Light bullet in a 1911 - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Light bullet in a 1911

This is a discussion on Light bullet in a 1911 within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by dsdmmat I used to shoot 155 grain LSWCs out of my 1911 while playing IPSC games. As long as they were loaded ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Light bullet in a 1911

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    I used to shoot 155 grain LSWCs out of my 1911 while playing IPSC games. As long as they were loaded to the proper length they ran fine. I finally ran out of them last year and have switched over to 200 LSWCs, it is too difficult to find them and I really don't want to start casting bullets again (I have a Lee 6 cavity mold for the 155 grain bullet).

Lighter bullets are great, they have increased speed which leads to deeper penetration. They also tend to have less felt recoil.
    Pardon me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but why is a lighter bullet allowing less recoil?
    I switched to heavier bullets for my 9mm weapons because they have less recoil. Why would the .45 ACP be different?
    Chiefster23 likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Dittos on different bullet weights and velocities having differnet point of impact. As a general rule a light fast moving round will hit lower than heavier slower models. According to the gun books thats cause the bullet gets out of the barrel qauicker and is less influenced by the recoil. Whew..thats all I know. Now why Jack Booted thugs want to carry full metal jacket bullets..I sure aint sure.lol. Hypothetical shots through car doors maybe?
    Denton likes this.

The Good Cop

The lightest 45 ACP rounds I have ever fired were professionally reloaded 185 grain lead semi wad cutters. This was from a Colt Commander.

I tend to stick with 230 grain hard ball, because short, fat, and slow will still get the job done.

@Smitty901 , I used to shoot rats at the trash dump at the firebase in Nam with an M3A1 Submachine gun, caliber 45 ACP, aka "Greasegun".
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 10-08-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    Denton and hawgrider like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Pardon me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but why is a lighter bullet allowing less recoil?
    I switched to heavier bullets for my 9mm weapons because they have less recoil. Why would the .45 ACP be different?
    I only load lead bullets to around 1000 FPS ( give or take 50 FPS) to avoid leading the barrel. Are you shooting jacketed bullets or Factory loads? The factory lighter bullets are going much faster than the factory heavier bullets.

My lighter bullets are going Pretty close to the same speed as the heavy ones, hence the reduced felt recoil.

It may only be my perception but, I have never felt more recoil from lighter bullets.
    Last edited by dsdmmat; 10-08-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Denton likes this.
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Denton it also may be the difference in pressures or the size and weight of the guns for the two cartridges.
    the 9mm is a 35,000 to 38,500 psi round (+p).
    the 45 ACP is 21,000 to 23,000 psi round (+p)
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    Denton it also may be the difference in pressures or the size and weight of the guns for the two cartridges.
    the 9mm is a 35,000 to 38,500 psi round (+p).
    the 45 ACP is 21,000 to 23,000 psi round (+p)
    Thanks! I'm a semi-educated whiteboy from south Alabama and you are using numbers and stuff, (Not kidding) but I'll listen to you.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

I bought two of the initial stainless Mark IV Series 80 1911s with the firing pin block. I also owned the small Detonics to carry for work. All were .45 ACP.

I reloaded linotype bullets, 185 grain Hornady hollow points and used surplus 230 grain hardball in all three pistols.

I have to be honest guys, I could not tell the difference in recoil when doing a comparison of all the pistols and ammunition.
    dsdmmat likes this.

I shoot some IDPA with a 9mm. For full disclosure, I am a poor competitor usually finishing near the bottom of pack. I usually practice with 115 grain bullets because they are cheaper. But some friends who are very good shooters recommended heavier bullets because the “perceived” recoil is less. (Those are their words). The best way I can describe it is the lighter bullets cause a “snap” recoil and the heavier bullets cause more of a “push”. Follow up shots are faster with the heavier bullets. I cannot give a satisfactory explanation for this using math and physics, but the recoils feel very different and my meager match scores are always better with the heavy bullets.

All that said, I still usually practice mostly with 115 grain bullets cause it’s cheaper. And I usually shoot matches with the heavier bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I shoot some IDPA with a 9mm. For full disclosure, I am a poor competitor usually finishing near the bottom of pack. I usually practice with 115 grain bullets because they are cheaper. But some friends who are very good shooters recommended heavier bullets because the “perceived” recoil is less. (Those are their words). The best way I can describe it is the lighter bullets cause a “snap” recoil and the heavier bullets cause more of a “push”. Follow up shots are faster with the heavier bullets. I cannot give a satisfactory explanation for this using math and physics, but the recoils feel very different and my meager match scores are always better with the heavy bullets.

All that said, I still usually practice mostly with 115 grain bullets cause it’s cheaper. And I usually shoot matches with the heavier bullets.
    The only round I have found snappy no matter what grain bullet you run is the 40S&W. No matter the bullet weight those rounds have a pronounced recoil compared to the 45 and the 9mm. Especially if you are shooting a small polymer framed gun. I have the 40 and 45 in full sized 1911s and the 40 is definately a snappy round.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The lightest 45 ACP rounds I have ever fired were professionally reloaded 185 grain lead semi wad cutters. This was from a Colt Commander.

I tend to stick with 230 grain hard ball, because short, fat, and slow will still get the job done.

@Smitty901 , I used to shoot rats at the trash dump at the firebase in Nam with an M3A1 Submachine gun, caliber 45 ACP, aka "Greasegun".
    Grease gun is fun long as someone else is pay for the ammo.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links