Gun cleaning advice - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gun cleaning advice

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning advice within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Thanks to all for your input. So many choices! My local supplier for reloading And factory ammo stocks Montana Extreme. So I guess I will ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Gun cleaning advice

Thanks to all for your input. So many choices! My local supplier for reloading And factory ammo stocks Montana Extreme. So I guess I will give their products a try. Again, thanks to all!

It was time to clean what is becoming my favorite .22LR. The Ruger RP rimfire. Put about 500-700 rounds down range sense last real cleaning. I had expected some build up I was shooting some coated rounds. But it did not seem to be an issue. Over all it cleaned up fast than expected. I use some Slip 2000 carbon killer bore cleaner. It removes plastics from coat rounds. Followed by some lead remover. Patched dry then CLP. Now I have a urge to get it dirty again.
    Chiefster23 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Clean and lubricate every time before long term storage (to me that's stored for 1 month or more without usage). I do like the one marked by Remington but you can choose whatever you like here. Btw, there I remember a great video by Lowlight demonstrating his process on the site somewhere. If I find it I will share it here. His process is simple, easy and effective.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Been using Kroil for years instead of stuff like WD-40 for rusted bolts. Guess I never bothered to read the can, does say for cleaning guns and rifle barrels, creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. According to the label on the can.
    Same here. Discovered the stuff (kroil) about 20 years ago. Ill admit to doing something stupid- I put some on my lug nut studs, I used to get all my tires from the scrap heap at my local Sunoco station. What people discarded I could get a few thousand miles out of, so as you come image I’m changing my tires often. Free tires and free labor (mine). So why not make it easier to loosen the rusty lugs. Darned wheels came off while driving! But like @1shrewloose I hadn’t given the product any thought as far as bore cleaning.
    There’s never a wrong time to do the right thing … there’s never a right time to do the wrong thing.

For copper I use Ferric chloride on a patch then clean with clean water.

Have to be carefull with it in a bore.

For lead I use sodium hydroxide solution at 200 F.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Been using Kroil for years instead of stuff like WD-40 for rusted bolts. Guess I never bothered to read the can, does say for cleaning guns and rifle barrels, creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. According to the label on the can.
    Wow..that stuff sounds slicker than semen on a gold tooth..as they say in the panhandlle sometimes about slick things. Now we had an old dispathcer at Corpuse who said he made some kinda special oill out of rattle snake fat. He said it was so slick if a person put it on a gun all the screws would fall out of it. Never did figure out if he hew was just teasing or not. He sounded serious and knew how to make everything else. He make hand tied fishing nets which are high dollar on te coast. Taught me how to make jerky. What a guy wished I had he oil reipe. .

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    You can make your own penetrating oil, 1:1 acetone and ATF
    Good tip. Thanks. How about fingernail poish remover. Thats acetone I think. That should go in a permanant prepper file. Bet there a lot of good old do it yourself tips out in the world. I will be trying to think of any I might know. I was in the boyscouts a long time. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Good tip. Thanks. How about fingernail poish remover. Thats acetone I think. That should go in a permanant prepper file. Bet there a lot of good old do it yourself tips out in the world. I will be trying to think of any I might know. I was in the boyscouts a long time. lol.
    Not all fingernail polish remover is acetone based.

You can buy a quart can of acetone at your local paint/ hardware store.

I buy it in gallon cans.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 06-26-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links