380 For a carry gun? - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

380 For a carry gun?

This is a discussion on 380 For a carry gun? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by The Tourist This is my P238, and this is how it has ridden for untold years. (No one believes me, but I ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 380 For a carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    This is my P238, and this is how it has ridden for untold years.

(No one believes me, but I believe I am more dangerous with a edged defensive tool. In that, I have three years training).

I am very impression with that metal finish. The name of it escapes me, and the entire page of P238s does not show the same finish as the one on my pistol. However, it has been banged on chair backs and errant panhandlers and not one scratch appears on the entire handgun. Here's the link page and a picture:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...=1556984601827

Attachment 97807
    What holster is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    What holster is that?
    There are three pictures on the previous page.

I also have a full coverage leather holster, but that's more of a winter item.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

As with any caliber, it's all about the ammo and trigger control. Once upon a time, the .380 was considered under powered for self defense. I don't know about that, there are lots of old wives tales and myths on the Internet about handguns in general. I carry a .380, Ruger LCP II, with two spare mags, usually in a pocket holster. The ammo makers realized there is a large demand out there for improved .380 ammo, to which they are producing quality self defense ammo, which has kicked the .380 up a notch to where it is hard to tell the difference between that and 9mm. I'm using Hornady Critical Defense, but there are other brands that work just as well. Check out Lucky Gunner's ballistic tests for side-by-side comparisons of many brands and calibers. Pretty good stuff. The brand of firearm and type of ammo is important, but not as important as trigger control and shot placement.
    Notold63 and RubberDuck like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I’ve had pretty good results with Remington golden saber 102 grain brass jacket hollow points in a ruger lcp vs water jugs at 10 yards. They provided the best accuracy and damage. Totally blowing out the back of 1 gallon water jugs. They cycle well too with the round contour before the hollow point. The two that passed through were after most of the water drained out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 380 For a carry gun?-29c818c6-1d62-430e-94a6-a8713d451f2b_1557548610840.png  

380 For a carry gun?-b297a650-9c63-4e5a-9fbd-36e900092ffa_1557548739274.jpeg  

BTW, about that P238 holster, I've had it for so long I forgot where I bought it. I went to look for a label on it, and I either removed it or it never had one. Sorry I am not able to give you guys more info. It does work well, it is quite secure and it presents with just a thumb-break and a little tug.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    BTW, about that P238 holster, I've had it for so long I forgot where I bought it. I went to look for a label on it, and I either removed it or it never had one. Sorry I am not able to give you guys more info. It does work well, it is quite secure and it presents with just a thumb-break and a little tug.
    That sounds like a vacation in Thailand.....

N
    Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I'm looking for a carry gun and I'm looking at a 380. Does the 380
    have enough punch power? Most time if it's self defense it's close range

I thought this was a cool little Colt
    Attachment 97713
    I often carry a Colt Mustang in .380. I read somewhere that ballistics of the .380 is very similar to that of the .36 caliber cap and ball pistol. “Wild Bill” Hickock’s favorite pair of pistols were Navy Colts in .36 caliber, and he didn’t’ have any problem bringing down those who he shot at. As is often said, the most important factor is bullet placement.
    Suck it up buttercup.

Anything is better than throwing a stick I carry a lcp at times mostly in summer with shorts and quick trips to the store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased a 3-inch Kimber in 9x19mm instead of my current 3-inch in .45 ACP.

Ammunition is cheaper for both practice and defense. That, and while I do not perceive the recoil to be that much, any deviation might mean lost time to get back on target. However, all the stuff has been purchased, and if the pistol is needed it will only be used once anyway.

Love the S&W Bodyguard. Only thing I would change is I'd like to have a mag extension for it. There are several options for the G43 and Shield. Maybe the BG is so small that adding an extension would defeat the purpose but I think it could add enough length to get a full grip (and an extra round or two) and still remain extremely concealable.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links