Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ammo question

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  AquaHull 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with Aguila ammo? I've seen a lot of sales lately and was thinking of getting some for range practice. Never used it before do have no idea if it's any good.

Also what do you typically use for range practice?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
I've tossed this range ammo idea around in my head many times. What qualifies for range ammo? If you're shooting at a 100 yard target any BG is in range. I'm open to clarification on this point. Pretty much in my mind any ammo of modern manufacturing that will fly down the barrel will work for anything. Except match shooting
Maybe hunting game..

#6 ·
Well after having spent half an hour trying to decide if we was shooting pistols or rifles on this deal....so to make sure I went and dug out a dusty old box of .40 practice ammo the cop shoppe passes out for target shooting and it says Winchester 165 gr. FMJ and has Target stamped on it. Works good. Never heard of the other stuff.

#7 · (Edited)
I use it for target shooting and plinking mainly 22LR, 9MM and a little 380 from time to time. This stuff had always worked just fine for
me your mileage may vary!

I picked up some of their mini shells awhile back but have not tried beyond a few shells! I'm interested how
this stuff will do long run but for now I stick with standard sizes 12GA.

#9 · (Edited)
Sasq my boy

So called "Range Ammo" is kinda like an adult diaper...it DEPENDS! (Slippy cracks himself up! :vs_laugh:)

Seriously, some firearms I shoot the exact ammo that I carry; others I shoot the least expensive and others I shoot a specific type of ammo. Still others I experiment with all types of ammo.

For example I have a few guns that I prefer to carry. I ALWAYS shoot exactly what I carry in them for self defense.

Most of my .22LR's I shoot what I own and I own a lot of cheap .22LR
Other guns like my Springfield 1911 TRP that I shoot with my competition buddies, I usually shoot a 200 grain Semi-Wadcutter in .45 ACP. Not the cheapest but very reasonably priced but the main reason is for consistency with this firearm. I rarely carry this gun self defense.

All of my AR's I shoot any and every type of ammo.

Specifically to your question about Aguila Ammo, I do not go out of my way to buy Aguila but I own plenty and I do not recall any problems with any of it. the Aguila ammo that I own I probably got a hell of a deal on it I suspect.

Aguila is a Mexican company so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

#20 ·
If Smitty ever darkens my doorway, I'm taking him down into the former "gunroom" and I'm loading his side-car with anything he points to.

I can do simple math in my head, despite your hurtful laughter. In the equation of "New cost divided by reloaded cost over time" I lose money if I reload.

#22 ·
I've shot plenty of aguila over the years.. seems to shoot just fine, but man it smells funky. Kinda like sweetened rotten eggs

#24 ·
Slippy, I looked at this for several minutes. My first though was, "Yikes, ol' Slip speaks worse Sicilian than I do--which takes a real quantum leap..."

I did try Russian, tovarisch, and got nothing. Same for Guatemalan and Argentinian. Yavanna was stumped, also.

My grandmother sounded it out phonetically. It is Sicilian, and means, "Great testicles want to grow."

She chortled and hung up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.