Gun cleaning advice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gun cleaning advice

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning advice within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Iíve been using Hoppes #9 for years. It does a pretty good job removing powder residue but a lousy job removing copper fouling. Iím tired ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gun cleaning advice

Gun cleaning advice

Iíve been using Hoppes #9 for years. It does a pretty good job removing powder residue but a lousy job removing copper fouling. Iím tired of swabbing my gun barrels two or three times a day for a week to remove the copper. So who has recommendations for a good product to remove both powder and copper?
    RedLion likes this.

Shooters Choice works good.

Don't let the copper get built up. A wet patch after removing the powder overnight then a bronze brush and a few wet then dry patches.

P.S. rinse your bronze brush off, it will eat that too.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-12-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Iíve been using Hoppes #9 for years. It does a pretty good job removing powder residue but a lousy job removing copper fouling. Iím tired of swabbing my gun barrels two or three times a day for a week to remove the copper. So who has recommendations for a good product to remove both powder and copper?
    I've never used anything specifically designed to remove copper residue (I've always used Hoppes, CLP, Frog Lube Products etc) so I texted one of my buddies, a competition shooter, and he mentioned a product called JB Compound & Kroil Oil that he used for copper and other crud that may build up. This guy shoots A LOT!

Anyway, found it at Brownells below;

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...-prod1159.aspx

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Been using Kroil for years instead of stuff like WD-40 for rusted bolts. Guess I never bothered to read the can, does say for cleaning guns and rifle barrels, creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. According to the label on the can.
    Slippy likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Been using Kroil for years instead of stuff like WD-40 for rusted bolts. Guess I never bothered to read the can, does say for cleaning guns and rifle barrels, creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. According to the label on the can.
    You can make your own penetrating oil, 1:1 acetone and ATF
    1skrewsloose likes this.

@madtrapper, thanks, Kroil is spendy, I have it cause it was paid for by a prior employer.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    You can make your own penetrating oil, 1:1 acetone and ATF
    (Slippy is one sneaky bastich, one day he "slipped" on up and did a little Sneaking around and Rec-Onoitering on Mad Trapper's Laboratory. Trapper had Bunsen Burners and Beakers bubbling up concoctions left and right..

I ain't gonna lie to you, he may or may not have had some liberals on the medieval torture rack in the room he had labeled "Human Chemical Studies And the US Libtard Experiment 101"... )

Gun cleaning advice-external-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    @madtrapper, thanks, Kroil is spendy, I have it cause it was paid for by a prior employer.
    They did testing on bolts/nuts put in salt water, that mix worked as well as any commercial stuff. They checked the bolts with a torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    .......Trapper had Bunsen Burners and Beakers bubbling up concoctions left and right............
    paulag1955 likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

NRA magazine had a article 2 issues back about how to remove copper but I can't find the article online. The "expert" listed several of his favorite copper removers and would swab the barrel with the copper remover and let it sit for a while before running a nylon brush and then a patch. It often would take 5-10 applications to get all of the copper out of a heavily plated barrel.

I used to never run a bronze brush but have since learned that after cleaning a barrel with just patches if I ran a brush through it was amazing how much more crap came out when I ran a wet patch through again.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links