Home Defense Rig - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Home Defense Rig

This is a discussion on Home Defense Rig within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; A light is great if your never sure where all your friendlies maybe. I have a son that at 21 you never know what he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Home Defense Rig

A light is great if your never sure where all your friendlies maybe. I have a son that at 21 you never know what he and is friends may think is fun at night. Being able to illuminate the activity could be a life savor. Shot guns with extended tubes are more than adequate when loaded with 00 buck or slugs. Both Remington 870 and maverick 88 is available here.9

With the roving angry mobs an ak with a 75 round drum, mepro 21 illuminated sight and tac light is pretty good. I would agree with the sentiment of never give up but realistically if I need more than 75 rounds I am in deep Kimshe.
    Last edited by Camel923; 07-17-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    NotTooProudToHide likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    A light is great if your never sure where all your friendlies maybe. I have a son that at 21 you never know what he and is friends may think is fun at night. Being able to illuminate the activity could be a life savor. Shot guns with extended tubes are more than adequate when loaded with 00 buck or slugs. Both Remington 870 and maverick 88 is available here.9

With the roving angry mobs an ak with a 75 round drum, mepro 21 illuminated sight and tac light is pretty good. I would agree with the sentiment of never give up but realistically if I need more than 75 rounds I am in deep Kimshe.
    My AR is wearing a Vortex Strike Eagle zero'd at 50 and is good up to 300 with that zero. While I'm prepared otherwise my primary defense outside the house is locked windows, doors, and ultimatly LEO. If me and mine are safe inside the house I'm more than willing to make a call and wait for them to come and take care of the issue for me.
    Camel923 likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

With everything that's been going on I've also been looking at some less than lethal options to have laying around and came across 12 gauge pepperball rounds. I'm curious if anyone here has experimented with them and how those experiments turned out.
    You mean, just hurt 'em?

What's wrong with you boy?

"Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    You mean, just hurt 'em?

If you handload shotgun, some 12ga rock salt loads might be great to disperse a mob without killing them.

Up close those would be lethal and at range still might poke an eye out. I guess it would depend on the size salt you used? Shaker size might useful up close to blind assailants without killing. Maybe mix in some powdered habanero too.
    Robie likes this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    If you handload shotgun, some 12ga rock salt loads might be great to disperse a mob without killing them.

Up close those would be lethal and at range still might poke an eye out. I guess it would depend on the size salt you used? Shaker size might useful up close to blind assailants without killing. Maybe mix in some powdered habanero too.
    In Florida, that would be considered use of deadly force.
    So, you might as well do it right. Buck shot.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    In Florida, that would be considered use of deadly force.
    So, you might as well do it right. Buck shot.
    You're right of course.

Just can't get the image out of my mind though: a wide line of maybe two dozen guys with 12 gauge shotguns, advancing on the threatening mob and firing rock salt into it. Warms the old heart.

Home Defense Rig-il_570xn.1216077023_kdkt.jpg
    Prepared One likes this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

My home defense rigs have varied over the years from the overly complicated and complex workings of a fully decked out AND legal suppressed SBR to my Glock. If and that's a very strong if, this individual or more than likely the group manage to get into my house my wife and I have a plan established. Lil Mama Bear will take her suppressed Saiga 410 with a mounted light and the dogs and lock down in the boy's room. She has a Bronc box in there loaded to the gills with more drums, her one plate carrier and pistol. Meanwhile I'll take my Ithaca Mag 10 Roadblocker and go about dealing with the threats as duplex loads of #4 and 00 buck see fit.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    You mean, just hurt 'em?

If you just hurt them, they can still hurt you back. I am in favor of them not being able to hurt you back.
    Butler Ford likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    My home defense rigs have varied over the years from the overly complicated and complex workings of a fully decked out AND legal suppressed SBR to my Glock..........
    Home defense firearms should never be suppressed. You want EVERYONE to know there's shots being fired.

If there's more than one BG, it will likely send 'em running. It warns other members of your tribe that's something's amiss. It also alerts as many neighbors as possible that something is wrong nearby. And if they're neighbors worth a shyte, they'll come to your aid.

Plus.... suppressors are just extra weight. And they make the entire rig longer than necessary. It's a home-defense rig: meaning you plan on using it IN your home. Those extra inches sticking out make it less maneuverable inside a structure.
    Last edited by Back Pack Hack; 08-01-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    Michael_Js and Butler Ford like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Home defense firearms should never be suppressed. You want EVERYONE to know there's shots being fired.

If there's more than one BG, it will likely send 'em running. It warns other members of your tribe that's something's amiss. It also alerts as many neighbors as possible that something is wrong nearby. And if they're neighbors worth a shyte, they'll come to your aid.

Plus.... suppressors are just extra weight. And they make the entire rig longer than necessary. It's a home-defense rig: meaning you plan on using it IN your home. Those extra inches sticking out make it less maneuverable inside a structure.[/QUOTE]

Here's how I see it; you kill someone whether it's justified or otherwise there's still a transition back into life ( not for them). It may not be normal life for me, but for my wife and boys. The last thing my wife needs are two boys crying while possibly bandaging me up, she doesn't need that while police are taking me away in handcuffs. My " tribe " is my wife and dogs from that standpoint and they'll already be aware of the situation. If you take the time ( which I encourage) to read my post This is My Castle you'll understand that a single gunshot will not resonate with the individuals who have taken the time to enter my home. My neighbors may hear the shot, probably won't pay any attention to it besides if 98% of them are the calvary I oughta have Stevie Wonder as my lookout. My SBR's are purposefully built for maneuverability in a vehicle so a floor plan specifically tailored to avoid tight scenarios won't be a problem. Talk about weight all you want I slung drill steel for 5 years those ounces mean nothing.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links