M1a fiberglass vs walnut
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

M1a fiberglass vs walnut

This is a discussion on M1a fiberglass vs walnut within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I recently got a GI m14 fiberglass stock for my M1a nm, how much will I loose in accuracy from the wood stock? Been all ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: M1a fiberglass vs walnut

M1a fiberglass vs walnut

I recently got a GI m14 fiberglass stock for my M1a nm, how much will I loose in accuracy from the wood stock? Been all over the net this afternoon and get 50/50 as to which is better. I love the look and feel of the walnut but wanted something to bang around the woods and shtf with. Just think the walnut is too pretty to mess up. If I go with GI stock should it be glass bedded also?
    rice paddy daddy and RedLion like this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    I recently got a GI m14 fiberglass stock for my M1a nm, how much will I loose in accuracy from the wood stock? Been all over the net this afternoon and get 50/50 as to which is better. I love the look and feel of the walnut but wanted something to bang around the woods and shtf with. Just think the walnut is too pretty to mess up. If I go with GI stock should it be glass bedded also?
    Psst, do not tell @rice paddy daddy

If I'm going to loose too much I'll resell the glass stock, my M1a is my favorite all-time long gun, for anything that needs doing. Cold as heck here or I'd take it to the range and compare notes.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 01-13-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    Slippy likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

The M14, being designed for combat and used in combat, was made for getting “ banged around “.
    The only reason the Fiberglas stock was introduced was to perhaps be better in a tropical jungle environment, Vietnam.
    Mine wears a hardwood factory stock, can’t really say it’s genuine walnut. The upper hand guard is Fiberglas, like the originals.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Sounds the same as mine, I guess my question is being the nm is glass bedded from the factory what will I loose accuracy wise compared to glass stock. If minute of bg I'm going with the glass stock.
    My eyes and steadiness are not what they once were so I'm not looking at sniper stuff.

The heavy walnut stocks on the NM is really nice wood. They have real good bedding that helps accuracy. They recommend not separating them unless necessary. Take care of the stock with linseed or tung oil.

If you go fiberglass I'd get it bedded by a good smith, but keep the wood one.

Maybe @SOCOM42 will see this thread, he knows volumes about service rifles.

Re-read your post, so, as long as I'm not in a humid conditions the walnut will be fine. Guess I'll deal with the nicks and dings, think folks say it gives a rifle character.

In the 30 years I've had the gun barrel and stock only been apart 3 times. The manual says same as you, only separate when necessary. Thanks. @madtrapper
    Mad Trapper likes this.

In the 30 years I've had the gun barrel and stock only been apart 3 times. The manual says same as you, only separate when necessary. Thanks. @madtrapper
    Agree 1skrew!

Sometimes Less is More. A while back, I totally broke down my Winchester 94 to give it a good cleaning and of course it hadn't been apart since , I don't know... 1968 or so...of course I struggled to get it back tight as it was and just the other day I shot it and had to re-tighten everything. But it shoots good and straight and doesn't have 50 years of gunk on it!
    bigwheel likes this.

30 years ago was when SAI was well stocked with USGI original parts. Did you get it new? Probably a Glen Nelson product.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links