The perfect SHTF gun - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The perfect SHTF gun

This is a discussion on The perfect SHTF gun within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; But wouldn't it be something if someone invented a laser or directed energy weapon you could carry? I mean gun powder has been the go ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: The perfect SHTF gun

But wouldn't it be something if someone invented a laser or directed energy weapon you could carry? I mean gun powder has been the go to weapon for 1,000 years.

I would be OK with an SKS or a riot gun, I am easy to please.

No longer here.

A Juxtapose insight, the perfect SHTF gun is the one that You didn't need to use to effect your (and the ones you love) extraction from the SHTF Scenario. JMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I am good with the guns I currently have. But another dillion rl550b would be nice. And I need another single stage press also. That way I can always have the rounds ready no matter what.
    Second ammendment rights are what makes this country great.

I'll take the OP's question at face value, one gun. That's it. I don't think it's possible or a good idea, but yayyyy me, I have my answer to this commonly asked prep forum question.

Like others have said, It depends on you and your situation. Here's meeeee.

I rarely hunt anymore. Don't know how that happened, kid and job probably, and liking watching football and drinking beer on my day or so off more than beating the bush freezing my ass off. I also think that if your, and my, survival plan requires hunting and fishing in any part of it to stay alive, I, and you, are going to starve to death.
    Don't get me wrong, if you and I can find time to hunt between digging/planting taters and cutting wood and feeding things, awesome. It should not be a priority. If it is, we made a big mistake.

In my AO, burbs, there isn't a 50 yard shot anywhere. Really. So "Reaching out and touching someone" is a fantasy. A long gun is nice, but not absolutely required. Same with a shotgun. Besides that, humping a weapon while you are trying to actually live is a challenge, especially if you don't have a squad covering your ass with a 60 while you dig holes. And, really, seriously, honestly, pinkie swear, You got one try at that 350-600 yard target, you really think your going to hit it straight up cold first shot, or are you just giving away your position? I don't have to be a genius to figure out that most folk saying this stuff don't have the time in training/practice, or the money, to honestly say yes. Return fire on a sniper? If he's smart he moved when he missed. If he's good, your problems are over. If it's the former, go out tonight and tag his ass. Besides, the "panties in a bunch crowd" might get their panties in a bunch if you're overtly carrying something evil and black. The situation is easily diffused if it doesn't happen.

Getting to the point slowly. Any encounter I have in or near my pad is going to be within 20 yards. I need a weapon that can be used effectively within that space and inside my house if need be.
    Here it comes, drum roll please..... I am using a Gen 2 G22.

I am bugging in in my house. If I feel the situation is permanent/untenable, I'll go to the family farm/s. If I was told to leave right now, one gun only, that's what is coming with me. Not good, but better than most.

Remember, this was a one gun thing.

I am an AR-Glock-Deer Rifle-Shotgun-.22, guy in reality. AR and Glocks have backups also.

I am also surprised no one ever mentions TC Contender pistols or Savage M24's. I love those.

If I were to single a gun out, it would more than likely be a cache gun. One that gets treated for long term storage and stashed away. It would be like the last Mohican, when all the other guns are gone as in taken, stolen or lost, there would still be one left. Given those circumstances it may be the perfect gun.

If you were to cache one gun, possibly never to be touched or see again. What would that gun be? I lean towards a break open single shot of some type. They are inexpensive and robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    If I were to single a gun out, it would more than likely be a cache gun. One that gets treated for long term storage and stashed away. It would be like the last Mohican, when all the other guns are gone as in taken, stolen or lost, there would still be one left. Given those circumstances it may be the perfect gun.

If you were to cache one gun, possibly never to be touched or see again. What would that gun be? I lean towards a break open single shot of some type. They are inexpensive and robust.
    One of my Russian SKS's, I consider them expendable, new unfired, Alamo guns.
    Would go in a PVC tube with all the extra space filled with ammo, strippers, oil and web carrier.
    This would not be my first choice for a SHTF gun, just as a cache piece as you stated.
    I consider them a tier level three piece, tier four would be the bolt guns such as the 30a3 Springfield's, no 4 Enfield's and 98 Mauser's.
    Level fours are for rear echelon people such as women doing domestics,
    to give them something to defend themselves with, not for a front line fight if it came to that.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-05-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post

Seriously... a single shot, I would have peged you to be better prepped. Now your talking SHTF, you are the line of defense to save your loved ones and your own bacon, God forbid. I think it may by wise to rethink your options incase the unthinkable were to transpire. I just can't see having anything but a semi-auto with standard capacity mags, 30 rounders, in the very popular AR platform. Now not because that would be my choice, because it's not, but for parts commonality, access to ammo and ability for the task at hand, this weapon could serve you well and the price has NEVER been lower. In 82 a AR-15 would cost you 1200.00 give or take, and today you can pick one up @ under 600. No disrespect meant in anyway, I would just hate to think of you loading a single shot and and 5 Zombies bearing down on you and yours. Give yourself the best odds that you can. In the end if you are still confident in your choice by all means exercise it, this is still America !

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links