Question on 9mm practice ammo
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Question on 9mm practice ammo within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Does anyone know how good this ‘HawkSight’ 9mm ammo is? Bought some yesterday after ‘The Speech’. It’s reloaded, tumbled brass by Ballistics Performance Mfg Co ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Question on 9mm practice ammo

Does anyone know how good this ‘HawkSight’ 9mm ammo is? Bought some yesterday after ‘The Speech’. It’s reloaded, tumbled brass by Ballistics Performance Mfg Co out of Miami, Florida. It was 29 cents/round vs. American Eagle 22 cents/round for 50 round boxes. They didn’t have any American Eagle, or anything else for that matter, at the LGS.

Question on 9mm practice ammo-img_2206.jpg

I can’t try it until the range dries out; a week of rain here has created an epic mud hole.

Is this a rebirth of american ammuntion?
    They went down the pipe for crap ammo.
    Bought a 100k 9mm and 45acp, from them for the dept, 50% of rounds fired had the jackets peel off in flight!!!
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Is this a rebirth of american ammuntion?
    They went down the pipe for crap ammo.
    Bought a 100k 9mm and 45acp, from them for the dept, 50% of rounds fired had the jackets peel off in flight!!!
    Wow!

Thanks for the "heads up".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Lesson: Do you really want to bet your life on someone else's reloads just to save a buck? I believe that getting the best ammo I can for carry and save a buck with cheaper stuff for practice. Failures to feed, eject or fire on the practice range can be a spontaneous opportunity to practice clearance drills. If it happens with the good ammo God forbid, you will automatically and efficiently fix the problem and get back in the fight.
    Last edited by Camel923; 06-19-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Prepared One and redhawk like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    Wow!

Thanks for the "heads up".
    Don't get me wrong, I do not know if it is the same. The location is.
    American is junk, you can spot the packaging real easy, box is completely covered with a photo of loose ammo up close.
    They would not return my calls when we had the trouble, this could be a sort of rebrand.
    American did not do reloads, however most of the machinery can be used for reloading, easy changeover.
    Also had a lot of squib rounds with their junk.
    We only bought it for training purposes, winni and rem for duty.
    Denton likes this.

I shoot so much, that I buy reloads for the most part for the range. I've been real lucky with the 40 S&W from LAX. The last time I bought it I paid 23 cents a round, but if you wait for sales or shipping deals it's cheaper. After well over 10,000 rounds, I can't remember more than once or twice that I got one with a bad primer that didn't go BANG. Their reloaded stuff is some of the most accurate I've ever shot too, regardless of cost. It's fairly clean shooting, and to look at the ammo, you'd probably never guess they were reloads.

When My life is on the line with my carry weapon, I don't spare any expense and usually go with Hornady Critical Duty or Federal HST. I'd like to try Speer Gold Dots, but they're hard to come by around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Is this a rebirth of american ammunition? They went down the pipe for crap ammo.
    No. This company has been around since 2008, they got their start under the name Stone Hart Manufacturing Co.

I bought only 200 rounds, not much lost if it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    No. This company has been around since 2008, they got their start under the name Stone Hart Manufacturing Co.

Please report back how it shoots.

I've had some good results with some reloads, and bad with others.
    sideKahr likes this.

Banned

I "mine' the dirt berms for lead, cast my own bullets and reload. The metal detector tells me where to dig. Often, if there's steel plates being used, there's many lbs of fragmented lead lying about, to be raked up and smelted out of the dirt. My cost per shot is about 6x, and my time is about 150 rds per hour, including the lead recovery, smelting, casting, reloading. Saving 20c per shot, that's $30 an hour, which swiftly paid for the $1000 worth of gear needed to do it all.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post

The time frame would be right for a transition.

I did not mean to let anyone think I was referring to recent events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links