Gun cleaning advice - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gun cleaning advice

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning advice within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Elvis NRA magazine had a article 2 issues back about how to remove copper but I can't find the article online. The ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gun cleaning advice

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    NRA magazine had a article 2 issues back about how to remove copper but I can't find the article online. The "expert" listed several of his favorite copper removers and would swab the barrel with the copper remover and let it sit for a while before running a nylon brush and then a patch. It often would take 5-10 applications to get all of the copper out of a heavily plated barrel.

I used to never run a bronze brush but have since learned that after cleaning a barrel with just patches if I ran a brush through it was amazing how much more crap came out when I ran a wet patch through again.
    Some "shot out" barrels are just too fouled with copper.

"Clean guns"? Why? Just sell 'em and buy new ones.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

I've used Butch's Bore Shine for years. As @MadTrapper said, clean the bore and brushes afterwards. I use brake cleaner on the barrel followed with Rem Oil for short term storage or Ballistol for "normal" use and Synco Super Lube for longer protection. Not the cheapest, but works for me. YMMV.

P.S. The manufacturer of Butch's recommends outdoor use only due to the fumes. Brake cleaner should always be used outside. IMHO
    Last edited by wallyLOZ; 01-12-2020 at 09:58 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Opinions on using a copper remover vary. I use it. I like "Shooter's Choice" and "Bore Tech Inc Cu+2 Copper Remover." A good number of folks including myself use it when breaking in a barrel. The thought by many is that you accumulate a lot of copper when breaking in a barrel and removing it during the process quickens break-in while trying to ensure the best accuracy from that particular barrel/rifle. I use it every other time I shoot a rifle at the range. If you ever have a rifle that starts to lose accuracy, accumulation of copper could be the culprit and removing it could restore accuracy.

Lot of products that work not sold on brand. I am not an over cleaner Colt claimed more damage done by over cleaning than shooting. Slip 2000 Carbon killer also cleans lead and plastic from the bore Birchwoo Bore Scrubber 2 in 1 Copper & nitro cleaner seems to work. Follow by CLP.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Lot of products that work not sold on brand. I am not an over cleaner Colt claimed more damage done by over cleaning than shooting. Slip 2000 Carbon killer also cleans lead and plastic from the bore Birchwoo Bore Scrubber 2 in 1 Copper & nitro cleaner seems to work. Follow by CLP.
    You need quality cleaning equipment to avoid damage. A 12ga shell with primer removed works great for a bore guide on M14/M1A, good to keep rifling at muzzle sharp. Steel cleaning rods are harder, but they won't embed crap like aluminum does. If my guns are going to sit any time or it's humid they get cleaned same day.

My BP MLs get cleaned if only 1 shot.

Concerning copper, I rescued a pre-64 M70 that took two weeks of cleaning, it shoots MOA now. Favorite deer rifle with a Denver Redfield on top or Lyman peep.

The Good Cop

i use Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner, mainly because it's available out here in small town America.
    Removes lead, copper, carbon.

I also use Hoppes #9 on my milsurp rifles, it's equal to the old USGI bore cleaner, and a definite must if firing corrosive surplus ammo.

Such as the 1954 Bulgarian 7.62X54R I have a thousand rounds of.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-12-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by wallyLOZ View Post
    I've used Butch's Bore Shine for years. As @MadTrapper said, clean the bore and brushes afterwards. I use brake cleaner on the barrel followed with Rem Oil for short term storage or Ballistol for "normal" use and Synco Super Lube for longer protection. Not the cheapest, but works for me. YMMV.

P.S. The manufacturer of Butch's recommends outdoor use only due to the fumes. Brake cleaner should always be used outside. IMHO
    Brake cleaner will remove oil that is in the microscopic pores of the steel.
    Better to use carb & choke cleaner.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    i use Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner, mainly because it's available out here in small town America.
    Removes lead, copper, carbon.

I also use Hoppes #9 on my milsurp rifles, it's equal to the old USGI bore cleaner, and a definite must if firing corrosive surplus ammo.

Such as the 1954 Bulgarian 7.62X54R I have a thousand rounds of.
    Best thing for cleaning corrosive power is soap and water first. Dry then clean
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Back in the day when I shot 600yd and the occasional 1000yd on the rifle team, we used a product called Sweets to remove copper I've seen it in my local range recently so they must still make it. It smelled to high heaven, but worked wonders on copper. Just make sure to follow the instructions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links