Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Facts About Guns

20K views 105 replies 22 participants last post by  RedLion 
#1 ·
I am going to try to lump facts about guns and research into a single thread so that it is accessible to folks if interested.

I will start with
John Lott Destroys Left's Go-To Gun Control Study
Lankford's study has been referenced extensively by the left to show that the U.S. has more mass shootings than other countries. But according to Lott, the problem with the study is that it simply is not accurate.

On December 4, Breitbart News reported that Lott's CPRC found the U.S. is not even in the top 50 in the per capita frequency on the list of countries that witnessed mass shootings from 1998 to 2015. Lott's sources are accessible to those disagree with his findings.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/12/16/john-lott-destroys-lefts-gun-control-study/

#55 ·
RedLion, there is a debate in my area about our CCW provision. Some say to keep our status secret, many others say to make it known.

My wife and I are in the "make it known" category. Our friends understand, and the criminals do not matter. Besides, did you ever see the unmitigated junk that a criminal carries? I had to laugh once when a thug pulled out a SW 629, pointed it at a cop and fired. Everyone winced, but the gun just went "click."

As the thug was bulldozed to the floor, a cop opened the cylinder of the 629, and found an odd assortment of rounds. Each chamber had two .22LR rounds jammed into them.

When the cops asked the thug why he did that, he "reminded" the officers that his revolver was a .44, and not having any .44 caliber rounds, he simply substituted two .22LRs...

I hope I meet this stellar member of our society, it's better than meeting a really dangerous one!

#56 ·
Another study of interest.....

Study: 'Assault Weapons' and Magazine Bans Do Not Lower Homicide Rates
The study was headed by Boston University School of Public Health's Michael Siegel and another listed study author was Harvard gun control advocate David Hemenway.

The study, The Impact of State Firearm Laws on Homicide and Suicide Deaths in the USA, 1991-2016: a Panel Study, isolated four states to study ten different types of gun control to see if certain gun controls were successful in reducing homicide and/or suicide rates. Via their research, they discovered that "high-capacity" magazine and "assault weapons" bans do not lower homicide rates.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/04/01/study-assault-weapons-and-magazine-bans-do-not-lower-homicide-rates/

#57 ·
Reactions: Michael_Js
#60 ·
More about Red Flag laws not working, ever.....

Despite the sacrifices, the evidence shows no benefits from these laws. Looking at data from 1970 through 2017, Red Flag laws appear to have had no significant effect on murder, suicide, the number of people killed in mass public shootings, robbery, aggravated assault or burglary. There is some evidence that rape rates rise. These laws apparently do not save lives.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/4/the-folly-of-red-flag-gun-laws/

#61 ·
#63 ·
Just read that Daly City, next to San Francisco in CA my old haunt has finally killed the SF Cow Palace Gun Show, a show with decades of history to end this year. I got to visit a real gun show in Texas so it’s not like that in CA but still it’s what they had. In the testimony before the board which killed the gun show a police Chief was asked how many cases of gun violence there were due to transactions at this show? The Chief was clear in his response: NONE, zero, not a one. Advocates still demanded the show end to curb gun violence to which the show never once contributed.

#64 ·
Kind of a "no shit Sherlock" claim, but......

Major New Research on School Safety: Schools that Allow Teachers to Carry Guns haven't seen school shootings during school hours
There has yet to be a single case of someone being wounded or killed from a shooting, let alone a mass public shooting, between 6 AM and midnight at a school that lets teachers carry guns. Fears of teachers carrying guns in terms of such problems as students obtaining teachers guns have not occurred at all, and there was only one accidental discharge outside of school hours with no one was really harmed. While there have not been any problems at schools with armed teachers, the number of people killed at other schools has increased significantly - doubling between 2001 and 2008 versus 2009 and 2018.
Rectangle Plot Slope Font Parallel

https://crimeresearch.org/2019/05/major-new-research-on-school-safety-schools-that-allow-teachers-to-carry-guns-havent-seen-school-shootings-during-school-hours/

#69 ·
#65 ·
#67 ·
More of those peskie facts that gun grabbers do not like......

"Gun Crime" is a Made Up Word from the Anti-Gun World, Here are the Real Numbers
Some notables.....

53% of all shootings are by black men under 30. So, 3% of the US population does more than ½ the killing. 83% of all shootings are gang and drug-related.

Only about 7% of all shootings from a rifle or shotgun and less than 40% of that 7% involve Modern Sporting Rifles.

The U.S. ranks 11th in mass shootings for industrialized nations. 50% of the counties in the US will not have a murder within their boundary. 2% of the counties had 53% of all the murders in the U.S.
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/gun-crime-is-a-made-up-word-from-the-anti-gun-world-here-are-the-real-numbers/#axzz5oeoZIUKs

#72 ·
Mass Shootings by the Numbers, What You've Been Told is a Lie
Here are the three big TRUTHS the left is lying about.
◦78% of mass shooting do NOT use an "Assault Rifle"
◦As a Percentage of the population, whites, and Hispanics are the LEAST likely to do a mass shooting.
◦Gun Control laws have NO effect on mass shootings.

