45aCP or 9mm - Page 9
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

45aCP or 9mm

This is a discussion on 45aCP or 9mm within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Instead of arguing calibers, try this exercise: Who is most likely to win a gunfight? The person to get shots on target first or the ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: 45aCP or 9mm

Instead of arguing calibers, try this exercise:

Who is most likely to win a gunfight? The person to get shots on target first or the one who gets shot first?
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

45 ACP - big but slow
    9mm - not as big but much faster

At point blank range the terminal ballistics are very comparable. At longer ranges the 45 slows down and the HP may not expand. The 9 will probably retain enough velocity to still expand.

The fact of the matter is if you are worried about which one is better, you should just grab a rifle.

A 9mm will kill the body but a .45 kills the soul
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi45 View Post
    A 9mm will kill the body but a .45 kills the soul
    Need a 44 magnum for that.

45 acp, because sometimes short fat and slow can still do the job
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Banned

I was a cocked and locked fan for decades, but switched to the Kahr CW9 for a practice gun and the Kahr CM9 for carry (pants pocket holster) The option of having your hand on the gun while still being discrete, saving at least 1/4 second on the draw stroke, without any worries about getting a bad grasp on the gun butt, not properly clearing the concealing garment, etc, make all the difference. If you seriously grind off the corners, you can make a micro 9mm, in a kydex rig, look exactly like a wallet in your pocket. If you then carry your money on a clip in your pocket, and your cards, etc, in either an ankle pouch or a traveler's belt pouch, there's zero need of a shirt over the pocket. If you start first, the draw and hit (at arms-length( can take less than .40 second, and at 10 ft, only .50 second. You can learn to do the latter as you side-step, which allows you to beat a man who's got a gun pointed at you. However, your bullet hitting him does not necessarily render him unable to still shoot you, perhaps multiple times. So such a thing is only for when you think that he's going to shoot you, regardless of what you do. Sold my other handguns as I have no real need of them. Pocket 9mm's are not all that durable, so I shoot the CM9 very little and then only with 380 type reloads, maybe 50 rds per year of full charge ammo. The wear and fouling of practice belong on the practice-spare, not on the actual carry-gun. Being told to "hand it over" or "show me your hands" puts things right where I want them to be.
    Last edited by okey; 09-13-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Real Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT E View Post
    Kentucky State Police moved to 357 Magnum in the early 70's because they kept having problems with people on PCP....It was the end of the problems.

I love my .45's and I have two loads....A light load of bullseye and a 180 grain wad cutter for plinking and a max load of Hodgdon CFE under a 160 grain Barnes Tac XP or equivalent weight Hollow point running 1150 FPS. Its faster than 3 or 4 of the 357 magnum slower loads and slightly heavier. I carry the hotter loads concealed carry and they shoot well in all my pistols.... After a shooting if you think you would have problems in court keep in mind you or I could have chosen a S&W 500 but didn't....Killing capability of what you carry is a moot point.I carry for dog and bear protection as well.

Back to the 9mm.... A 147 grain (MAX WEIGHT) 9mm hollow point whatever at max load cant reach the speed / weight or ft pounds of knock down power of my 160 grain Barnes in a .45 ACP....Go to the manuals and the reloading books.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5JLrBGRl2
    They've switched back to Glock 9mm's with hot ammo
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Banned

first you have to HIT, good hits, without being hit yourself, or the power is moot. heavy recoil slows down repeat hits. Most shots in combat completely miss the attacker and most hits are poor hits. Also, there's often more than one attacker, so repeat hit speed IS important. NOBODY, using a lw, compact ccw pistol, gets repeat hits as fast with a heavy ..45 load as they can with a 9mm and there's no such thing as a controlable .45 pocket pistol. The "hand in pocket" start is a tremendous advantage. In bad weather, you have to fight thru TWO garments to get at a belt rig. The pocket gun can be in the hand, in the coat pocket. If you keep your hands in your pockets, you also dont have to be removing gloves, or getting poor hits due to wearing gloves. I can just "palm" rig and all between pants pocket and coat pocket. You'll do nothing of the kind with a larger pistol.

If you could do half of what you claim, you'd be able to write a legible post.

You don't sound like you're trying to convince us.
    Denton likes this.
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

After years for looking at data, gel tests, reading medical reports and buying way too many
    carry pistols and trying them out and holsters here is my 2 cents. I think any modern ammo
    9MM thru 45ACP is just fine I see little difference in the data but saying that I do see a however slight edge
    to the 357MAG. I love my 357MAG revolvers but they are only 6, 7 and 2 have 8 shot capability. I have tried
    to match up the hottest 357SIG ammo to my EDC to mirror 357MAG and M&Pc gives me considerable more rounds than the revolver
    especially if I use the full size mags!

I'd go with 10MM but I think if you used one lawyers would go after you saying "you used a round the EF BEE EYE found too powerful
    and you are a killer!"

My 2 cents your mileage may wary!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links