Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

First purchase of a handgun in Calif delayed.....

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Marchosias 
#1 ·
Just recently started preparing and finally went to purchase a handgun....Picked a HK p2000sk brand new. Two days later the shop notifies me that they have put a delay on the purchase for no specific amount of time. The shop owner said it might be because I have a similar name to other felons etc. Let me say I have NO RECORD, no felonies or misdemeanors. Applied in 2008 for an armed guard permit and was approved though I never went that route ultimately. Would having an expired medical marijuana card ultimately screw a potential gun owner? And I reiterate, EXPIRED for years....

Being California, I dont need to explain to you all how this shit hole is politically...Just wondering if this is typical? The owner said maybe one in ten are delayed but gave me no ultimate time line on the potential opening.

Anyone else experience this and if so, what happened?

#2 ·
Expired or otherwise, I am betting the marijuana card is the culprit.

#8 · (Edited)
I am not in CA (thank God) and I've purchased many firearms and I have never been delayed once except for my most recent purchase of a snub-nose revolver out of state in IL. The LGS I bought it from told me the last 6 or 7 guys from WI had all gotten delayed for some reason. I had to wait to pick it up the next day after I had cleared the background check as they were closing soon.

While your long expired medical marijuana card could have something to do with your delay don't assume that is the reason yet. I have spoken to one gun dealer who suspects that some people get delayed simply because whoever it was doing the back ground checks that day was lazy and didn't feel like doing them right then or it could be some anti-gun jerk-wad who deliberately delays lawful buyers just because he or she can. I think the gun dealer is right, that these things do happen sometimes.

However, those kind of delays usually take no more then a day. The fact that it has already been at least 2 days for you is a reason for concern although I don't know how these things play out in CA.

I wish you the best of luck and do get back to us with any updates.

#9 ·
The knee jerk reaction to taking guns away from marijuana users is to say YES. And they (The left) will use that.
If they can stop you from purchasing a gun because of legal marijuana use next it's anyone using antidepressants
Or anyone that looks for help with ptsd or any mental problems of any kind.

How about a guy that has had enough and snaps at work throws a fit and quits. You need counseling and
oh yea we'll take your guns before you hurt anybody

If they get them your next

Sometimes you need to stand up for the rights of someone doing something you don't personally care for in the name of freedom.
This is how cracks forming in the base of freedom.

#10 ·
Will dittos the theory of the expired marriedjomama card is the problem. A pal and I were discussing this issue today. He say thankfully its recreational these days. Too sad of a situation..but similar to how the VA works. Anybody who gets any good pschho meds from them can rest assured their second ammendment rights are gone.

#12 ·
Having bought two handguns in CA including one from San Fransickos last gun store I don’t believe the MJ card is an issue. For a CCW impossibility in SF unless your name is Feinstein it would but for buying a gun it wouldn’t. I predict the OP has a common name and it will delay his ability to get a gun but if he was approved to carry for security he shouldn’t have a trouble with the background check for purchasing.

#13 ·
Appreciate all the feedback, thank you...10-11 will be the tenth day of waiting. Purchased it on 10/1...Called the shop today and the owner told me there was no update. I also called a few other shops around my area and they all said the same thing. AS LONG AS THE CARD IS NOT VALID/EXPIRED, YOU WILL BE FINE...Of course, they said when purchasing dont tell them directly of any usage etc which I didnt do initially. One of you stated there might be some Hillary supporter delaying for the hell of it and weirdly enough I wouldnt put it past them.
Will update this as it goes along. Perhaps this might help another member going thru this and every bit of info can help us all.....

#17 ·
Just a quick update...On day 22 and NOTHING....isnt California great? Initial buy date was Oct 1.......Three weeks and counting. Oh I did get a letter dated Oct 5 saying it was being delayed because THE DEPARTMENT HAS IDENTIFIED STATE/FEDERAL RECORDS MATCHING YOUR IDENTIFYING INFORMATION OR A STOLEN FIREARM RECORD THAT IF CONFIRMED WOULD PROHIBIT THE PURCHASE. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE PROHIBITION RECORD IS NOT YOURS AND MAY BELONG TO SOMEONE ELSE. IN THE EVENT WE CANT MAKE A DETERMINATION AFTER 30 DAYS THE DEALER CAN DELIVER THE FIREARM TO YOU AT THEIR DISCRETION..

3 weeks.....unfckng real.....Will update shortly.....

#18 ·
Update.......Still havent heard anything from Justice Dept regarding my handgun purchase. Purchase occured on Oct 1. According to the letter that was sent it has 30 days to make a determination..... If unable, then THE DEALER WILL BE NOTIFIED.
This leaves alot of questions. What if they dont notify the dealer in a 'timely' manner? And it goes beyond the 30 day period...

Either way, I should know in two days time.....Can you imagine going thru this every time you wanted to purchase an item?

#22 ·
FINALLY!

After 35 days of waiting, the determination came back. UNDETERMINED......huh? So the decision was left to the gun store owner who said no problem~!

So now I have my 9mm HK P2000 sk......Next up, trying to get a CCW. That should be fun!

So for anyone else out here in political hell, it CAN be done, even if this shithole state does everything it can to delay and obstruct. Hopefully this info can help someone else.....I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

Next up....Sig Sauer 380....Or a Mossberg 500. Mariner maybe?

#24 ·
FINALLY!

After 35 days of waiting, the determination came back. UNDETERMINED......huh? So the decision was left to the gun store owner who said no problem~!

So now I have my 9mm HK P2000 sk......Next up, trying to get a CCW. That should be fun!

So for anyone else out here in political hell, it CAN be done, even if this shithole state does everything it can to delay and obstruct. Hopefully this info can help someone else.....I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

Next up....Sig Sauer 380....Or a Mossberg 500. Mariner maybe?
You have a nice handgun, I'd go with the shotgun if I where you. I've got a Mossberg 500 that I got as a gift in my youth. It is a field shotgun but could be easily converted to a defense gun should I want to. Its an awesome gun.

Oh ya, congrats on your purchase! I have a little experience with the p2000, its a good gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.