Kinder in my old age.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kinder in my old age.

This is a discussion on Kinder in my old age. within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Well, yes, people still get out of my way, but as my 70th birthday lingers like "The Banshee of Death" I realize that barroom brawling ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kinder in my old age.

Kinder in my old age.

Well, yes, people still get out of my way, but as my 70th birthday lingers like "The Banshee of Death" I realize that barroom brawling might no longer be my strong suit. I can still hit what I'm aiming at, however.

Now, perhaps ten years ago (if you patted me down) you'd find some smaller, concealable .45 ACP, like a Detonics. Frankly, that was an all or nothing pistol. It barked, and left incredible damage into the soaking wet phone-books we tested. It was a widow maker.

I never cared for the 9x19. Never.

I do/did have lots of .380 ACPs. Easy to carry, and at arms reach they were more than enough.

Fast forward. Now teenage kids will slice you up for wet saloon change. It's not our world anymore. But killing a kid is not something you easily walk away from. Hence my purchase of the SR22.

Most of my friends will laugh and say, "Gee, Chico, you bought another .45!" That's a good thing, most people have a real fear of having several large caliber slugs rip open their torso.

However, if you'll look closer, that defensive pistol is a .22LR in caliber. It's a plinker.

Here's my rationale. You pump ten shots of anything into an aggressor (be they slugs or shots of tequila) and that man is going to hit the floor, period. Hopefully it won't take all ten, and most people who have seen the elephant tell me that even a sloppy crease gets a guy to quit his aggression--unless he's on drugs.

Then again, that's why I always carry two spare magazines...

Kinder in my old age.-dsc02904.jpg

Kinder in my old age.-dsc02906.jpg
    bigwheel likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

However, if you'll look closer, that defensive pistol is a .22LR in caliber. It's a plinker.

Here's my rationale. You pump ten shots of anything into an aggressor (be they slugs or shots of tequila) and that man is going to hit the floor, period. Hopefully it won't take all ten, and most people who have seen the elephant tell me that even a sloppy crease gets a guy to quit his aggression--unless he's on drugs.

Pretty much the same reason I got the Walther P22.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Pretty much the same reason I got the Walther P22.
    Another good choice.

I went with the SR22 because the clothing I wear will cover a +mid size pistol, and I like the feature of having a full grip when everything goes to pieces.

I tried for years to find a smaller pistol when I was a bill collector, starting with a Bauer .25 ACP. Many of those years covered the period where even cops looked the other way if you had a reason.

I carry my CCW permit with me when I take out the Tuesday garbage cans. Yes, I fear the law.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No thanks, 22's are for squirrels and such, I would not bet my life on a 22 for defense unless it was all I had. At trial they will ask why you had to shoot 10 times to stop the threat. I'm no lawyer but in a juror's mind that would sound excessive.
    RedLion likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Well, 'Skrew, the only other smaller caliber I have is the .380 ACP. Up close even those will perforate.

My guess is that if you used solid point .22LR ammunition in tight quarters, even those would perforate.

The reason I said that is that I know someone who was squirrel hunting and shot a man in the head with a 22 rifle and he survived. Go big or go home. Much more velocity from a rifle vs handgun.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

I would not pick a .22LR handgun for self defense, unless (already stated) it was all I had. .380 ACP is the smallest carry gun that I do carry and as a back-up. With that said, to each their own.

Y'all act like the only way to defend yourself with a firearm is to shoot the thievin' bastid. I got a buck that says many will wet their pants and cry for Mommy when they're looking at the barrel of a gun. Brandishing can go a long way since most of the crooks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 22 and a 50 when all they can see is the business end.

I'm not saying I would rely on the BG making a fudge factory out of their Fruit-of-the-Looms, but just the sight of a firearm is, in itself, a tactical advantage.

The reason I chose the P22 for my BOB is so I can use the same ammo as my AR-7. I'll let others lug around 9s and 45s.
    1skrewsloose likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Maybe in 22 magnum but not LR. At least it's something besides a knife. Shoot the bad guy in the face a couple times and he'll stop.
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Well, yes, people still get out of my way, but as my 70th birthday lingers like "The Banshee of Death" I realize that barroom brawling might no longer be my strong suit. I can still hit what I'm aiming at, however.

Now, perhaps ten years ago (if you patted me down) you'd find some smaller, concealable .45 ACP, like a Detonics. Frankly, that was an all or nothing pistol. It barked, and left incredible damage into the soaking wet phone-books we tested. It was a widow maker.

I never cared for the 9x19. Never.

I do/did have lots of .380 ACPs. Easy to carry, and at arms reach they were more than enough.

Fast forward. Now teenage kids will slice you up for wet saloon change. It's not our world anymore. But killing a kid is not something you easily walk away from. Hence my purchase of the SR22.

Most of my friends will laugh and say, "Gee, Chico, you bought another .45!" That's a good thing, most people have a real fear of having several large caliber slugs rip open their torso.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02904.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	100779

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02906.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	100781
    Good point. The biggest Grizzly Bear killed in Canada for a long time was killed while you was still a tyke by an Indian Lady using a single shot .22. Ten delivered to the head parts in rapid succesion should work on anythihg..except maye a cape buffalo. Those horns are a biotch to bust through they say. .
    https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wha...izzly-in-1953/
    RedLion likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links