What to learn and plan from the ammo shortage
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What to learn and plan from the ammo shortage within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Go around town while there is a shortage on ammo and see what others around you are stockpiling and do the same. You can also ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What to learn and plan from the ammo shortage

Go around town while there is a shortage on ammo and see what others around you are stockpiling and do the same. You can also sell some of your extra ammo while people are lining up fighting to buy it, then re invest the money into other preps

Last edited by thomasdangerpowers; 03-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.

You can find ammo online - just need to do a little research. I put in about 5-10 mins online every other day and have plenty stocked up. Right now, I sell any extra ammo I pick up.

22lr ammo is in the 30 cent per round range right now. That is $150 for a brick of 500. I have 10-12 bricks I picked up for $25 each. I have sold my extra bricks for $75-$85 in the past few weeks. That money goes right back into my prepping.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdangerpowers View Post
    Go around town while there is a shortage on ammo and see what others around you are stockpiling and do the same

I also buy much of mine online.

As for the above, I am thinking of taking a different approach. 30-30, 30-06, and 300 WIN is pretty easy to find at most stores in my area. I'm thinking of getting something one one of those calibers, so I won't have to 'fight' so much for ammo stock. The standard 9mm, 22lr, 223, and 308 sells like hotcakes, even online. Sometimes I can't even finish checking out and it's already sold out from underneath me (especially when it's a good price.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I thought I was gouging at $35 for 525

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalGardens View Post
    I also buy much of mine online.

As for the above, I am thinking of taking a different approach. 30-30, 30-06, and 300 WIN is pretty easy to find at most stores in my area. I'm thinking of getting something one one of those calibers, so I won't have to 'fight' so much for ammo stock. The standard 9mm, 22lr, 223, and 308 sells like hotcakes, even online. Sometimes I can't even finish checking out and it's already sold out from underneath me (especially when it's a good price.)
    When I recently bought a Ruger American, I went with the intent of getting a .308. Ammo availability 1st, then power 2nd helped me make my choice. 30.06 is not cheap but it is available and I am picking it up a few boxes at a time. Several places like luckygunner sell it in 200 round packages also.

yeah I look online but I can't find the type of 9mm and 5.56 online I want to stock up on for myself. I have bought and sold ammo I find in shops because I get there early and go often, plus save on shipping cost. I have made some "serious coin" selling ammo and buying silver while precious metals are down

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    When I recently bought a Ruger American, I went with the intent of getting a .308. Ammo availability 1st, then power 2nd helped me make my choice. 30.06 is not cheap but it is available and I am picking it up a few boxes at a time. Several places like luckygunner sell it in 200 round packages also.
    Sounds like what I will be planning... if I can't get 308 easily it may be time to go with a 30.06 that is reliable yet not overly expensive. How is the Ruger?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalGardens View Post
    Sounds like what I will be planning... if I can't get 308 easily it may be time to go with a 30.06 that is reliable yet not overly expensive. How is the Ruger?
    I have been too busy to take it to the range yet. Hopefully I can go there in the next week or two.

The other reason I choose 30.06 is it too is a popular round. It's just not a popular as .308.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I have been too busy to take it to the range yet. Hopefully I can go there in the next week or two.

The other reason I choose 30.06 is it too is a popular round. It's just not a popular as .308.
    Thanks- I'll be keeping an ear out for any experiences and an eye out for a good deal. Not in a super fast hurry to purchase in this market!

The only thing I've seen really out of line is 223. Yes 22LR, 308 and 9mm are a little higher but not like 223. That stuff went from 300/325 per 1000 to 650/750.

I guess diversity is a good thing. 45 ACP has not moved much; and while I abandoned the caliber a few years back I've decided I might pursue it again. Low end
    1911's are under $500 (GI Models) or just over $500 with some features (Rock Island Armory) and relatively available compared to some other things. I'll probably
    get one in the next few months and stock up on at least 300/400 rounds of 45 ACP.

The one thing I don't want to get caught short of next time is primers. I had about 1000 and have reloaded 600 since this all began but they've doubled in price
    too. When things return to normal I'll stock on at least 10k of those little buggers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links