Combat Conditioning - Intro
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Combat Conditioning - Intro within the Hand to Hand Combat and Self Defense forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I figure I have a few cents to place here so I will state a few things I have learned over the years. Avoid>Rifle>Sidearm>Blade>Fists This ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Combat Conditioning - Intro

I figure I have a few cents to place here so I will state a few things I have learned over the years.

Avoid>Rifle>Sidearm>Blade>Fists This is the order of priority in any situation I find myself. I am not a fighter, I am however highly skilled in fighting. What I mean by that is I would never choose to win any confrontation by force, I would rather there not be a confrontation. However if forced into it, which of course I have been. I have and will end it.

So lets get into my first thoughts.

Conditioning does not matter if a man does not have the strength to endure the first 60 seconds. So there is naturally a balance in between what you do to improve your strength and then what you do to improve your endurance.

Some of my past, In the spring of 1995 I ran for a local city college. Weighing a hair above 155 I pushed my small frame to a 4:01 1500 meter. For those of you doing the math that is a sprint for us white guys at nearly the distance of a mile. It takes a certain state of mind to be able to do that. Moving forward to 1996, a change in my way of life brought 3 squares a day and lifestyle that changed my body. Within 3 months I gained 30 pds. Years later at the fine age of 37 I posted this picture to some friends
    Combat Conditioning - Intro-becauseican.jpg
    I stated, because I still can. This was my final set of 5 during my workout just before my final fight.
    Combat Conditioning - Intro-prefight.jpg.
    This was the night before weighings. I have had people tell me I juiced, tell me I was blood doping all of the above. The nice part of my current affliction is that, those type of items would kill me and yet, I retain this type of strength. Which helps those who claimed such things realize they were wrong. I simply know how to get it done, and would like to share what I have learned. Being Strength or Condition and that grey space between it can be found.

Things that must be remember and used.

1. Tracking. For strength I currently use JeFIT. I had developed a personal website before smartphones to help me hone myself but now days this is the better option that allows tracking of workouts and review. Just setup a workout and stick with it until you hit a plateau.

2. Review. If you are tracking over a period you can bring up graphs that resemble your change, your slumps and your gains. Compare them. we are all different and a perfect workout for you takes time to build by analyzing yourself.

3. Slow. I showed the picture of my current bench lifts. Would you believe when I hit my numbers I only raise by a 2.5 on each side.... Every time? This reduces the chance of injury and also gives you more time to rebuild. A slow raise over time will equal to bigger gains over a year then slapping on great amounts of weight and missing your numbers. This is after all a lifestyle.

4. Combine with 3, Start low aim high. When jumping into a new workout realize you need to build into it. Start at an easy level but raise every time. Low weight, low mileage or low HiiT levels.

5. Pace. The Entire Workout Matters as a Whole, not the Segment. Set limits to what you need to lift, or speeds you need to run for each segment. If you only need to lift something 7 times stop there. You have a segment after this that will wear you down more. Do not burn yourself out for the rest of the workout if your strength has improved enough to hit the needed numbers. My standard is 10/10/7/5 for each segment. For Speed workout on the track, if you need a 2:30 half mile, run a 2:30, do not push to 2:10, save it for the next push and improve the overall workout.

6. Raise. When you hit the numbers you are after. RAISE. If only one segment of your workout improves the others will follow in time.

7. Patience. You have time, there is no rush.

8. Dedication. None of this matters if you do not stick with it.

This is just general rules, there are mental markers, end goal related workouts and strategies I can get into if you guys are interested in this type of information.

Tootles!
    Nathan Jefferson likes this.

I think many have an unrealistic view of how long they can last in a fight. Of coarse the variables are many but spend five minutes on the mat with someone who has training and you'll find real quickly that it takes a lot of gas in the tank to do so. I have been on the mat with boxers who have great stamina for their style of fighting to see them fade quickly when on the mat. So I agree with most everything listed above but would only ad get on the mat and spar. You will not know how long you can last till you push yourself to exhaustion and then push further.
    I am here to teach what I know and learn what I can everyday. When one assumes he knows everything then he has proven himself a fool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I figure I have a few cents to place here so I will state a few things I have learned over the years.

