Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle. - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle.

This is a discussion on Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle. within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Mad Trapper You are very fortunate to have one of "Hook's" works of art. Even more so to have met him. He ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    You are very fortunate to have one of "Hook's" works of art. Even more so to have met him. He had quite a legacy

Boutin, Gerald J. | Georgia Public Broadcasting
    I put that rifle in a military gun case, stowed it in the safe and always shot an M1 that Hook rebarreled for me. I doubt that I will ever use that piece of history. The funny thing is, M14 aficionados take one look at that rifle and say, "that's a Hook Boutin special." He was a nice guy that I miss a lot.

FWIW, he got to test the FN FAL series of rifles and told me he preferred the M14. Today that rifle is still in service, but they put a stock costing a grand on them. Over the years I've owned standard ones and the Squad Scout. When it comes to accuracy, bolt action rifles have an inherent advantage, but the M14 allows you to make very quick follow up shots. If I were in a SHTF scenario with only one rifle, the M1a with a couple of mods would be up to the task.
    Denton, Mad Trapper and RedLion like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Not about how I or anyone feels it is historic fact The M14 was a failure it is not the magic rifle it has been hyped up to. Yes with work it can be made to be a great bench shooter. But then again the other options of the the day were better.
    Smitty901, What you present as facts simply aren't true. They are opinions. There are people on the battlefield today with a souped up M14 and they are confident with them.

If you think about it, they have not been tested in the kinds of wars we had prior to WWII. They hold their a price for a reason. It is my opinion that some people did not like the M14 because there were better sniper weapons. Then again, they were backed up by a squad of guys with high capacity M16 rifles. The M14 failed as a squad automatic weapon since even Rambo couldn't control it in fully auto.

But, as a Main Battle Rifle, it's a formidable tool.
    Denton and Mad Trapper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Resister View Post
    I put that rifle in a military gun case, stowed it in the safe and always shot an M1 that Hook rebarreled for me. I doubt that I will ever use that piece of history. The funny thing is, M14 aficionados take one look at that rifle and say, "that's a Hook Boutin special." He was a nice guy that I miss a lot.

FWIW, he got to test the FN FAL series of rifles and told me he preferred the M14. Today that rifle is still in service, but they put a stock costing a grand on them. Over the years I've owned standard ones and the Squad Scout. When it comes to accuracy, bolt action rifles have an inherent advantage, but the M14 allows you to make very quick follow up shots. If I were in a SHTF scenario with only one rifle, the M1a with a couple of mods would be up to the task.
    Yes Hook taught Glen Nelson. What a warrior, teacher, marksman, good man.....

Would like to hear about Hook's comments on M14 trials?

I've some nice bolts and we've heard spew about M700 rifles. I'll take a M70 any day. Have had a bunch of pre-64 in 06 and 300 Win. The M700 were not the equal and I've had the defective ones that shot the round when the safety was released, won't happen on a M70, ever. Now we'll hear about the M24 spew ...........again........

Ready for M70 bashing? Get your earplugs ready..........
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I do like piston better. I have piston AR15's to compare them to and they run cooler and cleaner. Advantage to DI less moving parts, less total parts
    And DI tend to be more accurate overall at least in AR platforms.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    And DI tend to be more accurate overall at least in AR platforms.
    In my case the gas piston ones we have had better barrels on them so they were easy sub MOA. What I like most was shooting the heck out of them wipe off done some claimed better control of recoil , can't say I noticed that. Depending on the system you go with they are easy to switch back and forth f you want.
    RedLion and Denton like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

In my case the gas piston ones we have had better barrels on them so they were easy sub MOA. What I like most was shooting the heck out of them wipe off done some claimed better control of recoil , can't say I noticed that. Depending on the system you go with they are easy to switch back and forth f you want.
    I have had an Adams Arms AR15 carbine piston kit sitting around for a couple of years that I got for $199 on sale. I have yet to get the bug to use it on a build.
    Smitty901 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    I have had an Adams Arms AR15 carbine piston kit sitting around for a couple of years that I got for $199 on sale. I have yet to get the bug to use it on a build.
    They come in handy if you want to run a suppressor . gas block is adjustable for it
    RedLion and Denton like this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

They come in handy if you want to run a suppressor . gas block is adjustable for it
    All of the AR's that I have built the past couple of years and going forward have adjustable gas blocks. It makes sense to me to put one on all AR's as you can now get them for only $10-20 more than a standard gas block. The better adjustable gas blocks like superlative arms allows you to adjust for a particular round, but also has a "bleed off" function that pushes extra gas out of the front of the block instead of sending back through the system.
    I do not have any suppressors yet, but will some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post

How can one compare a match grade M14 to a match grad M24?

Easy. Just like when I saw my Dad peeing in the woods when I was little and asked him what it was. He said, "Why son, this is called a penis...and its a perfect penis too." A week later Sally saw me peeing and asked "What is that?" and I said, "Sally, this is a penis. And if it was two inches shorter it would be a perfect penis."

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Easy. Just like when I saw my Dad peeing in the woods when I was little and asked him what it was. He said, "Why son, this is called a penis...and its a perfect penis too." A week later Sally saw me peeing and asked "What is that?" and I said, "Sally, this is a penis. And if it was two inches shorter it would be a perfect penis."
    I committed a sin. All I did was state the truth. The M14 was a failure . They wanted to replace it before it was ever issued. Sure you can take a M14 to a pro let them work some magic on it and make a dam good match weapon out of it.
    It just was not the magical battle rifle it was hype to be over the years. Failure means it did not do what was expected. I do think they expected to much from it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links