Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Let's talk guns! .357

11K views 80 replies 27 participants last post by  Steve40th 
#1 ·
Semi auto .357 handgun, worth it or get a .45? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
.357 sig is a hot round. Make sure the pistol was designed to handle it or the pistol will wear out prematurely from the beating. I think it a great round as is the .45. The Military ball 45 is easily silenced if that is something your concerned with.

#7 ·
Get a .357 Magnum revolver and a 1911A1 in 45 ACP.
The 357 magnum is the best all around handgun cartridge ever made.
And the 1911A1 is the best fighting handgun ever.

#11 ·
The 357 Sig would be a better round. However the 357 (sig) semi auto is a different round than the 357 Mag you are use to in a 357 revolver. The 357 Sig is still an old ball.

#17 ·
#18 ·
What is the intent of new said firearm?

Do you enjoy sore hands after a day at the range? Then .357SIG is for you!
Do you live in the early 1900s and reject modern technology? Then the .45AUTO is the way to go!

:devil:
I kid, I kid...

Depending on your needs, either can work exceptionally well. Both great calibers in their own right.
As was mentioned, the .45 can be silenced quite well, since it's slow, and still hit HARD!
The .357SIG fixes all the problems with the .40S&W and has great terminal ballistics.

#21 · (Edited)
Around here ammo for the .357 sig and the 10 MM is virtually non existant.

If you intend to use it, them, for SHTF,

I would stick with .357 S&W Magnum and .45 ACP.

That ammo is always in stock and rolled over all the time,

a box or two of the others reside on the shelf for years.

There are no new or used 10 MM guns in the cases,

the few used of either end going to online auction after a year.

Some .357 Sig guns show up in the store used,

mostly police trade ins for 9 MM Para. guns.

I have a .357 tube for my G-23 and one box of ammo for it,

came with the gun, but it is 40 cal from factory.

I have S&W SS revolvers in .357 Mag. along with a Marlin 1894 lever gun.

With the revolvers, I have every confidence in them,

ammo I use for SD is black talon and armor piercing,

Three of each loaded, alternating in cylinder and speed loaders.

The .45 ACP round is great!

I have 5 1911's in it and 2 S&Ws 4566s, plus some machine guns.

A +P 38 S&W special is nothing to sneeze at either.

Carry them in a S&W 642 as a backup.

#25 ·
Many "experts" believe the Browning High Power was his ultimate handgun design.
And I wouldn't mind having one from the late 30's.
But, sadly, its biggest drawback is the puny 9MM chambering. :tango_face_smile:
It would be good for the range, though.

#24 ·
I wanted a heavy hitter for my nightstand with capacity so I got the PPQ 45. 12 rounds plus one of 45 goodness. :tango_face_grin: I have a couple of 1911's and I love them, but I wanted a higher round count and the PPQ 45 fit the bill. Good trigger, really nice feel, and true on target out of the box. An added feature is a rail for a weapon light (Olight Valkyrie 2) so I can see said bad guy before I put great big holes in him. :tango_face_grin: It resides on my nightstand when I go to bed.

#27 ·
Semi Auto 357, Sig? I'll pass, Magnum the LAR Grizzly is in my opinion your best bet. I personally believe the 1911 platform especially with the 45 Auto is an extremely dated pair.

I'm sure you're like many of us, have those particular few guns you use the most. To me an LAR is a great collection expander. But if you're looking for a working gun I would suggest an upgrade in caliber.

#28 ·
Semi Auto 357, Sig? I'll pass, Magnum the LAR Grizzly is in my opinion your best bet. I personally believe the 1911 platform especially with the 45 Auto is an extremely dated pair.

I'm sure you're like many of us, have those particular few guns you use the most. To me an LAR is a great collection expander. But if you're looking for a working gun I would suggest an upgrade in caliber.
Had a couple LAR Grizzers in .45 Winchester Magnum come across my table at gunshows in the late 80's. Kept them for awhile of course before they went on the selling/trading block. Fun. To. Shoot!

#30 ·
I was just in the local Academy Sports before they closed up, and they were out of every common caliber... but the section with Sig branded .357SIG rounds was packed 5 wide, 5 high, and 5 deep.
I chuckled.
Their 10mm was well stocked too.
:tango_face_smile:

Family picked up my father's day gift. A Lee 50th Anniversary Reloading Kit!
Never tried reloading before. Figure this kit is a good intro into my next money sink. Ha!

