I have it loaded with Remington Golden Saber or Hornady Critical Defense rounds and I have 4 13-round magazines. I'd say I have between 850-950 rounds of .40 stored for it, mostly a split between the two ammo types above with 100 rounds of good ol' FMJ. I've put somewhere near 2200 rounds through this thing and have never had a jam. I love this pistol! My 9mm stockpile is 250 or so rounds, mostly Speer Gold Dot.

Ruger GP-100:

Six-shot .357 Magnum, 3" barrel and blued steel. I've put around 500 rounds through it (it's new) and it's my primary defensive handgun if for some reason I don't have my Glock. (I live alone in a house with very thick walls, so over-penetration isn't as big of a problem for me.) Hornady Critical Defense rounds and a bit of FMJ, maybe 500 rounds total. This thing will knock somebody down, I imagine. I've also got 3 speed loaders.

Primary rifle:

Mossberg AR-15. I have a holographic sight with backup "flip-down" iron sights, a better trigger job and five 30-round magazines. The free-floating barrel makes this gun incredibly accurate. I've probably shot 1000 rounds with it with few issues and I would say I have between 1950-2050 rounds for it in my garage. (Packed up and ready to GTFO.)

Shotgun:

Mossberg 500, black, 3" barrel, adjustable stock, pistol grip, pump-action with an 8 round capacity and a 19" barrel. I have it loaded with Hornady TAP 12 gauge, first #4 then four 00 buck and three slugs. I honestly have shot this gun in a financially irresponsible manner, maybe 1100 shells. I think I have around 250 spare shells of various types.

So what do you all think? What should I add or change? Should I stockpile more ammo of one or more types? Are these guns practical and effect for a SHTF scenario in which I'd have to defend my home? (I have the resources and location for fortify it pretty heavily and I live next to a fair-sized forest, so it's sort of isolated.)

Thanks!

My belief is you only could add 3 things in my opine:

1) a bolt 300 WM with glass on the low end can be $700-1000 but you could spend a lot more. This would help you at a much greater distance and with stopping power which both can be important.

2) a 22 LR package including a pistol and rifle. I believe in the 10-22 but you might prefer a tube fed to avoid the magazines. For a hand gun you could go revolver to avoid magazines but if you prefer not I recommend a Rock Island Armory 1911 45 with a 22 conv kit from Kimber. With mags and ammo that can run $1k but you add a caliber.

Nice set up so far. I agree with Ripon though. You should add a 22lr. Great for training and small game hunting. I have a 10/22 TD and an SR22 along with a variety of others but these are my BO guns. I'm looking to add a Ruger Single Six that has two cylinders. One for 22lr and one for 22wmr. My TD is convenient, but I also think my Henry 22 Lever would outlast anything semi-auto. Others may disagree but in long term SHTF, a tube fed lever or bolt may be your best bet. Once I get my Single Six, I'll have two rigs. One with the Ruger TD and SR22, the other with my Henry Lever and the revolver.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I forgot to add, if you don't want what Ripon suggested, you can get a Mosin Nagant for around $200 and plenty of ammo. My local Dunhams has several Mosins in stock all the time. Price is $199. They are a proven rifle and can take a lot of abuse. They kick hard but are fun to shoot.

Mod Squad

Add me to the "you need a .22" camp. While yer at it, also add me to the, "you should also have a long range/hunting rifle" group.

As much as you seem to shoot, some spare parts might be worth having too. Springs, firing pins, and whatever else might break on you would be good to keep on hand.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Banned

Your arsenal is useless. To save any further embarrassment, I'll let you store it my safe. :D

Seriously, I really dig the fact that you have a wheel gun. I used to have a GP 100, great gun. As everyone else said, go get a .22; I have a Marlin 795, after owning a half dozen 10-22's, and I like it better. And they can be had on the cheap. I paid $150 out the door, with illuminated scope for mine, used but in like new condition.

Also agree with Trainershawn; A Mosin is a very viable way to go, way less expensive, ammo just about everywhere you look and tough as nails. I cut my barrel down to 16.5", re-crowned it using nothing more than a hacksaw, a file, a drill bit to start the crown, a brass screw, some emery cloth and steel wool to finish it. Super easy. Trimmed the stock, though eventually I may go with with synthetic, but I like the "Smash Factor" of that heavy wooden stock (but not the weight). Painted everything with a textured paint, knocked off the rear sight, mounted a Scout Scope (Long Eye Relief), a flashlight and finished off by fitting an AK47 Bayonet I had laying around. It took about 5 minutes to fit. If I had cut the barrel at 17", probably would have went right on. Then I epoxied it in place. I have 1000 rounds on hand and purchased 880 rounds during the middle of the recent "hype" for $235 shipped. 2 sealed tins, the can opener and the heavy factory wooden crate they originally came in. The ammo is still out there, but there are guys trying to get over $500 for 440, with guys selling it for the mid $200's for 880. You do the math. Cheaper Than Sleaze is one of high dollar ones.

It shoots a ragged hole at 25 yards, and with surplus ammo, shoots roughly a 2" group at 100, about an inch with good stuff. I can hit the steel plate at 200 yards at our range with surplus. And the fireball with the surplus ammo is not only impressive, but will keep you warm. And it's loud. I mean really loud. Shakes dust off the rafters and the range officers wont stand under the cover when I shoot it. So personally, save your money on the safe queen and use it to buy something you won't be afraid to get dirty!

Critique my arsenal please!-100_1916.jpgCritique my arsenal please!-100_1919.jpg
    Leon likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

22LR will put game in the pot. You also need a long range scoped rifle.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

Remington SPS Tactical in 308 with a nice 3-9X50 scope for long range problems.

Thanks a lot so far!

It sounds like I need to get a .22 LR! I think I can afford to invest in that!

Here's a follow up question:

Lets say my budget is $1250. What is the best setup for my money for a long-range rifle that will be the best bet in a SHTF situation?

PS: not sure who mentioned it, but I already am a hoarder of spare parts...although I need to learn how to use them a bit more efficiently.

Another vote for the .22lr Ruger 10/22 is the standard others are judged by. The 3" barrel on that mossy must be hoot!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links