Avoid>Rifle>Sidearm>Blade>Fists This is the order of priority in any situation I find myself. I am not a fighter, I am however highly skilled in fighting. What I mean by that is I would never choose to win any confrontation by force, I would rather there not be a confrontation. However if forced into it, which of course I have been. I have and will end it.

So lets get into my first thoughts.
    Hmm I'm not totally convinced. I have been convinced by other stuff that action is stronger than reaction. I may be reading wrong into this but you seem to be saying don't fight until you are attacked, I could be wrong in this interpretation. IMO you need to recognize the need to act, if you need to react it may already be too late. Bear in mind this is in a situation where there is a clear and present danger and an impression of potential risk to life or security of operation.

You need to have a plan and act first, not be the one who needs to respond after an attack is initiated.

What is the JeFIT?

I like your suggestions on working out.

What I like to do is just keep adding weight. I'm in a Nautalis room now which basically means do circuits. Although I am not a model of perfection to me what is streamlined for me now is do 12 reps and if you can add weight aim for atleast 8 reps. Get all kinds of different types of machines, freeweights, aerobic freedive ball balancing, hydraulic, freebody etc.. in there.. change it up keep changing it up hit muscle groups you don't normally hit, and try something new every workout. Oh and give time for recovery, if you feel the recovery soreness don't work it. Saunas and steamers and pools are great recovery agents hot and cold therapy works... amino acids are your friend, those doms candies are your friend, get good nutrition and suppliments as required. use your bodies systems to your advantage, work out to high energy music that will life you up, stay happy and positive love working out it is endurance enhancing. Peak your adrenaline it builds your adrenaline and increases your max output. Learn to breath, and don't think you can't do it, put your mind into your muscles and believe in it more than them.

I forgot the best one.. train by training for what you are training for.. if you want to get strong to climb - climb to get strong, you want to be able to do a judo throw.. do judo throws, you want to be able to leap, leap and so on.
    Last edited by Will2; 01-24-2014 at 10:43 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

1st off I was beginning to wonder if this type of information was wanted here, thanks you two for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy101 View Post
    I think many have an unrealistic view of how long they can last in a fight.
    Agreed 100%, The first 5 minute match in any tournament is easy, you barely feel it but.... deep into some of the BJJ tournament brackets mostly 3 opponent sometimes 4 rarely 5-6 like this one
    Combat Conditioning - Intro-cruise-custom-.jpg

OOps.... Wrong picture! sorry, I'll hide that one. This one...
    Combat Conditioning - Intro-panams-custom-.jpg
    I was 5 matches deep in this one and yes, that is a silver. I lost in the final. I was exhausted. You can see how lean I was at that moment is had nothing to do with not training hard. That is just the nature of the fight. You get tired, dam tired. All you can do is learn to pace yourself and create leverage that does not utilize your strength to reduce exhaustion. That is, after the first 60 seconds.

One of the things I was trying to present was my frame, size and speed. Unfortunately writing that at work I might have missed the point. Over the years some less athletic or smaller statue fighters have used tactics or techniques against me that have had a profound enough effect to be a reminder of those time. Knowing how to handle someone like me, may save you. Many of these techniques have involved wearing my storm or getting me to chase.

Combat Conditioning - Intro-dexter-custom-.jpg
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Hmm I'm not totally convinced. I have been convinced by other stuff that action is stronger than reaction. I may be reading wrong into this but you seem to be saying don't fight until you are attacked, I could be wrong in this interpretation. IMO you need to recognize the need to act, if you need to react it may already be too late. Bear in mind this is in a situation where there is a clear and present danger and an impression of potential risk to life or security of operation.
    Not being convinced is perfect ask! I love to answer. What I was saying is that fists or hand to hand combat would be my last choice however

"You should not have a favorite weapon. To become overfamiliar with one weapon is as much a fault as not knowing it sufficiently well...It is bad for commanders...to have likes and dislikes." - Miyamoto Musashi

With that in mind it should still be visited.

