Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Planning on buying that hi-cap semi-auto rifle? You should do so before the midterms.

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  WhatTheHeck 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 · (Edited)
Maybe good advice for some. Have all I would ever need . But then again it really never was about needs.
The end of the world for firearms has darn near come a dozen times. We have seen prices hit the sky, then come back to normal . For a while we have seen them at rock bottom for some. It will keep doing that until one day they are band or regulated out of the market .
Cost average buy what you feel you need first. Once that is filled pick a few of your wants and set prices you are willing to pay and consider a real deal. When they hit your target Buy.

Reactions: Slippy
#6 ·
The Democrats have mentioned taxing ammunition to make it too costly to shoot.
If by some disaster they were to gain the House, the Senate and the White House and use a ammunition tax to get around a pro-2ndA SC, a day at the range with a semi-auto rifle, pistol could get real expensive real quick.

#7 ·
I remember the "Clinton gun ban." You would go to a gun show, and venders used to make igloos out of dozens of hi-cap Kalashnikov magazines. I heard that high caps would be date stamped. I think I owned one of all the accoutrements I owned.

Having said that, I am on the trail of a breakdown 10/22 and a P938 in .22LR. My vest says Μολὼν λαβέ so I might as well walk the walk.

#15 · (Edited)
I know that many of you have learned your lesson but there are always newbies (like me) who need advice and encouragement. People got this idea that because Trump is in office and Republicans control everything that all is well and good in Mayberry. It can all change in a heartbeat. As always, buy cheap and buy while you can.
You are 100% correct. That is why you fill you needs first. But putting yourself in financial hard ship is also a problem in it's self some times you have to either settle for something less than what you want, or wait. Not much in life is not a gamble at one level or another.
Nothing sucks more than buying a few great weapons only to have to sell them a year down the road to cover expenses . And likely lose you tail in a panic sale.

Reactions: ekim
#13 ·
Air.
Seriously.
If some high stupidity were to happen, the aforementioned Assault Weapons Ban, taxing of ammunition, other gross encroachment of the 2ndA, air rifles, pistols even air ammunition are totally looked over.
Want a .50 caliber air rifle and ammunition delivered to your door, no paperwork, done.
There are a few states looking at making it legal to hunt with air. Deer even. It is blackpowder distance, but it can get the job done.

For maintaining the fundamentals of marksmanship, there is not a lot of difference between a .22 air rifle and a .22LR.
.22 air ammunition is even cheaper than .22LR.

#14 · (Edited)
Three things when it comes to prepping ammo: stack it high, stack it deep, stack it wide.

Another way is to try to standardize calibers. Limit your firearms to the calibers you stock. Regaurdless of election cycle never trust politicans to do the right thing. Write, call, email and fax you opinions to federal and state delegates that represent you. Belong to a second amendment organization or five. Include them in your correspondence. Above all vote. Get your friends who have similar opinions to vote too. Just tell those who think differently they get to vote on Wednesday do to incivility this year.

Reactions: ekim
#18 ·
Also there is a difference between Cheap and lower cost. Low cost is a PSA or Anderson lower purchased at a sale price. Cheap in a Bubba johns discount count lower with no real history to it. When I tell son one a PSA lower or upper will do the job . I back it up . I have a few and use them. hang in there you get through all this stuff in time S will not hit the fan this week. Nice part about Wisconsin lot of the problem children leave.

Reactions: Slippy
#23 ·
Dammit @Slippy, you done scared off another one.
@GoodSam, he means well, but does like to take jabs now and then. Don't let his newbie initiation push you away.
Your point is sound. Buy while the buying is good and prices are low.
We can always pray for a red wave, but we're preppers by gum, and we prepare for the worst!

#26 ·
Semi-auto is good has it's place. But don't forget the simple almost fault proof bolt action rifle. The basic shot guns. Both generally half the cost of most semi auto's and very effective. That 30-30 marlin at the local estate sale or gun show that is in good shape and selling at a low cost.

Reactions: WhatTheHeck
#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.