Declaration of Independence
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Declaration of Independence within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; In about an hour from now (my time) it will be 4 July 2014. What better way to bring up this topic than during the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Declaration of Independence

Banned

In about an hour from now (my time) it will be 4 July 2014. What better way to bring up this topic than during the annual observance of our Independence:

Outcasts and Outlaws :: View topic - Is the Declaration of Independence "Law?"

The Declaration of Independence is not law but it is a legal document which explains the reasons for breaking from England and the goals that were set for the new nation of separate but confederated states.
    It has been used as supporting evidence in courts many times and has the weight of convention. So no it is not law but it carries great meaning when interpreting the constitution and laws that are enacted.

Denton, dutch16 and SquirrelBait like this.

I read the Declaration of Independence yesterday...again. We saw the movie AMERICA too. Today God gave us the most glorious day, free from humidity and sunny as far as you can see. We took the top off the Rubicon and Mrs Slippy and I headed to the lake to see what the masses are doing. We were pleased that Americana is alive and well. We saw many men and women wearing things that they shouldn't be wearing. We even saw a guy with a top 5 mullet haircut but did not get a picture.

God has blessed us and God can Save this Once Great Republic. Happy 4th of July!
    Inor, dutch16, cam19 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    The Declaration of Independence is not law but it is a legal document which explains the reasons for breaking from England and the goals that were set for the new nation of separate but confederated states.
    It has been used as supporting evidence in courts many times and has the weight of convention. So no it is not law but it carries great meaning when interpreting the constitution and laws that are enacted.
    You obviously did not read the link. The Declaration of Independence IS law.

Quote Originally Posted by The Resister View Post
    Because you say it is?

It is not law. Don't go and give me a bunch of court decisions where it was quoted. The courts have also quoted foreign law (incorrectly). I know it is difficult for you, but try to use some common sense. How could the Declaration be law for a country that did not exist at the time it was written? Yeah, I know you are the anti-lawyer. That does not mean your opinion means anything more than mine. I do not need your resume ad nauseum again.

Super Moderator

The Declaration of Independence is a legal document. It is more than just words. It was more than just inspiration.

There is more to a lot of things than what school taught us.

The lack of such a crafted document is one of the reasons why the Confederacy was destined to fail.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by The Resister View Post
    No the Declaration is an idea...the Constitution is the law. If it were the law then imprisonment, the death penalty,slavery and many many laws on the books would be in violation of the law. Sorry R...the declaration is just an idea...not a law...not even close to it.
    SARGE7402 likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    No the Declaration is an idea...the Constitution is the law. If it were the law then imprisonment, the death penalty,slavery and many many laws on the books would be in violation of the law. Sorry R...the declaration is just an idea...not a law...not even close to it.
    No, it was a legal document issued to the rest of the world, putting it on notice.

Take a minute to look at it; look at its structure. It was not just an idea.

Nobody ever looks beyond the idea of what they are taught in school.

Come on. It is the most important document on hand.

Your notion of that document is being applied to the constitution. Why?
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

No Denton...it preceded the laws we wrote...the constitution...If your theory holds true then there is by Law...a God. and All must acknowledge that fact or the declaration is irrelevant. Therefore it is illegal to kill anyone and to do so id murder..even if done by the states. Fore it is an unalienable right to life.....which means only the granter of life can take it..God...so if one item is not upheld then the document is void.....correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    The Declaration of Independence is a legal document. It is more than just words. It was more than just inspiration.

There is more to a lot of things than what school taught us.

The lack of such a crafted document is one of the reasons why the Confederacy was destined to fail.
    It is a legal document in British Common law. There was no United States at the time it was drafted so it cannot be a legally binding document in an American court. Yes, Resister will give me a list as long as my arm tomorrow where the Declaration was used in U.S legal precedence. They are wrong. The ONLY federal law is the Constitution and the Amendments.

I love the Declaration more than most that have read it. But at the end of the day, the Declaration was drafted 13 years before there ever was a nation called the United States of America. It cannot be a binding document for a country that did not exist for another 13 years after it was signed. At best, it can be used to try to understand the mindset of the framers of the Constitution.
    Old SF Guy likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links