Best place to keep extra rounds for a quick reload ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Best place to keep extra rounds for a quick reload ? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Im thinking about my lever action in this case but it probably applies to others like shotguns and such. For a follow up reload you ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Best place to keep extra rounds for a quick reload ?

Im thinking about my lever action in this case but it probably applies to others like shotguns and such.

For a follow up reload you want the quickest route to go from A - B
    A > being where your spares are kept. removing them, the motion to the loading gate, into the gun and B cycled and ready to fire.

Considering the options...

Side belt ammo pouch:
    Pros - Rounds are out of the way and protected from the elements.
    Cons - Probably the slowest place to get from A - B especially if they are covered under a coat or parka.

Side saddle or buttstock ammo holder:
    Pros - Quicker reload, easy access.
    Cons - Exposed to the elements, rounds could get dropped from open loops, seems like a bit of a juggling act to flip the gun remove the rounds flip to thenother side and load...

Chest or sling mounted:
    Seems about the same as the buttstock mount.
    Sling could be a bit more awkward depending on how your holding it.
    The chest mount is pretty exposed and probably requires a special vest or rig.

ATM my money is probably on a good side belt pouch even at the cost of a slow reload time.

Anybody have other thoughts about this ?

Right now I keep a buttstock holder on my 12 guage, often with a mix of 00 buck and a slug or two. I think ideally a side belt ammo pouch in addition to that would work.
    A Watchman likes this.

This is why detachable mags were invented.

While I appreciate the "run what you brung" attitude, you're using a hand saw to pound in a nail. It will get the job done, but the work will be shoddy, the saw will be torn up and in this case, you'll be dead.

Glock or M&P with at least 2 extra mags on your belt on your weak side.

AR with a Chest rig and several extra mags

Outside of that, you get into specialized gear that makes slow guns fast like speed loaders or stripper clips or feed ramps.

If you're just trying to have fun and do something cool go for it... but if you're trying to defend yourself against multiple attackers, you should either have multiple lever actions or an AR with several mags (and a backup AR)
    Blackcat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

On my 870, I've got a side saddle mounted to the receiver and an aftermarket collapsible buttstock with another 5 or 6 shell holder.
    Each holder has shells loaded in an appropriate orientation to allow easy withdrawal, yet still keep the gun shouldered and ready.
    The sidesaddle has rounds "butt down" to reach under the receiver, and the buttstock has them "butt up" to reach over.
    The sling point and lever on the buttstock would interfere with an underside reach.

I also have a bandoleer, but that's just for moving more ammunition. Not really for reloading on the go.
    Blackcat likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Its true if you want to be as fast as possible get a gun built for a quick reload.
    I should have been more specific, my bad.
    Im talking about getting the most out of slow loading firearms.

I have been considering the side saddle or buttstock kauboy. For the most part they work well.
    The biggest drawback im weighing it against is dropping rounds.
    It may not be the same for everyone but every "open" style holder ive used where the rounds are friction fit. When im going through the thick brush they tend fall out.

A bandoleer seems like a good way to move the extra ammo though.

I just use a bandoleer, chest type. Grab the gun and throw the extra ammo hanging on the wall next to the rifle over my head and go.

Have them for the 44mag, 308 and 300 win mag. Quickest and easiest way to haul an extra 50 rounds in a hurry.
    Last edited by Chipper; 10-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.

I have a 6 mag bandoleer for my 30 rd USGI AR mags

For a lever I'm fond of the allen buttstock elastic socks

Brace yourself, I often wear a four pocket smock, like a BDU jacket, and it holds ten or so rounds per pocket, and i dont feel that its to slow, reaching in and grabbing two at a time, and reloading while keeping more or less on target. Now, the reason I do it this way is because, many of my outfits, from my scrubs to my bike jersey, have a similar pocket set up. So its less to keep up with.

The best place to keep extra rounds for a quick reload is in a second gun.
    AquaHull, Slippy, 6811 and 1 others like this.
    "To survive you must be able to adapt to change."
    SoCal92057

Rollypolys are great for shotgun shells and those big ole rounds of yours should work in similar fashion.

Dump Pouches - MAXPEDITION

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links