Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Suggestions for home learning

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  MisterMills357 
#1 ·
I know that there is no substitute for quality training from a well seasoned instructor, however if I am looking for home training materials what suggestions do you guys have? I just don't have any time to go to a local class with my busy Work/ school and family schedule . Thanks :)

#4 ·
Ree tawkrin rath, rite?

On a serious note, I digress.

There is nothing I can think of that you can do at home that would really get your prepped for a real-steel situation, even casual attendance of a training course wouldn't do that - only constant practice. So short of putting your wife in surprise chokeholds, playing the knock out game with your coworkers or getting into knife fights with raccoons there isn't a whole lot.

I would suggest just working out and staying in shape - cardio, pushups, situps, and toss the ole medicine ball - boring crap but it has proven effective in lieu of sitting on your couch, watching Doomsday Preppers and uncontrollably sobbing into a lean cuisine

You can always channel your inner Stallone and punch brick walls or heavy bags until you shatter your wrist bones?

Don't shirk on your firearms training either, you'd be surprised how helpful some snap caps and dry fire exercises are, doing dime drills to correct overcamming, etc...consult your manual to make sure you can repeatedly dry fire your weapon, I had a 1st gen Ruger P345D that didn't like being dry fired at all

#3 ·
I'd imagine classes and practical experience would be more beneficial in this area. Maybe see if there are one-time classes offered near you and work it in to your schedule.

A quick search brings up this: How to Defend Yourself if Attacked: 10 Steps
I suppose that's as good a place as any to start. You can research more in to each 'step'. Such as more about reading their aggression level, or how best to 'disarm' them using their list of suggestions, then branch out from there.

#6 ·
Hello there.

Im not saying that you shouldn't look into taking classes by a experienced fighter, but to answer your question I can perhaps help with some personal experience.

I didn't have time to take a fighting class either. I started to look into different video's, internet posts ect. for techniques which I could use,

Along with a friend who also wanted to train in hand to hand combat and self defence, I started to train these techniques.

I think the best ways to go when it comes to martial arts are these arts:

-Krav maga
-ninjutsu
-Jiu jitsu
-Filipino martial arts

these are personal preferences, but i think when combined these arts really help with disarming / knocking down a opponent.

the sources I used for training are;

https://www.youtube.com/user/FunkerTactical/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuubUrbanNinja/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/kenprimo/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/kravmagashop/videos

I hope this helped

~Dutchie

#8 · (Edited)
A lot of the martial arts classes actually ARE designed for the "sport", which is different than a life or death finish it as quick as you can and don't worry about accidentally killing or permanently maiming them confrontation.

I am no expert at all, but I really like this site. It offers a different perspective and goes into various things like how the brain functions under an adrenaline overload. No Nonsense Self Defense

One line that always struck me as funny is a comment in their "Stalkers" section which says...

If he even thought you had what it takes to wait in the shadows near his front door with a shotgun he wouldn't be doing it. Not that we are recommending this course of action, but stalkers do know who not to mess with.

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations

#10 ·
If you do not have time for classes / formal school, . . . you will have to put yourself in the driver's seat for that education.

Whether it is shooting, . . . fighting, . . . bugging out, . . . prepping, . . .

HERE, . . . is the best source you will find. Unfortunately, . . . it is also home to some really bad info.

Take your time, . . . take one subject at a time, . . . Google is your friend, . . . look at the subject from several different viewpoints.

Just as an example, . . . my own prepping has soared tremendously as I've looked into just a "comment" made by someone here or on another board. And some things I thought were one way, . . . turned out to be totally different.

But, . . . as an old instructor, . . . let me give you THE most important piece of it all. You will have to make the time, . . . dedicated time, . . . every day, . . . Monday / Wednesday / Friday, . . . once a week, . . . once every other week, . . . HOWEVER YOU WANT TO DO IT, . . . but you will have to do it on a schedule, . . . just like you did in school.

When you set down to go to that "class", . . . do not get up until you can go to your log book and write down: "Today I learned how to _________________". You have to find out and be able to articulate / perform one "something" from every class, . . . or you are wasting your time.

May God bless,
Dwight

#11 ·
I am sure home learning can help to a degree. However nothing can really prepare you as well as in person training, just as "real" training can never prepare you for a "real" fight. If I learned anything over the years from when I studied KenPo was to discard any of the fancy stuff. It's cool, but the things you REALLY take away from it are the simple things (i.e. a straight punch instead of throwing a big "haymaker", and just a straight forward, chest level kick throwing your body weight into it. Aim for 6 inches BEHIND your target, etc.) I can still do the "David Lee Roth" spinning air kick, but would I ever try that in a fight?? Hell no. It's a great way to not only get your ass kicked but look stupid doing it. Hahaha.

If you have to do it at home, by yourself, I would recommend a video workout routine and get yourself a good medium bag so you can hit something that provides resistance.

#16 · (Edited)
I tried Tae Kwon Do, and I got too old for that. So, I went to my own methodology, which is carrying a staff.
I made walking staffs, some wooden, some metal; I have one with me right now, at a public library. It is a terror of a weapon, made from aluminum electrical conduit. I even painted a camo pattern on it.:vs_bananasplit:

I do not study any method, I take what I can use from any school of thought. If it works, I keep it, and if it is silly, I dump it.
With my staff, I can handle at least three attackers, there is no doubt in my mind. If I die in the melee, whoops, but I am ready for the melee.

So, that is my way of doing defense, and let me add, my kick is like a mules'. I will bet you that I can break a bone, or it will feel like I did.

Right now, I will tell you that Tae Kwon Do (Karate), Judo or Jeet Kune Do (Kung Fu) are good fighting techniques. Chuck Norris is mostly a Karate man, and Bruce Lee is mostly Kung Fu.

But, each man used his own methods, and Chuck Norris must have a dozen black belt belts, in as many schools. Chuck developed Chun Kuk Do as his own style, and Bruce developed Jeet Kune Do.

Pick your poison, and if you don't like the methods, try something else. When you do find what you like, stay with it for an extended period. You get out of it anything, what you put into it.

Forgive me if I rambled, I do that now-a-days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.