The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun" - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"

This is a discussion on The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun" within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Denton My responsibility is based out of morality and not statute. I'll do what I know is right. Then, I'll make my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The Flip Side Of "A Good Guy With A Gun"

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    My responsibility is based out of morality and not statute. I'll do what I know is right. Then, I'll make my case to the jury. I'm sure I'll win.
    Do you have tens of thousands of dollars just laying about to hire a good lawyer?
    I don't.
    If you do, that's a good thing.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Do you have tens of thousands of dollars just laying about to hire a good lawyer?
    I don't.
    If you do, that's a good thing.
    What's the old saying? Every shot you fire in self defense has a lawyer attached to it. To bad, there should be a lawyer at the end of every shot fired.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I carry, as well. But there is no law that limits you to certain businesses or recreational facilities. For that matter, you don't have to seek out all of your clients if some don't hold to your beliefs and standards.

If you don't like the blue shirt, then wear the red one...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Denton brought up the moral issue.

I look at it this way, I have a moral obligation to my wife. I swore an oath, before God, that I would be a good husband.
    I can not do that if I send us to bankruptcy court. I can not do that if the money that should be spent to ensure us a decent life is spent on legal fees.

Another thing - suppose you are wounded in the exchange. Then you will have medical bills, lost wages from work, and maybe even a permanent, painful disability.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Denton brought up the moral issue.

I look at it this way, I have a moral obligation to my wife. I swore an oath, before God, that I would be a good husband.
    I can not do that if I send us to bankruptcy court. I can not do that if the money that should be spent to ensure us a decent life is spent on legal fees.

Another thing - suppose you are wounded in the exchange. Then you will have medical bills, lost wages from work, and maybe even a permanent, painful disability.
    A fellow in the Air Reserve unit to which I belonged for a few years was the victim of an attempted car-jacking. The punk shot the former Marine in the head with a .380. The victim had the wits to return fire with his 1911. The punk went to where all punks go.
    The shooting was ruled righteous but he was told to check once a month to see if the punk's family was suing him for killing the dindonffin.

Point? You can be defending just yourself and get into legal trouble.

Point? If you're more concerned with lawyers than lives, don't even carry.

To those who are worried about hitting bystanders:
    Get good with your EDC. Make sure you can hit the target. Don't resort to spraying bullets like some hood-rat conducting a drive-by during a gang-war.
    Learn discipline so you don't panic. Run scenarios through your head when you have time to think. That way, the first time will be the second time.
    Take a tactical-shooting course. It'll boost your confidence, build discipline and help prevent a trip into Code Black which will cause you to go hood-rat with your weapon.
    Of course, buy the insurance @rice paddy daddy suggested if you can afford it.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke (in a letter addressed to Thomas Mercer). That's the short version, attributed to Burke.
    Denton and Kauboy like this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Well, any fight I can imagine is never blocked and choreographed by a Hollywood director. If something serious is about to unfold, I never hear news stories about how "the good guy cheated and swung first."
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Some people are built for running toward danger, others to seek all means of avoiding it. God bless both.

My wife knows the kind of man I am. She knows it is her responsibility to get the kids and herself to safety. If shots ring out, they get a kiss goodbye and I start moving into the fray.
    In my mind, every shot is another life lost. I *WILL* put an end to that senseless violence, or die trying.
    I am not dissuaded from doing what is right based on my bank account or potential ramifications.
    I train to hit my target. I know where my shots go. Innocent bystanders are not at risk from me.
    The only person/people that need fear me are the one(s) that don't think anyone is coming to the aid of their victims. I will bring hell down on them with methodical and calculated ferocity.

I will save lives. That is reason enough.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

There is a current thread going on armed citizens stopping criminals.

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. If I'm in a public area and shooting starts, my first duty is to retreat if possible.
    NOT to engage a shooter. I will engage if my life is directly threatened and I can not escape. But only then.[/url]
    That is certainly one attitude you can take. George Zimmerman can tell you a lot about that and he was simply defending his life. OTOH, you've got to live with yourself if 10 people die after you bug out the back door that might have been saved had you taken your concealed carry responsibility a bit more deeply.

You do what you have to do, I will do what is right and live with any consequences.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
    That is certainly one attitude you can take. George Zimmerman can tell you a lot about that and he was simply defending his life. OTOH, you've got to live with yourself if 10 people die after you bug out the back door that might have been saved had you taken your concealed carry responsibility a bit more deeply.

You do what you have to do, I will do what is right and live with any consequences.
    Nope.
    I already put my time in defending other people. I paid my dues.
    "If 10 people die" it won't be on my conscience, because I was not the one who killed them.

You go right ahead and do what you think is right, and I will do the same.
    SGG likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links