M1a fiberglass vs walnut - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

M1a fiberglass vs walnut

This is a discussion on M1a fiberglass vs walnut within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Slippy Agree 1skrew! Sometimes Less is More. A while back, I totally broke down my Winchester 94 to give it a good ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: M1a fiberglass vs walnut

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Agree 1skrew!

Sometimes Less is More. A while back, I totally broke down my Winchester 94 to give it a good cleaning and of course it hadn't been apart since , I don't know... 1968 or so...of course I struggled to get it back tight as it was and just the other day I shot it and had to re-tighten everything. But it shoots good and straight and doesn't have 50 years of gunk on it!
    Check your zero slippy. Those 94s with barrel bands can move around depending how tight the screws are. Same with the pre-64 M70s, but they had a screw in front of stock into the barrel, I saw one change ~2' at 100 yds.
    Slippy likes this.

I bought it used in about 1988, in original box with manual, like a dumbass the box is gone but still have the papers, looked and still looks like new. I'll have to search glen nelson, new to me. Previous owner said he shot competition. Who knows for sure.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

The Good Cop

Mine is a Standard Model.
    After each range trip I field strip it just like the Army taught me.
    Trigger group, stock, barreled reciever, bolt, operating rod, gas system, all separate for cleaning.

I can remember in Basic after muddy field conditions we would take our M14's into the shower to get the mud out before stripping and cleaning.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-13-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Wow.....Mr. Nelson has quite a pedigree!!! I doubt I could be as lucky as to have a rifle his hands touched.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Anytime a Trashfield NM is removed from the bedding the accuracy is diminished.

So at this point, with three removals and no touching up of the bedding, you won't be loosing much using a glass stock.

You would have to be a master shooter to see the difference.

If it is a heavy barrel the most you could loose would be about 1 MOA, which would mean around a 2 MOA gun.

A real field grade M-14 is about 4 MOA, so you will be about twice as accurate, relatively speaking.

Use the glass stock, doesn't make any difference now with the bedding already ruined.

Serious competition shooters do not take their rifles apart for the entire season.

When it is split for work they are then re-bedded for another year.

You do not need to bed the glass stock, a waste of money with no gain, it is not stiff enough to influence the barrel.

I have one I built, a field grade, on a Trashfield receiver in an unbedded USGI fiberglass stock,

and it shoots about 1-1/2 MOA with M80 Ball.

That is one of my SHTF rifles, mounts a L&S scope on a Brookfield Precision mount.

The glass stock was developed for the jungles in Nam to combat rot.

I was a AMTU trained armorer for 10 years with a NG state rifle team.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-14-2020 at 10:20 AM.

@rpd, leads me to believe that nm rifles were not intended for rough use, as per suggestion that they only be disassembled when required. Therefore maybe glass stock is the way to go, no chance to mess up the glass bedding on the original walnut stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    I bought it used in about 1988, in original box with manual, like a dumbass the box is gone but still have the papers, looked and still looks like new. I'll have to search glen nelson, new to me. Previous owner said he shot competition. Who knows for sure.
    Glenn Nelson built match rifles for Trashfield.

He is no longer with us.

Over the decades I have re-barreled and rebuilt many of his builds used in competition.

Barrel life is around 5K.

@rpd, leads me to believe that nm rifles were not intended for rough use, as per suggestion that they only be disassembled when required. Therefore maybe glass stock is the way to go, no chance to mess up the glass bedding on the original walnut stock.
    Did you not read what I posted?????????????

He was an military armorer who built match rifles before retiring and working for Springfield. Had his own shop that Springfield shipped parts to.

If you call Springfield they can look up serial # and tell when it was made. Also bolts and other parts will be marked if they are USGI ( H + R, Winchester, TRW, Springfield)

I'll defer to @SOCOM42 concerning working on guns.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-13-2020 at 08:45 PM.

@SOCOM42 , thank you so much, I had hoped you would respond. I will put the plastic on and be happy now. And save the pretty walnut for show and tell. Use the glass stock, doesn't make any difference now with the bedding already ruined. So once the action and barrel are separated it needs to be re-bedded? Just to clarify. Ta heck with that, I'll use as is. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links