How long do you keep your magazines loaded? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How long do you keep your magazines loaded?

This is a discussion on How long do you keep your magazines loaded? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Annie I'm thinking about concealed carry. Just leave it loaded and ready go with the same mag all the time? Carrying or ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: How long do you keep your magazines loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I'm thinking about concealed carry. Just leave it loaded and ready go with the same mag all the time?
    Carrying or sitting in the safe.... it's the same. Load 'em and fuhgeddabowd it.
    Smitty901, Annie and Piratesailor like this.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Buy quality Magazines, keep them loaded and ready to go.
    inceptor, Annie and Piratesailor like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I have in a desk drawer 5 USGI M-14 magazines in pouches that have sat loaded with 19 rounds in each for about 27 years now.

Springs are fine in them, checked them about a month ago.

I also have around 100, 20 and 30 round USGI M-16 mags loaded with 19 or 29 respectively.

Most of those are in 20 MM cans in bandoliers ready to go.

There are others, loaded for other guns.

The M-16 mags will also fit my 5.56 Galils.

I have a stack of Wilson-Rodgers SS 1911 mags that have been loaded for at least 15 years.

The AK drums don't count, they need to be wound up before use.

What is scary is the factor that like others, I live in a libtard state, the stuff may be in need for SD this summer.

Even the chink AK mag springs were OK, unloaded a Poly mag loaded with now rare poly green case ammo from early on.

Put it all back in the mags and put them back in their place.
    StratMaster, inceptor and Annie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Do the springs wear out if you keep them loaded? Do you need to switch them out? How often do they need changing? Do you keep them fully loaded?
    Heard that rumor but dont think it hurts anything to load em and leave em. This old Sig I been lugging the past 25 years stays firmly packed except for one day a year when I go shoot it to keep my packing card up to date. Always works perfect. Not sure that gun knows how to fail to feed lol. Takes Germans to know how to make a gun. Much better than those trashy old 1911s. They prob get weak springs staying loaded all the time. Thats why the safest way to carry one is the ammo in the glove box and the gun in the trunk. Cant get weak springs or accidentally make them go off like that. Thats how I would carry one if I owned one anyway..which aint likely unless somebody gives it up for free.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 06-11-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    Annie likes this.

I only ever shoot range ammo. But I carry defense ammo. That's no good?
    @Slippy means that you should ensure your gun likes your defensive ammo. Run a few full magazines through it at your next range trip to be safe and confident that it will function properly when/if it's ever needed.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I only ever shoot range ammo. But I carry defense ammo. That's no good?
    Do both function will with the firearm?

I'm a proponent of having the 'good' ammo always loaded, ready to rock n roll. It must be reliable and accurate. Reliable as in does it go boom every trigger pull, and does it land on-target (where you're aiming at with the sights) consistently?

Use the cheap stuff to practice gun handling. Reloading, counting rounds, off-axis and weak-hand firing. Recognizing and correcting malfunctions such as failure to feed, failure to eject, squibs, stovepiping. Practice firing standing up, kneeling, laying on your side, laid out prone, using various heights as 'cover'.....
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Heard that rumor but dont think it hurts anything to load em and leave em. This old Sig I been lugging the past 25 years stays firmly packed except for one day a year when I go shoot it to keep my packing card up to date. Always works perfect. Not sure that gun knows how to fail to feed lol. Takes Germans to know how to make a gun. Much better than those trashy old 1911s. They prob get weak springs staying loaded all the time. Thats why the safest way to carry one is the ammo in the glove box and the gun in the trunk. Cant get weak springs or accidentally make them go off like that. Thats how I would carry one if I owned one anyway..which aint likely unless somebody gives it up for free.
    You are a die hard on the 1911 aren't you???, can you walk and chew a plug at the same time?

The Wilson-Rodgers 1911 mags are a head above the Sig mags in every way.

The springs in the Sigs are fine but the bodies are made from crap, probably old T-34 hulls.

They should have never broken up Krupp Werk.

You can watch them rust in place, I parkerized mine to slow the process, remember I carry one myself.

As I have said before in here, I converted S&W stainless steel mags to fit the Sigs, work just fine and they don't rust!

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Keep mine loaded all the time now. taught to only load 18 into a 20 rd or 28 into a 30 rd mag because the added compression can making seating a magazine difficult (i.e. need to slap it hard) and can cause a round to dislodge from the top and cause a jam.

agree that constant use is more wear than just being compressed....but I never had magazines loaded for more than a couple years so far.
    Yes, that was also US Army policy in the late 60's with 20 round M16 mags. Only load 18.
    We didn't have 30 rounders, I was in when Moses was a Corporal.

I have had East German 30 round AK mags sitting loaded and ready for over a decade now.
    (Maybe with all the unrest I may actually clean the rifle. i can't remember how many years it's been)
    SOCOM42 and 1skrewsloose like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Do both function will with the firearm?

I'm a proponent of having the 'good' ammo always loaded, ready to rock n roll. It must be reliable and accurate. Reliable as in does it go boom every trigger pull, and does it land on-target (where you're aiming at with the sights) consistently?

Use the cheap stuff to practice gun handling. Reloading, counting rounds, off-axis and weak-hand firing. Recognizing and correcting malfunctions such as failure to feed, failure to eject, squibs, stovepiping. Practice firing standing up, kneeling, laying on your side, laid out prone, using various heights as 'cover'.....
    Back in the hypo days we used .38 spc for target shooting and hot .357 for business. Shot up the duty stuff twice a year or so and got some new stuff course speaking wheel guns on that deal. Now not sure if city cops ever shoot up the good stuff. Now my last duty ammo was 15 years old or so. Finally shot it up and it worked fine. Got some .40 Cal Tactical..which seems to be made to shoot through heavy coats.
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...ls.aspx?id=566

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    @Slippy means that you should ensure your gun likes your defensive ammo. Run a few full magazines through it at your next range trip to be safe and confident that it will function properly when/if it's ever needed.
    It's what the range guy recommended. Hornady critical defense. I'll try it out next time. Thanks.
    Piratesailor likes this.
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links