Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle. - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle.

This is a discussion on Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle. within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; RPD: My condolences. You are in my prayers. Trovilcl: Before you spend a bunch of money on upgrades to your rifle, how much have you ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Opinions of a .308 Battle rifle.

RPD: My condolences. You are in my prayers.

Trovilcl: Before you spend a bunch of money on upgrades to your rifle, how much have you spent on ammo just getting to know it the way it is set up now? This is not meant to be condescending, although it probably sounds like it is. But FAR too often we start to rely on gadgets in place of good old fashioned practice and repetition.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Inor is correct. You can't make a good judgement on what needs attention until you know how it shoots as is. Does it actually fit you, is the trigger gritty, stiff. Can the trigger be adjusted. Can the sights be adjusted. New or used have you cleaned the bore. Not all guns shoot the same with different ammo. What do you expect out of the gun as far as accuracy. Will you use it for plinking, hunting or serious target shooting? When you've answered these questions you should have a good idea which way to good updating your gun. Just my .02
    Inor and JoeC95 like this.

Happy New Year Peeps!

I'm another with a M1A. I went with the Scout Squad variant and have a Leupold LER fixed power "scout scope" on QD rings. Strong & simple.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trovilcl View Post
    I agree, and its mostly my generation that is the disgrace to the men hat built this great country. I for one though; like to think of myself as one of the few hardworking men under 30 that isnt afraid to get a little bloody or dirty.

As @Old SF Guy said, be responsible for yourself and your family. We in our generation all had a hand in what this country has come to.
    Three things to think about:

1) Less TV, more books
    2) Learn to be a critical thinker
    3) Be a man, take responsibility

Sounds as tho you are on the right path.

As to the 308 question, I would suggest @Inor 's take on the matter, learn the rifle before you put a lot of extra's on it. Is it reliable and true? does it fit your intent? Send rounds down range before you spend a lot of money on a rifle that's going to be a back up.
    JoeC95 likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    Happy New Year Peeps!

I'm another with a M1A. I went with the Scout Squad variant and have a Leupold LER fixed power "scout scope" on QD rings. Strong & simple.
    Blasphemy!!

Just kidding.
    Denton and Hemi45 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    If I’m a little hard core today, I just came from the funeral service of a Brother, a Marine.
    Agape' prayers sent. I'm sorry to hear the news.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Oh yeah guys, I've put about 2000 rounds through this rifle, as well as developed my own loads with the 178gr ELD-x. It's a great gun, but in its current set up; I am handicapped when it comes to close range stuff. Not to mention the gun weighed in at 12lbs without a mag. As a gunsmith, I have made sure to put this firearm through the tests. I modified the trigger to a nice 4 1/2 lbs, and have done other things to make sure it functions properly and reliably. One thing I have noticed though is that it doesnt like the 3rd gen SR-25 Pmags. It'll only shoot em well if I file a little on the mags, but 2nd gens work great.

As for the scope and stuff, I am just using what I have in the rifle.Trying to do a trade for the 2x ACOG as the scope I have has about the same value. In regards to the training, though I have been lacking on it for about a year, I plan on having some field time as one of my new years resolutions. haha.
    Inor and JoeC95 like this.

Plain and simple, You cannot beat the 308 - 7.62x51 round for hitting power, distance, etc.

The standard 556/223 can easily be deflect by brush and doesn't have the power of the 308.

The only problem with the platform is the ammo weight. If you can hump the ammo you need.

I can easily carry 12 mags on my person, plus enough rounds in stripper clips to sustain myself for quite awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I like my AR15's and I wouldn't feel under armed carrying one, but I prefer the 308 battle rifle!

It's kind of like the old Ford/Chevy deal. It's what you like and what you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by trovilcl View Post
    So the rifle is a Aero Precision .308 AR. It has a 18" barrel with Mlok rail. I had a standard A2 stock with large grip on it and a Nikon Monarch 7 4-16x50 and aero precision lightweight single piece mount on it. I had it set up for a precision rifle, with my own loads in it and everything. However, after much consideration I have decided to go to a battle rifle set up; engaging targets between 5-600 yards efficiently.

If im getting overrun, well then i've been shooting improperly, but I have a sidearm and a knife tomahawk combination for that purpose. Patriot?

Don't think I dont like the ole M1A's and M14's. Shoot, thats a dream gun of mine. This rifle was free though, and I just don't think you can beat free.
    Aero precision makes a very good product. Their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage and have MOA guarantee.

Few older people here are going to trash me.
    The m14 was in standard issue from about 1959 to 1970. They were replacing them mid 60's already That is not long. Sadly in the real world the M14 failed. They had been looking for a replacement most of that time. The real value of the 308 was in the automatic weapons the M60 and the 240 versions. The m14 had a lot of variations and it was used as a sniper rifle and is still used today by some designated marksmen but that is fading. The 308 was also chosen for the M40 and m24 Remington sniper rifles That were ahead of their time back then.
    We know standard issue is not the only time a weapon is used so yes the m14 was around before and after. The M14 was to long to heavy for most mission requirements. Funny part the M16 was also found to be to long. That is another reason you got the m4 version.
    There is a good likely hood the 308 may fade away in US military once the new version of the 6.8 is rolled out. It will not be over night but likely to happen. The sniper rifles are moving to 300 win mag more and more. The M60 long gone 240 is not used as a Squad machine gun. And the current Squad SAW 249 will be replaced with 6.8. of some type.
    It hurts but truth gets buried by myth and hype. Due to failings of the m14 the M16 was first considered in about 1957. The AR10 had been seen as better than the m14. But was passed over.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links