1911 question,,,
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

1911 question,,,

This is a discussion on 1911 question,,, within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I have a question about the 1911, Does the mil spec full size 1911 9mm and a 45ACP have the same frame? If so can ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: 1911 question,,,

1911 question,,,

I have a question about the 1911, Does the mil spec full size 1911 9mm and a 45ACP have the same frame?
    If so can a 9mm be converted to 45ACP by switching a few parts?
    MisterMills357 and RedLion like this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I have a question about the 1911, Does the mil spec full size 1911 9mm and a 45ACP have the same frame?
    If so can a 9mm be converted to 45ACP by switching a few parts?
    Yes. I have one I switch out between .45 and .38 super (9x23 in size I think) You really have to watch out though, not all 1911s are milspec, there are ramped barrels, series 70/80 slides (you can use a series 80 slide on a series 70 frame, but you have to remove the firing pin blocking plunger)
    Last edited by jimb1972; 04-24-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    MisterMills357 and RedLion like this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

That technolgy is a bit out dated. Have you ever tired a Sig?
    MisterMills357 and Grinch2 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

If you want to get really, really technical and picky, if the pistol in question is not "mil spec" it is not really a 1911 or 1911A1, but merely a look alike.
    If'n it ain"t like John Moses Browning designed it and like it was adopted by the US Government in 1911, or as modified in 1924, or any changes made by Colt after Browning's death it is a pretender. A wannabe. A clone. A variant.

But, since everyone uses the number 1911 to describe any "1911 like" pistol, it seems to be here to stay as a part of our American language.
    And I will not begrudge anyone that uses it.
    But I do retain the right to be an old curmudgeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 04-24-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    inceptor, Denton, dwight55 and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Excuse me for a bit.
    I have to go fondle my Colt Series 70 Government Model MkIV.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I qualled on them in the Navy but I never understood the love affair for them. They were great guns for their time.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by keith9365 View Post
    I qualled on them in the Navy but I never understood the love affair for them. They were great guns for their time.
    They are the best combat handguns ever designed.
    I'm talking battlefield conditions, not a quick little self defense situation on a Saturday night. Combat versus gun fight.

I have quite a few firearms. The last two that I would ever get rid of are my M1 Garand and my Colt Government Model. These two designs have stood the ultimate tests, and did not fail.
    Did you know a 1911 45 ACP was used by a parachuting American pilot to shoot down a Jap Zero he thought was going to machine gun him?

I read that story!
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    They are the best combat handguns ever designed.
    I'm talking battlefield conditions, not a quick little self defense situation on a Saturday night. Combat versus gun fight.

I have quite a few firearms. The last two that I would ever get rid of are my M1 Garand and my Colt Government Model. These two designs have stood the ultimate tests, and did not fail.
    Did you know a 1911 45 ACP was used by a parachuting American pilot to shoot down a Jap Zero he thought was going to machine gun him?
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    If you want to get really, really technical and picky, if the pistol in question is not "mil spec" it is not really a 1911 or 1911A1, but merely a look alike.
    If'n it ain"t like John Moses Browning designed it and like it was adopted by the US Government in 1911, or as modified in 1924, or any changes made by Colt after Browning's death it is a pretender. A wannabe. A clone. A variant.

But, since everyone uses the number 1911 to describe any "1911 like" pistol, it seems to be here to stay as a part of our American language.
    And I will not begrudge anyone that uses it.
    But I do retain the right to be an old curmudgeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol
    OK,, So all my 1911s (I have collected a few) are Colts all but one. Are my later model Colts "A clone. A variant."?
    stowlin likes this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    OK,, So all my 1911s (I have collected a few) are Colts all but one. Are my later model Colts "A clone. A variant."?
    Since the original 1911 was a Colt, designed by a Colt employee (John Browning), any design change made by Colt after the year 1911 still qualify. Such as the Colt Commander, or Colt Officers Model.
    That is why I included "or any changes made by Colt after Browning's death" in my statement.

I have two Colts, and a RIA Government Model. IF my Colt parts will interchange with the RIA, then it too is a true 1911. Just like the non-Colt manufacturers who produced them under contract for the military. Singer parts will interchange with Remington Rand and Colt.

I have not gotten around to see if things like the barrel, slide, etc of my RIA will swap with my full size Colt.

But, this is all minutia in the grand scheme of things. If that Canadian company (I forget the name) wants to call their double stack double action a 1911 because it LOOKS like one, that's up to them. But I know better.
    dwight55 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links