Suggestions for home learning
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Suggestions for home learning within the Hand to Hand Combat and Self Defense forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I know that there is no substitute for quality training from a well seasoned instructor, however if I am looking for home training materials what ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Suggestions for home learning

I know that there is no substitute for quality training from a well seasoned instructor, however if I am looking for home training materials what suggestions do you guys have? I just don't have any time to go to a local class with my busy Work/ school and family schedule . Thanks
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Are we talking Rithmatic or righting here?
    Old SF Guy likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I'd imagine classes and practical experience would be more beneficial in this area. Maybe see if there are one-time classes offered near you and work it in to your schedule.

A quick search brings up this: How to Defend Yourself if Attacked: 10 Steps
    I suppose that's as good a place as any to start. You can research more in to each 'step'. Such as more about reading their aggression level, or how best to 'disarm' them using their list of suggestions, then branch out from there.
    :: Mia

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Are we talking Rithmatic or righting here?
    Ree tawkrin rath, rite?

On a serious note, I digress.

There is nothing I can think of that you can do at home that would really get your prepped for a real-steel situation, even casual attendance of a training course wouldn't do that - only constant practice. So short of putting your wife in surprise chokeholds, playing the knock out game with your coworkers or getting into knife fights with raccoons there isn't a whole lot.

I would suggest just working out and staying in shape - cardio, pushups, situps, and toss the ole medicine ball - boring crap but it has proven effective in lieu of sitting on your couch, watching Doomsday Preppers and uncontrollably sobbing into a lean cuisine

You can always channel your inner Stallone and punch brick walls or heavy bags until you shatter your wrist bones?

Don't shirk on your firearms training either, you'd be surprised how helpful some snap caps and dry fire exercises are, doing dime drills to correct overcamming, etc...consult your manual to make sure you can repeatedly dry fire your weapon, I had a 1st gen Ruger P345D that didn't like being dry fired at all

Quote Originally Posted by 1775Firearms View Post
    I know that there is no substitute for quality training from a well seasoned instructor, however if I am looking for home training materials what suggestions do you guys have? I just don't have any time to go to a local class with my busy Work/ school and family schedule . Thanks
    What kind of training are you looking for ???????????????????
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Hello there.

Im not saying that you shouldn't look into taking classes by a experienced fighter, but to answer your question I can perhaps help with some personal experience.

I didn't have time to take a fighting class either. I started to look into different video's, internet posts ect. for techniques which I could use,

Along with a friend who also wanted to train in hand to hand combat and self defence, I started to train these techniques.

I think the best ways to go when it comes to martial arts are these arts:

-Krav maga
    -ninjutsu
    -Jiu jitsu
    -Filipino martial arts

these are personal preferences, but i think when combined these arts really help with disarming / knocking down a opponent.

the sources I used for training are;

https://www.youtube.com/user/FunkerTactical/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SuubUrbanNinja/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kenprimo/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kravmagashop/videos

I hope this helped

~Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Hello there.

Im not saying that you shouldn't look into taking classes by a experienced fighter, but to answer your question I can perhaps help with some personal experience.

I didn't have time to take a fighting class either. I started to look into different video's, internet posts ect. for techniques which I could use,

Along with a friend who also wanted to train in hand to hand combat and self defence, I started to train these techniques.

I think the best ways to go when it comes to martial arts are these arts:

-Krav maga
    -ninjutsu
    -Jiu jitsu
    -Filipino martial arts

these are personal preferences, but i think when combined these arts really help with disarming / knocking down a opponent.

the sources I used for training are;

https://www.youtube.com/user/FunkerTactical/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SuubUrbanNinja/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kenprimo/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kravmagashop/videos

I hope this helped

~Dutchie
    Pssst Dutchie,

Please take this bit of advice from your new friend Slippy. Fighting and Self Defense is akin to a Sport. In order to be good at a Sport you must practice/train. Don't get me wrong, YouTube is great to learn how to bake a cake, but for fighting and self defense, don't rely on YOuTube

Don't be this guy. Thanks;

A Watchman, PCH5150 and hawgrider like this.

A lot of the martial arts classes actually ARE designed for the "sport", which is different than a life or death finish it as quick as you can and don't worry about accidentally killing or permanently maiming them confrontation.

I am no expert at all, but I really like this site. It offers a different perspective and goes into various things like how the brain functions under an adrenaline overload. No Nonsense Self Defense

One line that always struck me as funny is a comment in their "Stalkers" section which says...

If he even thought you had what it takes to wait in the shadows near his front door with a shotgun he wouldn't be doing it. Not that we are recommending this course of action, but stalkers do know who not to mess with.

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations
    Last edited by Sonya; 11-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.

For at home learning I recommend Master Ken:

A Watchman and Sonya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1775Firearms View Post
    If you do not have time for classes / formal school, . . . you will have to put yourself in the driver's seat for that education.

Whether it is shooting, . . . fighting, . . . bugging out, . . . prepping, . . .

HERE, . . . is the best source you will find. Unfortunately, . . . it is also home to some really bad info.

Take your time, . . . take one subject at a time, . . . Google is your friend, . . . look at the subject from several different viewpoints.

Just as an example, . . . my own prepping has soared tremendously as I've looked into just a "comment" made by someone here or on another board. And some things I thought were one way, . . . turned out to be totally different.

But, . . . as an old instructor, . . . let me give you THE most important piece of it all. You will have to make the time, . . . dedicated time, . . . every day, . . . Monday / Wednesday / Friday, . . . once a week, . . . once every other week, . . . HOWEVER YOU WANT TO DO IT, . . . but you will have to do it on a schedule, . . . just like you did in school.

When you set down to go to that "class", . . . do not get up until you can go to your log book and write down: "Today I learned how to _________________". You have to find out and be able to articulate / perform one "something" from every class, . . . or you are wasting your time.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links