.17 HMR VS. 22 WMR; Magnum Rimfire Comparison
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on .17 HMR VS. 22 WMR; Magnum Rimfire Comparison within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I enjoyed this article comparing the rimfire magnums. Big fan of both rounds! I think I'll blow up a squirrel's head with a 17 HMR ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .17 HMR VS. 22 WMR; Magnum Rimfire Comparison

I enjoyed this article comparing the rimfire magnums. Big fan of both rounds!

I think I'll blow up a squirrel's head with a 17 HMR to celebrate!

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...agnum-rimfire/

The Good Cop

I've been a fan of the 22 WMR since my first Ruger Single Six almost 50 years ago.
    A great round for a farm gun. In a pistol you can get better performance than a 22 LR from a rifle, but in a much handier, more portable, package.
    Out of a rifle it guarantees a quick humane kill on predators such as raccoons.

I'm holding the line at two Single Sixes, three Heritage Rough Riders, and one Savage Model 93GL bolt action rifle.
    Although, I'm thinking about selling a Winchester Model 94 30-30 and using the money to buy a Henry lever 22 WMR.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I bought a 17 HMR years ago.... tried it several times.

I sold it and went back to a 22
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I bought a 17 HMR years ago.... tried it several times.

I sold it and went back to a 22
    MM

Just curious, what about the .17HMR that you didn't care for?

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I've been a fan of the 22 WMR since my first Ruger Single Six almost 50 years ago.
    A great round for a farm gun. In a pistol you can get better performance than a 22 LR from a rifle, but in a much handier, more portable, package.
    Out of a rifle it guarantees a quick humane kill on predators such as raccoons.

I'm holding the line at two Single Sixes, three Heritage Rough Riders, and one Savage Model 93GL bolt action rifle.
    Although, I'm thinking about selling a Winchester Model 94 30-30 and using the money to buy a Henry lever 22 WMR.
    Pre '64 Winchester 94?

Listening. I have been considering a 17 hmr. Ruger is offering a RP rimfire Rife in it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

If you want to shoot tiny bullets really fast check out the 204 Ruger. Bonus you can reload your own. The ole 22mag Savage 93 drills tacks no need to risk a new rifle and another caliber.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    If you want to shoot tiny bullets really fast check out the 204 Ruger. Bonus you can reload your own. The ole 22mag Savage 93 drills tacks no need to risk a new rifle and another caliber.
    Yes, My dream list includes a .222 center fire. I like the smaller calibers in a RPR platform for lower cost practice. Also the challenge of doing more with them than is normally done .
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Listening. I have been considering a 17 hmr. Ruger is offering a RP rimfire Rife in it.
    I'm pleased with my Savage 93R17BTV...the trigger is superb and the bull barrel is one accurate mamajama. Plus the gorgeous laminated thumbhole Stock gives the rifle a nice refined look that makes the pretty girls wanna rack a round or three and pull the trigger!

.17 HMR VS. 22 WMR; Magnum Rimfire Comparison-img_1736_li.jpg

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=96250
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Mighty pretty and good read on the ammo comparisons. Only .22 mag I ever had was High Standard Deeringer in the early 70s. Made a big flash and bang and was so inaccurate a person could shoot at the ground and risk a miss. Found out later the ammo of that era was loaded with slow burning rifle powder which gave not much boost in performance over a LR in a short barrel gun...rumored to take 16 inches or so to bring it up to potential. So the next mouse gun bought in 82 was a NAA five slinger in LR. Now the smarty pants have .22 mag powder that works better in short barrels...so now i wished it was a mag. Its just not fair. Its pretty danged accurate for such a small gun once a person remembers which brands hits where on the up and down. The fast ones hita little low the slow ones hit a bit high I think. I only shoot it in the backyard on major summer holidays and New Years Eve.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 12-12-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links