#33 · (Edited)
I was just in the local Academy Sports before they closed up, and they were out of every common caliber... but the section with Sig branded .357SIG rounds was packed 5 wide, 5 high, and 5 deep.
I chuckled.
Their 10mm was well stocked too.
:tango_face_smile:
Yeah, because nobody wanted them!

Chain stores will put a lot of product on the shelves whether they sell or not.

A small guy running a small shop can't afford to do that, stocks what sells, just like the LGS,

And a few other shops I do repair work for.

#32 ·
I will not disrespect the 45. That does not mean time can not improve. As for the 357 MAG if it needs killin man or beast the 357 will do it. So many rounds for it and the 38 option. It has only one flaw. It is a revolver round and 6 is all you get. My double stack 45 is 14+1 . It is a beast but a breast that will stay in the fight a bit longer.

#34 ·
I use the .38 as a backup piece, loded with +P ammo.

I know that the double stacked .40 is the limit on grip size for me,

what is the point of having more/bigger if you can't shoot the damn thing.

The 1911 is merely an extension of my arm, I can shoot it quite well, Have done well in competition in the past with it.

I have been shooting them for 61 years, never had one fail on me at anytime.

#36 ·
Don’t forget, the Europeans also thought highly of the 32ACP for police work.

When it comes to firearms, bigger IS better, just like American V-8 engines.
“There’s no replacement for displacement.”

#41 ·
Don't forget, the Europeans also thought highly of the 32ACP for police work.

When it comes to firearms, bigger IS better, just like American V-8 engines.
"There's no replacement for displacement."
Yeah but, that originated in the early 1900s with the beginning of reliable auto pistols, then depression and then war kept them in use.

The PD here in the big city carried Colt revolvers in 32 Long Colt up until 1955.

Only the state police carried .357 mags at the time, and the city transitioned to 38 S&W special.

#48 · (Edited)
Hey BW, a few years back, here there was a state trooper who got into a gunfight with a big black guy,

the trooper was using a Sig in 40 cal.

Black guy was using a stolen revolver that had just used to commit an armed robbery.

The trooper put 4, 40 rounds in his chest, the perp missed with all 6 of his then charged at the trooper before he could

reload.

The guy took the trooper down, trooper got out his backup, a 25 auto and emptied it at the guys head, muzzle touching!

NONE of the rounds penetrated!!!

A good samaritan stopped to help with a drawn .357 mag, trooper yelled to shoot the SOB!

The good guy shot him in the head and ended the confrontation.

Autopsy showed that the perp had plenty of ketamine in his system, he would have died a short time after he was hit with

the 40s, but not soon enough, he never felt any of the rounds that did hit him.

Would have taken a 12 gage with 00 at 6 feet to the face to have stopped him.

#57 ·
Hey BW, a few years back, here there was a state trooper who got into a gunfight with a big black guy,

the trooper was using a Sig in 40 cal.

Black guy was using a stolen revolver that had just used to commit an armed robbery.

The trooper put 4, 40 rounds in his chest, the perp missed with all 6 of his then charged at the trooper before he could

reload.

The guy took the trooper down, trooper got out his backup, a 25 auto and emptied it at the guys head, muzzle touching!

NONE of the rounds penetrated!!!

A good samaritan stopped to help with a drawn .357 mag, trooper yelled to shoot the SOB!

The good guy shot him in the head and ended the confrontation.

Autopsy showed that the perp had plenty of ketamine in his system, he would have died a short time after he was hit with

the 40s, but not soon enough, he never felt any of the rounds that did hit him.

Would have taken a 12 gage with 00 at 6 feet to the face to have stopped him.
Super hot .50 cal plus p needed in that jurisdiction for angry democrats on special K? PCP..etc etc. Stil trying to plug a lack of a rim into this equation. You dont like rims on wheel gun cartridges? Well me neiher..if thts the point. Can 10 mms shoot .40s? if so I might buy one next time. Neigbor who has kin in day gun bizness says hes got a lot of gently used glock .40s the big ones I supect trade ins from an area cop shoppe. Trying to peddle for two hundred each. Is that a good price? Who wants one? He was supposed to check on whether its the one where they screw it up sometime. Or is that the Sigs where they only shoot DA in some commie ran PDs.

#50 ·
The Model of 1911 is the most copied and produced of ANY handgun today.

#51 ·
I'm not sure why these always devolve into 1911 discussions...

Nothing new will be said, and nobody will change their minds. Let it go.
Some say they are the best, others say they suck. In a world with thousands of varying options, both opinions can be right.
The point is, it's all opinion, and none of it matters...

1,000 years in someone else's hand can't compare to 1 hour in your own.
Shoot what YOU trust and works for YOU!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.