I mentioned in a post earlier about a guy I saw at winco who flashed his bright orange folder at me after I was looking at him post him asking his woman to buy him a can of top ramen. I felt for the guy but that action and the way he looked threw my threat meter off. I had a similar folder in my pocket, but I would not have used it. I guarantee before he reached 5 feet from me I would of hit him in the head with a can of pork and beans. So to clarify, I was stating my order of action, not my desire to wait to take action when there is a threat. You may notice that even after he flashed the folder, the story ends? My course of action was to walk away, why do anything more when it is not needed?

You can find JeFit in the google app store, you can use it to create workouts such as Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs. Then add workouts by exercise or superset. It keeps track of your weight, reps and rest times. You you click what you do as you do it and you have an instant log you can review here Jefit | Best Android and iPhone Workout, Fitness, Exercise and Bodybuilding App | Workout Tracking Software
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Some good info Silverback, I especially like two of your points - I'll give a little expansion/personal thoughts on them, feel free to critique.

It is best to avoid conflict than get into it - i'd rather not get into a single rifle/knife/fist fight than win 10. In my opinion the number 1 and 2 things to have in a fight are being able to see it coming before it is there and being able to remove yourself from the situation before it arrives. Although you cannot always remove yourself, situational awareness and not looking like a target are very important.

The first 60 seconds of a fight are brutal and much more exhausting than most people realize. This summer I took a pistol combatives class - what to do if your gun is empty or malfunctions - at the end of the day each person spent two 60 second rounds with a person n a padded suit. A third of the class didn't go the second round even though they had a good 10 minutes of rest before their turn came back up. Even in my rounds I was beyond exhausted and shaky and that is when I was running ~20 miles a week and going to 3-5 Krav classes, which are GREAT cardio.
    shotlady and Silverback like this.

Some good points on this thread. If you are in a situation and have come to the decision that there is going to be a fight. Be the first one to attack and then do not stop until the threat is no longer a threat. I see so many times that someone will punch the other guy and then step back and wait to see what happens. That is when they need to be in there finishing off the threat.

A street fight is a LOT different than a ring fight. My dad told me when I was a wee little boy. There is no such thing as a fair fight. You do what you have to to win. If that means gouging someones eyeball out and pulling out every bit of hair on their head. Do whatever you have to do.. You also want to end it as soon as possible. 60 seconds is a long friggin time to be fighting.. A fight should last no longer than 7 seconds.. A wise man told me that one time and I have always remembered it..
    Check out my blog Hidden Content Also SurvivingTheBreaks on Facebook.. My radio show will be goin live next week on Hidden Content so be sure to listen out.

Super Moderator

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    I've only lost 2 fights in my entire life...

One time I tripped and the other time the car wouldn't start..
    Denton and Silverback like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Yes, endurance is key!
    I noticed a big difference in the way the spec ops folks trained and the way MPs seemed to like training when they went to the gym. MPs seemed to prefer getting all bulked up - as much as they could and still consume mass quantities of donuts! (Let me be, I was an MP, therefore I can poke at us!)
    Spec-ops guys were much more into endurance. Lighter weights at really high reps; short rest periods and then more reps. They were nuts on the track, too.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Yes, endurance is key!
    I noticed a big difference in the way the spec ops folks trained and the way MPs seemed to like training when they went to the gym. MPs seemed to prefer getting all bulked up - as much as they could and still consume mass quantities of donuts! (Let me be, I was an MP, therefore I can poke at us!)
    Spec-ops guys were much more into endurance. Lighter weights at really high reps; short rest periods and then more reps. They were nuts on the track, too.

I cant tell you the number of big scary guys that withered away on the mat in a real fight. But if they could get a hold on you then your in trouble...

But one should also consider how far are you willing to go in a fight. There can be no half measures when fighting for your life and in that instance I will do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible...
    Last edited by BamaBoy101; 01-26-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    I am here to teach what I know and learn what I can everyday. When one assumes he knows everything then he has proven himself a fool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links