What is your Ammo of choice?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is your Ammo of choice? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; What is your range ammo of choice? What is your personal Defense ammo of choice? What kind of ammo have you wanted to buy, but ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is your range ammo of choice?
    What is your personal Defense ammo of choice?

What kind of ammo have you wanted to buy, but just haven't for some unknown reason?

My range ammo is Tulammo, while a lot of people hate the steel case, I find that (and I planned it this way) it runs pretty flawlessly with all 4 of my major caliber of guns, 9mm, .40s&w, .223, and 7.62x39.

Personal Defense: I love the Winchester PDX1, stuff is great, and I also have a few boxes of the Hornady Zombie Max, which is the same as Hornady Critical Defense....but it's a buck cheaper a box around here.

A long while ago I bought a box, should I say a package, of 9mm Magsafe ammo. If you haven't looked into this brand, do it (magsafeonline.com). This stuff is EXPENSIVE, but cool! It's a pre-fragmented round, so it creates multiple wound cavities and is designed to not over penetrate. I think 8 rounds is like 20 some bucks, so I have my Beretta loaded every other PDX1 then a magsafe.

What do ya'll shoot?
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Re: What is your Ammo of choice?

Usually for my guns I try to buy brass, but for my SKS I buy solely steel casings. I figure if I clean it good, then what the heck. Also, I think the steel vs brass issue is overrated (again depends on how you clean the gun). Therefore I buy cheap sks ammo.

for my bushmaster, I buy brass, just because of habit and its about the same in .223 and 5.56. Usually walmart has the best deals, but folks I've been talking with say that ammoman.com has great prices plus free shipping. They say to look at the cost per round instead of the overall cost of the bullets.

Federal and winchester are two main brands I buy.

Banned

you know, that's a question I couldn't answer. I shot so many different types, they all seem the same as me. I got some tula in the back, Winchester, federal, some chinese steel jacketed 7.62 in one of those sardine cans you have to cut open, (i want more of those) and my uncle used to reload ammo for me, custom grind the case mouths and all that, and damn if they didn't shoot the same as a stock box of tula. Go figure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Whatever is on sale.

I prefer brass for my AR. I'll shoot steel in my AK.

I shoot what I can get. I have purchased ammo for my department for years. The Wolf and other steal case is very dirty but fire fine. The big complaint is the coating on the steel case melts and sticks the case to the chamber. The biggest issue is the different points of impact when you change ammo. That is why Mil Spec ammo is desirable. FPS is the same and so is bullet weight to keep point of impact consistent. For what I am buying I get what I can find cheap. Brass is preferred for reloading but I buy steal case at the right price and intent to us it in the area where I cant recover the casings. If I can keep a 4 moa at 100 Im fine with that. I am hording for combat not squirrels.

I load my own. 38, 45 ACP & Long Colt, .223, .40 S&W, .270
    The smithy’s anvil rings with woe.
    Swords for soldiers row on row.
    Against the nobles they must stand.
    And for their souls take back the land.
    AnvilIron

Banned

Hornady Critical Defense. I've found that their FPS varies considerably over the chrono, but I sure like that bullet design!

I use Federal 100rd value pack 9mm and American Eagle .223 for the range. Both are good quality ammo, and neither has had a failure for me. Plus, they're the cheapest brass ammo in my area. I prefer brass in these calibers since the saving on steel is not as much as it is for 7.62, and I can save the brass for hand loading down the road.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P 9mm in my pistol and have Hornady TAP FPD 75gr .223 in my AR for home defense.
    I believe in gun control - a good shooter's grip should be taught at a young age.

Banned

I reload, both practice and ccw ammo. The practice 9mm ammo is a hard cast 160 gr lrn, at about 750 fps from a 3" barrel. The carry ammo is mixed, every other rd being a prefrag of my own design, and a "piercer" also of my own design. Most of the time, I don't carry a spare mag for my pocket 9, because if you need to reload your handgun, you are probably going to die anyway. the ranges are too short, the enemy can "outflank" your cover in 1-2 seconds, at most, and he can shoot, stab or club you 4x per second, with each hand. So you simply must make the first 1 second and the first 5 shots suffice. Fortuanately, the great majority of attackers don't make you shoot at all, just showing them your ready gun runs them off. Even more are run off by misses, and poor hits, too.

All practice and hunting/self-defense are the same here. I reload everything I shoot but I get it that many don't. To me the reloading is "almost" as much fun as shooting it. I'm just getting ready to start casting my own boolits this winter after hunting season.

Only exception is shotgun which I shall tool up for over the next year. I don't shoot them that much but I do feel I should be prepared to build my own - just in case...

1895gunner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links