The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun" - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"

This is a discussion on The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun" within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Those who have never been in a gun fight, don't really know what they'll do the first time. Oh, they may believe they do, but ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"

The Good Cop

Those who have never been in a gun fight, don't really know what they'll do the first time. Oh, they may believe they do, but they really don't.
    They may freeze up. It happens.

To automatically assume you will jump into action and attempt to save the day is assuming an awful lot.

I didn't even have to think, my body did what it was trained to do.
    How well trained are you?
    And I don't mean 10 hours worth of courses, but real repetitive training, over and over until no thought is required.

Remember, in a life or death situation, even stopping for a fraction of a second to think may get you killed.
    SOCOM42 and Annie like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I was participating in a Shoot - Don't Shoot training scenario in the Sheriff's academy. As the film rolled, the action grew intense and the guy we were following sprung up from behind a bed and shot my partner in front of me and then the bad guy throws his shotgun down and surrenders..., just as I shot him. At the same time Of course, what the class saw and what I saw were miles apart. They argued that I just shot a man who was surrendering. I argued that I was justified because what I saw was the bad guy breaking the breach of his shotgun, then attempting to pull the spent shells out and reload with two other shells in his other hand. That was when I aimed and fired. To me it seemed like minutes between his first two shots into my partner and my shots into him. In reality, it was barely 5 seconds between the first two shots and my shots. After we rewound the tape the fact was that when he fumbled at getting the shells out is when he threw the gun down. What I saw was him attempting to reload in order to shoot me.
    That said, my point is, you never know what you are going to do until you are faced with the situation because mere seconds can be the difference between shoot/don't shoot.
    rice paddy daddy, Slippy and Annie like this.

Stress will make people do things they never thought they would. I've heard of instructors, who've taught thousands of students, explain that stress will make his best trained ones still forget to do simple things, like flip a safety switch they've flipped thousands of times and trained hundreds of repetitions.
    Even people with years of training can't be sure of how they will react under real stress in a new scenario. Hume teaches us that past experiences do not guarantee future outcomes. Under the right fear conditions, most people even forget to breathe.

The best we can do is simulate our reactions and plan every scenario we can think through, so the "first time" shock doesn't defeat us before we ever begin. This includes those who wish to seek out the closest exit. Those too could freeze with fear at the first sounds of gunfire. We shouldn't assume we know how it will play out, but we should at least have a decision made beforehand.
    Steve40th and Annie like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Ahhh, but my advantage is I’ve “been there” before, and know what I can do. After the first time it gets easier.
    I was willing to die for my comrades, in fact still am 50 years later, but strangers? No.

A long time ago, as a newbie my first week in country, a firefight broke out outside our perimeter between one of our ambush teams and the enemy. I remember looking at an “old timer” and asking if we were going to help. I’ll never forget his answer, never. “Better them than us.”
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 12-02-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Mr Miyagi has it right, the best block is to not be there...

Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

To be clear, I'm not making any claim against anyone's past.
    But past does not prove future. We are all very different people now than who we were decades ago. For everyone's sake, I hope we all do have full clarity of mind and faculties if the time ever comes, and can execute our own plan.
    But until it happens, we just can't know.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links