1911 magazines
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

1911 magazines

This is a discussion on 1911 magazines within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Need some input. What modern magazines currently available will fit into and work with a WW2 issued government 1911?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1911 magazines

1911 magazines

Need some input. What modern magazines currently available will fit into and work with a WW2 issued government 1911?

Wilson Combat, Wilson/Rodgers SS magazines.

These in my opinion are the best made of all, it is all I carry, plus they hold eight rounds.

For your use as mentioned, use ball ammo only, the pistol is not throated for anything else.

The Wilson made mags feed ball better than the original configuration mags.

On a separate note, nothing has changed in the 1911 to require different mags than 100 years ago.

Today it is only the quality that makes any determination in choice.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-12-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Other than the factory mags that came with my 1911's, I've only buy and use Wilson Combat Mags.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Wilson Combat, Wilson/Rodgers SS magazines.

These in my opinion are the best made of all, it is all I carry, plus they hold eight rounds.

For your use as mentioned, use ball ammo only, the pistol is not throated for anything else.

The Wilson made mags feed ball better than the original configuration mags.

On a separate note, nothing has changed in the 1911 to require different mags than 100 years ago.

Today it is only the quality that makes any determination in choice.
    I've found that my 1942 1911-A1 war horse will run Gold Dots without issue other than the gold dots I run ballrounds.
    I use Colt 7 rnd mags and McCormick shooting star 8 rnd mags. I don't have any Wilson combat but they are quite reliable so I've heard.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Looks like the Wilson 920 series, 7 round, is very close to the original government issued magazine. Am I correct?

Yes they are.

The ones I use and carry are of the 47 series which are the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I've found that my 1942 1911-A1 war horse will run Gold Dots without issue other than the gold dots I run ballrounds.
    I use Colt 7 rnd mags and McCormick shooting star 8 rnd mags. I don't have any Wilson combat but they are quite reliable so I've heard.
    But, But, But you could have a stoppage at the wrong time with the case mouth hitting the barrel under the hood left or right side.

I have seen it happen.

Unless it is a collector piece, I would do a minimal throating job on it or use a modified spare barrel.

As said I use the Wilson mags and a throated barrel for maximum reliability.

Also a very small mod is done to the extractor.

The Chip McCormick mags are pretty good but I prefer the Wilson's, to each his own.
    hawgrider likes this.

The Good Cop

I have surplus USGI mags for range only.
    For self defense I have a number of different brands, Wilson, McCormick, Novack and genuine Colt.

You have to be careful with Colt marked magazines. Some el cheapos will have the Colt name on the floor plate, real Colts have the name plus the Rampant Horse copywrited logo.

And my self defense hollow points are limited to Corbon +P and Winchester Silvertip. I have tested and made sure these feed in my two Colts, my RIA Government Model, and my Taurus PT1911.
    hawgrider likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    But, But, But you could have a stoppage at the wrong time with the case mouth hitting the barrel under the hood left or right side.

I have seen it happen.

Unless it is a collector piece, I would do a minimal throating job on it or use a modified spare barrel.

As said I use the Wilson mags and a throated barrel for maximum reliability.

Also a very small mod is done to the extractor.

The Chip McCormick mags are pretty good but I prefer the Wilson's, to each his own.
    Never had an issue yet. If you compare the bullet shape of the gold dot to a ball round its close enough my feed ramp has no issues feeding or ejecting them at all. I'm so pleased with how they run I have no issue carrying them for self-defense.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links