Firearm Training Drills-Who Trains and If So, Share Your Training Drills
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Firearm Training Drills-Who Trains and If So, Share Your Training Drills within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Having the ability to train with your firearm is an excellent way to keep your skills honed. Lately, one drill that I have been doing ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Firearm Training Drills-Who Trains and If So, Share Your Training Drills

Having the ability to train with your firearm is an excellent way to keep your skills honed.

Lately, one drill that I have been doing is Walking Toward the Target as I pull my semi auto carry weapon and firing on two targets then dropping the empty mag and inserting a new one on the move.

I also do some jumping jacks or push ups prior to this drill to get my heart rate up and simulate a stressful situation.

I'd love to hear some of your drills, thanks!

Whenever possible, I go to the pistol range with a buddy. I have him set up five targets scattered across the range. Some are red (bad guys), some are greed (good guys). He does this while I stand behind the truck so I can't see what he puts where.

I then try to put 3 shots into each red target. Hopefully, I get little Tiffany correct.
    soyer38301, Slippy and bigwheel like this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Every year I have to go through firearms in service. We have a live shoot house. We do stress courses, low light and others. One I am really fond of is a target designed to refine accuracy. It has circles that get gradually smaller until it's about the diameter of a 9mm bullet. You have to keep your rounds within the circles. Always fun.
    Slippy and bigwheel like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have multiple metal targets (AR500 Steel) hanging at various heights. A fun "game" to play is load 4 rounds and each shooter must hit 4 targets in a pre-determined sequence at 10-15 yards or whatever.

I paint the targets different colors so you can start the drill by saying Green, Red, Blue, White and the shooters must hit the 4 targets in that sequence. Then change it up the next round. The shooter that misses the most targets in a round is out.

We usually settle a tie-breaker by moving outwards to 50 yards then 75 yards then 100 yards. Usually 50 yards settles the tie breaker!
    bigwheel and RedLion like this.

Besides target practice, I go hunting and shoot varmints.

Hunting varies. Squirrels, ducks, rabbits, partridge, turkey, bear, deer. Wing shooting makes you good and quick with a shotgun. I don't do ducks/geese much anymore, they eat a lot of polluted $#!t from rivers.

Deer I usually stalk, that has been many years now and I'm still learning. Besides the shooting, it makes you use your senses and mind, also gets you a good bit of exercise sometimes pushing/tracking the same deer for miles, sometimes in the snow, and shooting in awkward positions. I don't deer hunt in "treeforts", bait, and seldom use tree stands. Natural ground blinds are good when stalking is noisy.

Varmints are year round mostly with high power air rifles. Woodchucks, rabbits, tree rats, crows, starlings, chipmunks, mice....... I don't bother the yotes, fox, coons, skunks unless they bother me.

If you have a swamp nearby, cattails make excellent targets for practice. Not too big of target and a nice "puff" of fluff with a hit. Try shooting 4-5 in a row quick. Mostly air rifle or 22s.

I have done "primitive" biathilons; snowshoes and traditional muzzleloaders on a closed course. I hunt MLers and snowshoe anyway.
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Having the ability to train with your firearm is an excellent way to keep your skills honed.

Lately, one drill that I have been doing is Walking Toward the Target as I pull my semi auto carry weapon and firing on two targets then dropping the empty mag and inserting a new one on the move.

I also do some jumping jacks or push ups prior to this drill to get my heart rate up and simulate a stressful situation.

I'd love to hear some of your drills, thanks!
    Sounds good..but us older guys aint that motivated. I go to the range once a year..punch my fifty holes..clean Mr. Sig..try to mooch some take home ammo.. and head to the Sports Grill to brag and show pics of my target..while quaffing a few cold Dr. Poopers.
    Firearm Training Drills-Who Trains and If So, Share Your Training Drills-latest-target.jpg
    Last edited by bigwheel; 09-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Sounds good..but us older guys aint that motivated. I go to the range once a year..punch my fifty holes..clean Mr. Sig..try to mooch some take home ammo.. and head to the Sports Grill to brag and show pics of my target..while quaffing a few cold Dr. Poopers.
    And...you do it laying on your side! AWESOME! You are certainly the trick shooter! Lemme tip you over and see how that looks! HA!

Name:  latest target.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  78.6 KB

We still do rapid target engagements . 3 to 5 second rushes reload on the move. All the skill level 1- 3 task from time to time. We have the room for it.
    Slippy and Inor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Was always my favorite type of hunting stalk and track. Just to fricken boring sitting in a stand waiting to ambush a poor animal and think I'm a great hunter. Problem is now in WI there really is no place to hunt like that anymore. Don't dare risk it on public land, you'll end up shot. With all the city idiots moving out and building houses on 5 acres or less. Finding a large enough track of private land that isn't leased is impossible. Why I quit hunting last year.

This isn't a drill but I have plans to do some shooting off the bike while moving. Pistol in chest holster under riding jacket. Pull the clutch in and coast while engaging targets strong hand. Don't know if it's possible to hit a target but want to find out. Crimson Trace laser may be a big help. Also want to try shooting out of the truck both sides while moving. Do have plenty of land and a nice wooded hill side to shoot into safely.
    Slippy and Mad Trapper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I have multiple metal targets (AR500 Steel) hanging at various heights. A fun "game" to play is load 4 rounds and each shooter must hit 4 targets in a pre-determined sequence at 10-15 yards or whatever.

I paint the targets different colors so you can start the drill by saying Green, Red, Blue, White and the shooters must hit the 4 targets in that sequence. Then change it up the next round. The shooter that misses the most targets in a round is out.

We usually settle a tie-breaker by moving outwards to 50 yards then 75 yards then 100 yards. Usually 50 yards settles the tie breaker!
    Sounds like over entergetic meth heads to the untrained eye. Drink a glass of milk and take a nap. That can take the edge off hopefully. Works for pilled up Truck Drivers on West Coast Turnaround pills anyway.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links