Flashlites for self defense?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Flashlites for self defense? within the Hand to Hand Combat and Self Defense forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; A lot of manufacturers put a strobe mode on their lights, ostensibly to blind and disorient your attacker. I've experimented with this, having my wife ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Flashlites for self defense?

A lot of manufacturers put a strobe mode on their lights, ostensibly to blind and disorient your attacker. I've experimented with this, having my wife put the strobe on me with my brightest light. It's dazzling for sure, but I had no trouble remembering where her COM was before the light went on, and easily pointed my finger at her. A light wouldn't be my go-to defense, especially against a gun.

Anyone have any other opinions?

Don't forget to yell, "pew, pew, pew," after turning on the strobe.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

My "go-to" flashlights also have high-intensity strobes.
    My feelings are...if you can get it activated in time and it disorients the attacker long enough to deal a swift kick to his nuts....I'd rather have the strobe than not have it.
    sideKahr and NewRiverGeorge like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

A three or four D-Cell Maglight makes an excellent baton and can split someone's skull.
    Camel923, sideKahr, Denton and 7 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The baton angle is useful. And if the stobe buys you a second to determine friend or foe prior to pulling the trigger it did it’s job. Light is a two way street like a laser. It lets all around you know where you are.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

The way I was taught is that the light will instantly give away your location. You don't use it unless you think you know where the offender is. Once you are sure where the offender is you then blink the light just for a second to verify. You can then side step a couple paces turn the light on and then neutralize the target.

You want to sidestep or move slightly because once you tap that light the offender knows where you're at and then can shoot at that direction. By side-stepping you're moving out of a kill zone.

Keep in mind you're not going to do this in one sitting you need to practice and train.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MaterielGeneral; 06-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

On second thought, this light looks pretty good.
    And you don't have to yell, "pew, pew, pew."
    Name:  pistol W light.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  6.6 KB
    sideKahr and Denton like this.

The strobe could buy a precious second or two if you got your finger on the button, but that's probably not going to be the case in most instances.

As stated, a big ol' Mag light is handy, but even a small, say 6" light can inflict some damage if your getting hammered in the head and face with the lens end a few times. I'm starting to see some of the Tac lights with some gnarly looking lens bezels that would do some damage.
    Last edited by Lunatic Wrench; 06-09-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    sideKahr and Robie like this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Ok, maybe it's just my flashlites. I have to press the button multiple times to get to strobe. Anyone else have this???
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Ok, maybe it's just my flashlites. I have to press the button multiple times to get to strobe. Anyone else have this???
    Yeah I don't like that kind of feature. I recently bought a dozen or so led flashlights with red light only LED's just to avoid scrolling. I don't want a white light to accidentally come on and ruin my night vision or give me away from a distance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    paraquack likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links