Winchester model 94 30-30 win lever action
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Winchester model 94 30-30 win lever action within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Just got back from viewing my FIL's Winchester Model 1894 30-30 win Lever Action I'm thinking of buying it and would like you guys to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Winchester model 94 30-30 win lever action

Banned

Just got back from viewing my FIL's Winchester Model 1894 30-30 win Lever Action

I'm thinking of buying it and would like you guys to offer opinions good and bad.

Not sure of the age but a quick spin through wikipedia tells me that it is pre-1982 because it does not have the angled ejection port implimented in 1982, additionally, it does not have the safety from 1992 models.

It has a top ejecting port, the stock is free of any damage, and the rifle has been shot less than 10 times since the mid 70s. Probably has not been serviced since the mid 70s as well.

I'm wondering what the approximate value of this might be? I'm hoping to get it for $150 but i figure he might ask 350 or more.

Truthfully this is a buy and store rifle. I don't plan on hunting big game, and may not ever shoot it. but the prepper inside of me tells me that i should buy a .30 cal rifle of some sort. if i don't buy this one, i might buy a .303 british lee enfield bolt action, or maybe even a single shot .303. I think it will compliment the ruger 10/22 and browning 12gauge autoloader that i have my sights on

any thoughts?

Pre 64 are the ones with highest value. I think 1972 they went to building them over seas. Serial number check will tell you when it was made and make finding a real world value easy
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I would say get it. it is a good rifle and will serve you and you offspring well.
    oops

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have 2 mod 94's, both built in 1951 and in 30/30.
    All parts are machined.
    After 64 the quality went way down.
    I, personally would not own a newer one based on the work I have done repairing them.
    They, today consist of stampings and invest castings, no forged and machined parts where they could eliminate them.
    I would opt for a Marlin 1894 instead, better made, more reliable and you can add a scope to the pre-drilled holes on top.
    Keep away from the cross bolt safety Marlins, they are crap but not as bad as the late Winchesters.
    Whatever you get, make it in 30/30 not 32 win special, the ammo is harder to find.
    Brit Enfield's are fine for your purpose and a better gun for it, but the price of ammo is out of sight for them.

To add the parts are not interchangeable across the years either.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.

BUY THIS!
    It was the Black Rifle / AR-15 of 1873. It has the most robust action and fires a round that the Russians mimicked (ballistically) when they developed the shorter 7.62 round for the SKS and AK.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

If you could get it for $150, it would be a steal even for a post-64 Model 94. $350 probably still is a good price. The pre-64 win's are more desirable, but unless you are collecting Winchesters why not a post-64. Condition of the gun has a lot to do with the price.

I have both the Winchester & Marlin 30-30's. If you don't want a scope, the Winchester is the way to go, IMO. I like the weight & balance of the rifle better than a Marlin. If you want a scope, go with a Marlin 336.

Banned

Did some checking,

the Winchester model 94 is a $1500 rifle at Cabelas ( Canada). So I guess $150 is probably a pretty damn good price.

But if he wants more, say $300, I'll politely turn him down because I can buy a Remington .308 win Remington Model 770 Bolt Action Rifle w/ Scope NEW for $299.

If he wants to sell it PM me if you decline. I need a deer gun.
    tinkerhell likes this.
    Hidden Content Wouldn't it be nice.....

Banned

We own a few Marlin 336's they are out standing economy 30-30's. The only Winchester I own was a gift and is one of their Buffalo bill edition with the heavy Hex barrel. I have shot it very little so far but a darn nice rile.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links