.22lr
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

.22lr

This is a discussion on .22lr within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Since .22LR ammo is so difficult to get and will likely continue what next. There are limited supplies on shelves now with limits on how ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: .22lr

.22lr

Since .22LR ammo is so difficult to get and will likely continue what next. There are limited supplies on shelves now with limits on how much you can purchase.

Although we all know the school tragedy caused an across the board guns and ammo shortage. I expect .22LR ammo to continue to be difficult to stock up on and volume purchase limits to continue.

The ongoing root cause, if I am correct about future short supplies, is the use of .22LR on an AR or other assault weapon platform. These guns are used for cheap "sprat and pray" fun. WHICH YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DO AND I SUPPORT THAT RUGHT! But I expect this to keep the .22LR ammo supply chain challenged.

My question is this. Is it time for those of us that want a gun for small game and serious target teaching to pick another caliber? A caliber that will remain cheap and will give the youngest students a first time positive experience.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I can find limited 22lr. maybe not at the price but it's there. I think anything over 10cents a round is simply too much for 22lr. Next option, have you considered an air rifle? Today's air rifle are not the red riders of our youth (even though you can still get those) something you may want to check into, if you haven't, they are some hard shooting hard hitting weapons, they come in .177, 22, and 25 and if you really want to get crazy and dig deep into your pockets that is a .357 (but that one sorta defeats your purpose,IMO) If you haven't already check them out. If you want to learn about the different kinds, Airgun and Airsoft Videos - PyramydAir.com if the link don't work, goggle air rifle academy they'll tell you everything you want to know about air rifles.

roy

High powered air guns are a good option. The .22lr is coming back. I recently purchased 1,600 rounds for $100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshinedave View Post
    I can find limited 22lr. maybe not at the price but it's there. I think anything over 10cents a round is simply too much for 22lr. Next option, have you considered an air rifle? Today's air rifle are not the red riders of our youth (even though you can still get those) something you may want to check into, if you haven't, they are some hard shooting hard hitting weapons, they come in .177, 22, and 25 and if you really want to get crazy and dig deep into your pockets that is a .357 (but that one sorta defeats your purpose,IMO) If you haven't already check them out. If you want to learn about the different kinds, Airgun and Airsoft Videos - PyramydAir.com if the link don't work, goggle air rifle academy they'll tell you everything you want to know about air rifles.
    Thanks I am completely inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    High powered air guns are a good option. The .22lr is coming back. I recently purchased 1,600 rounds for $100.
    Good, around here one box of fifty rounds are the limit still and the price is still high.

I have seen reported that Companies such as Remington and others are building new factories to produce 22lr once enough volume hits the market the flippers will be stuck with their product. I have seen one already drop his asking price from $65 per 500 to $55 per 500. Didn't get me to buy I still try for Wally World occasionally get some and shoot less to conserve.

Everything that spiked in price will recover, but I suspect it will recover to a point above where it was. I use to buy 2100 rnds from Cabellas with free ammo "can" for $79.99. I usually did it with a free shipping coupon for orders over $150 and just buy a couple or something else from them. I suspect that won't happen again but maybe $99 in the near future.

It's not a concern for me. I've stocked up so much 22lr it'd scare an anti gun nut as to my "stockpile" and why not? It was so cheap. I use to go thru 2k rounds a year. I'm doing half that now.
    Tundra Dweller and watcher like this.

Since I have a 223 bolt action and a gazillion empty cases, plenty of primers and powder, I have been shooting down loaded 223 rounds using 55 gr bullets that are giving about 1200-1300 fps to hunt small game. Once 22 LR ammo comes back on line at a reasonable price I will be buying several cases minimum. Im tired of playing this game and I want enough on hand that I will never need to buy it again the rest of my life. I am also tired of the three box limit at wally world and the fact that I have to loose sleep to go in and buy it since I work nights and they only sell it in the day time here now. Of course I have to loose even more sleep to get it at Bass Pro or Cabelas not to mention the hour long drive also required.

I am also using my compound bow a lot more these days!
    Ripon and watcher like this.

Look for free shipping - no drive. We have a Bass Pro close buy but they often install - instore limits. They do some online too. But if things return to any sense of normality you'll see free shipping offers. I just ordered 200 rounds of 308 with a free shipping coupon and got it for about .60 a round.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticFringeInc View Post
    Since I have a 223 bolt action and a gazillion empty cases, plenty of primers and powder, I have been shooting down loaded 223 rounds using 55 gr bullets that are giving about 1200-1300 fps to hunt small game. Once 22 LR ammo comes back on line at a reasonable price I will be buying several cases minimum. Im tired of playing this game and I want enough on hand that I will never need to buy it again the rest of my life. I am also tired of the three box limit at wally world and the fact that I have to loose sleep to go in and buy it since I work nights and they only sell it in the day time here now. Of course I have to loose even more sleep to get it at Bass Pro or Cabelas not to mention the hour long drive also required.

I am also using my compound bow a lot more these days!

I think the main reason that .22LR remains in short supply is that the ammo companies are fully tooled up and running their lines on the larger caliburs to meet demand. The .22 offers a lower margin and is not as profitable to produce since the labor cost to produce a round of .22 is the same as it is to produce .308, 9mm, .223 etc which has a higher profit margin.

When normalcy returns to the demand for the larger popular caliburs we will see assets freed up to produce more .22.
    Ripon likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links