Ideas for cheap practice ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ideas for cheap practice ? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; My .45-70 rounds cost about two dollars a bullet. Im told thats the cheapest ones in my area. Most of my ammunition is pretty over ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ideas for cheap practice ?

My .45-70 rounds cost about two dollars a bullet. Im told thats the cheapest ones in my area.
    Most of my ammunition is pretty over priced to the point I dont get a whole lot of practice these days.
    I can reload but the cost of componants is almost as bad these days.

Ive been trying to come up with less costly options that will allow me to target practice with some accuracy and do basic skills like sighting the rifle.

Ive been considering things like wax bullets, or minimum powder charges with light bullets. Idk... Brain storming here.
    Any other ideas ?

I could rig up a bullet trap but thats has pros and cons as well.
    Slippy likes this.

If your intent is to use this gun as a means of defense, my recommendation is simple. Don't.
    Anything you can't afford to practice with, you won't be any good with. You'll only arm your attacker.
    Realistically, you'd need thousands of rounds of practice to be considered proficient, and by that time, you've paid for a new weapon a few times over.
    Look for a battle rifle with a standard caliber. The cost reduction will be drastic.

However, if you're just wanting to blast holes in things, you just might have to suck it up and pay the price. Entertainment ain't cheap.
    Slippy, A Watchman, Denton and 1 others like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

The Good Cop

That's a pretty good price. I haven't bought any 45-70 in a couple years, the last was some Black Hills 405 grain lead flat point at $42 per 20 round box. I've seen it go for $48/box.
    Blackcat likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Many people practice with .22 LR. Also 9mm carbines would be pretty cheap to run.
    Blackcat and Ripon like this.

Your reloading your own, right??

45/70 will take down the Brown Bear variations common to C*N*D*, eh?
    Last edited by AquaHull; 10-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    Blackcat likes this.

There's the old saying in sports, "Practice like you play. If you practice sloppy, you'll play sloppy, if you practice sharp, you'll play sharp". And that's just for a damn game.

We're talking a potentially deadly weapon here. If you don't practice with it, you don't deserve to have it in your hands in my opinion. Focus, be sharp and suck it up. You got to pay the price. Its that damn simple.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around. Its a firearm son, respect it and respect yourself by dedicating time to practice.

(Please read that above in Slippy's serious ass Dad voice, not his other voice, thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    There's the old saying in sports, "Practice like you play. If you practice sloppy, you'll play sloppy, if you practice sharp, you'll play sharp". And that's just for a damn game.

We're talking a potentially deadly weapon here. If you don't practice with it, you don't deserve to have it in your hands in my opinion. Focus, be sharp and suck it up. You got to pay the price. Its that damn simple.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around. Its a firearm son, respect it and respect yourself by dedicating time to practice.

(Please read that above in Slippy's serious ass Dad voice, not his other voice, thanks)

Other voice?? You mean the high pitched one that has 'Coming Dear" down pat? Yea, I got that one to sometimes.
    Slippy, Blackcat and Denton like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

45/70 take down a bear ? It should take down anything on earth... Im in the shot placement crowd. Becides that 45/70 is a pretty potent caliber.
    Reload my own yes... Still pricey lol.

Ive had a fair share of practice, I just want to get back to it. If theres a way to do that and not end up living on the street eating out of garbage cans... That would be good too. As it is now im already just about that poor :p
    Slippy likes this.

My first LE job granted us a box of 9mm a month for practice plus two more a year for qualifying. I hoarded it and bought cheaper rounds. Also bought several 22s and shot them regularly always following or ending the session with some 9mm. I left the PD with 1500 rounds of silver tip hollow point ...still have some.
    Blackcat likes this.
    This place has become more disturbing then SHTF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links