The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun" within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; There is a current thread going on armed citizens stopping criminals. I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. If I'm in a public ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"

The Good Cop

There is a current thread going on armed citizens stopping criminals.

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. If I'm in a public area and shooting starts, my first duty is to retreat if possible.
    NOT to engage a shooter. I will engage if my life is directly threatened and I can not escape. But only then.

Why? Because if you shoot someone, even if you are not charged with a crime, life as you knew it is over. Done.
    Suppose one of your rounds strikes an innocent bystander? You will be sued.
    You will also most likely be sued by the criminal you shot, or if he's KIA, by his family.

Do you have the special insurance offered to concealed carriers? Do you have several hundred thousand dollars to hire a good attorney?
    What if there's a multi million dollar judgement against you? What will you do?

I'm just a Po' Boy. Ain't got much money. I also don't want the memory of one of my bullets killing an innocent child by mistake.
    My duty is to survive and support my family.
    Therefore I will do my best to escape and evade.
    Rambos and keyboard commandos do as you wish.

Read this:
    http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog...-self-defense/
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Agreed. Always leaving the situation if possible is the best case scenario.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Super Moderator

My responsibility is based out of morality and not statute. I'll do what I know is right. Then, I'll make my case to the jury. I'm sure I'll win.
    Marica, dwight55, jimb1972 and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

I believe that wholeheartedly, . . . a season to live, a season to die, a season to fight, and a season to refrain from fighting.

Pick your battles, folks, . . . be sure what you are doing, . . . it can be seriously and eternally wrong to pick the wrong battle.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Michael_Js and inceptor like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Very difficult situation to discuss. All situations are different. Situational awareness is key. Scenario driven is something you cant foresee.
    You may be just getting gas and a guy comes running out the station with a child as a hostage. I would have to do something. No hostage, let him go? Scenario driven..
    I avoid high risk areas, time of day. More overtly cautious nowadays.
    dwight55 and KUSA like this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

One of the reasons I moved out of the big city into a rural area, was to avoid a possibility of another incident.

The area surrounding the house I owned went down hill fast with the liberal policies of the city and state.

My mothers parents had owned a house and lived only two hundred yards from my purchase.

Growing up, I stayed there too many times to count, three blocks away is the oldest public park in the country.

I use to ride my bike there to play around like any other kid and sail my boat in the pond.

The street between the house and park degenerated into a bunch of bars, pizza joints, drug dealers and users.

I left there 44 years ago and never regretted it, my parents stayed in the house until they died.

I had bought it, and after my divorce the family moved in, five in all, youngest left early for med school.

Plenty of room, a 15 room Victorian built in 1890, with 4 baths.

Here I live a self imposed publicly isolated life, interacting with others as needed,

operate business as mail order only, no walk in.

I am always ready to defend me and mine again, if needed.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Steve40th, inceptor and dwight55 like this.

NOT going to risk life and freedom for someone I don't know or care about. If your a loser and can't take care of yourself, for whatever reason, that's not my problem. However mess with the family and it's on bitch.

Of course remember your 100% responsible for that bullet and anything that happens after it leaves the barrel.
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

Wise words. As I sit at keyboard and this is all theoretical at this point I agree 100%, as far as what happens in reality I have no clue how I would react as I've never been in the situation.

Another point to consider is when LEO's arrive on scene they have no idea who the bad guy is and who isn't. They just know what they've been told on the radio and everyone, especially anyone holding a weapon is a threat. Mistaken identity is an unfortunate reality so I suggest total compliance with LEO's commands.
    Last edited by NotTooProudToHide; 11-24-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    rice paddy daddy and inceptor like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My initial responsibility is for those I love and trust, of which there are few. My immediate response is to keep them from harms way. If that means slipping out the back door with them in tow, or finding cover, so be it. Alone, I may be more willing to help in a situation, but my first responsibility is always those I love and their safety. Situational awareness and not being where trouble is likely to occur is key.

Now, my job sometimes requires that I go into some pretty rough areas here in Houston so my readiness level is always high when I am alone and in those areas.

If left no other choice I will do what is necessary and deal with the consequences. I am not so much concerned about me as I am the ones I care about. A gun should always be the last resort, but one should remember, I don't much care for a lot of people as it is, so odds are I don't care for you and I wont have any trouble pulling the trigger if your threatening me and mine.
    inceptor and dwight55 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    NOT going to risk life and freedom for someone I don't know or care about. If your a loser and can't take care of yourself, for whatever reason, that's not my problem. However mess with the family and it's on bitch.

Of course remember your 100% responsible for that bullet and anything that happens after it leaves the barrel.
    Exactly my opinion, too.
    If you do not carry to protect yourself, and instead rely on police to save you, I certainly will not risk my life for you. You should have been prepared.

There was a time I was willing to die for my Brothers, in fact still am 50 years later. But strangers? No.

Simply google "self defense shooter sued by victim" to see much more.
    Chipper likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links