Only 15 of the 67 events involved an "AR patterned" firearm; they are used in less than 22% of mass shootings. Only 22% of all mass shooting used AR style rifles.

As a Percentage of the population, most shooters are of middle eastern descent.
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/06/mass-shootings-by-the-numbers-is-a-lie/#axzz5sQUyJyEc

#73 ·
#74 ·
#76 ·
@RedLion, I think it's obvious by now that I use humor in many facets of my life, including here in the forum. What might seem odd if we were to meet is the amount of ordnanace I carry in my daily life.

Yes, I am "dead serious" about the despoilers we might meet. However, I will not turn my life over to all the bogey-men out there that I might never meet. I intend to enjoy life, every drop of it. I might carry an automatic pistol, a spare magazine and one or three polished knives. But I refuse to let those implements rule my life.

For example, I've been carrying a polished Gerber folder. However, I clip the thing to my jeans with all the disinterest of the handkerchief I also carry. I will not be defined by the negatives in society. I bought fire insurance, too, but I'm not going to obsess about flames...

#78 ·
@bigwheel, I decided that if I was going to lug weapons I'd better know how to use them. Despite having pistols for decades, I took a local class. As for edged weapons, I took a few years of blade training. I carry polished edged tools, and yes, a shiv (there is no 'e' in shiv, BTW) is always within arm's reach.

But here's the kicker. I didn't get "meaner" by looking for training. I grew calmer, the world wasn't a spooky place anymore. I knew what to look for and what to do about it.

#79 ·
A reminder of who really are the mass shooters in the U.S.....overwhelmingly black gang bangers.....

But in the two-week run-up to Gilroy, there were 36 other mass shootings from coast to coast - and 34 of those shooters were black. One was white and one Hispanic. These results echo a New York Times story from 2016 that stated, much to the surprise and chagrin of the reporters, that whenever there are three or more victims of gunfire, 75 percent of shooters in America are black.
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/after_gilroy_mass_shootings_a_white_thing_oh_hell_no.html

#80 ·
#85 ·
@RedLion, you bring up a point that still baffles me.

For example, if a gunman shoots four or more victims, he's a "mass shooter." If he only fires at three victims he's a "plinker." Personally, I think a sniper is a sniper, ergo he's terrorist. But then, that doesn't make the 5:00 o'clock news thrilling and engaging.

If a mother finds out her son has been killed, does she say, "Well, it's better here that in Syria, eleven boys were killed there today."

At the end of the day I hate the news media as much as I do the sniper.

#86 ·
@RedLion, you bring up a point that still baffles me.

For example, if a gunman shoots four or more victims, he's a "mass shooter." .........
It's an arbitrary number, chosen to promote the leftist agenda. Just like, magically, 10-rd (or less) mags are somehow 'safer'.

By that number, a guy who kills his three kids and wife in a murder/suicide situation, it's considered a 'mass shooting'.

#90 ·
I might be outdated?...:tango_face_wink:....

The FBI used to consider someone a "mass murderer" if they killed four or more people during one event, regardless of weapons used. But starting in 2013, federal statutes defined "mass killing" as three or more people killed, regardless of weapons. And unlike the tracker, the tally doesn't include the killer if he or she is eventually killed by law enforcement or takes his or her own life.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/03/what-makes-a-mass-shooting-in-america/?noredirect=on

#95 ·
New CPRC Research: Mass Public Shootings are much higher in the rest of the world and increasing much more quickly
By our count, the US makes up less than 1.1% of the mass public shooters, 1.49% of their murders, and 2.20% of their attacks. All these are much less than the US's 4.6% share of the world population. Attacks in the US are not only less frequent than other countries, they are also much less deadly on average.
Out of the 97 countries where we have identified mass public shootings occurring, the United States ranks 64th in the per capita frequency of these attacks and 65th in the murder rate.
https://crimeresearch.org/2018/11/new-cprc-research-mass-public-shootings-are-much-higher-in-the-rest-of-the-world-and-increasing-much-more-quickly/

#96 ·
Good news.

America's New Shooters: Increasingly Female, Younger and Urban
the number of "target shooters" in the nation rose from 34.4 million Americans in 2009 to 52.1 million Americans in 2018-a jump of 51% in "new target shooters."
the new target shooter is more likely to be female and younger than established shooters. A full 47% (nearly half) of the new target shooters are women-compared to just 22% of established shooters being female.
Meanwhile, 47% of these new shooters live in urban and suburban locales. Also a smaller but growing percentage of these new shooters are from minority groups.
https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2019/8/24/america-s-new-shooters-increasingly-female-younger-and-urban/

#99 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.